Author Topic: Birth in Chester - John Titus LLOYD COMPLETED  (Read 3286 times)

Offline Descendant of Murby

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Bound Family c. 1885
    • View Profile
Birth in Chester - John Titus LLOYD COMPLETED
« on: Wednesday 25 April 12 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters

I'm trying to find out more about the precise year/ date/ any other interesting details of the birth of my maternal great great grandfather John Titus Lloyd. He was born around 1816 in Chester, Cheshire, according to the census records. His father seems to be Thomas Charles Lloyd (according to John's marriage certificate in 1837 to my GG Grandmother Caroline Augusta Marshall), and Thomas Charles was a silversmith by profession. I think John Titus Lloyd's mother is Ann Titus (hence his amazing middle name). Ann Titus and Thomas Charles Lloyd were married in 1810 in Southwark (I think) and seem to have had two other sons, Thomas Charles Lloyd (c. 1812 Islington) and Alfred Charles Lloyd (c. 1822 Middlesex). I am interested to know why John Titus Lloyd was born in Chester.... when the rest of the family is doing everything in Middlesex. John Titus spent his life in Clerkenwell as far as I can see! I know lots about his life (from the census, his marriage and death certificates). He was a master shoemaker by trade and died in 1865, but his early life is still very vague. Any insight would be greatly appreciated for example, details of the record of his birth/ christening.

Many thanks in advance. I haven't asked for a 'look up' before and I'm not sure if this is the right sort of information. Apologies if not.

Descendant of Murby
Paternal side: Holmes; Brooks; Bostock; Murby; Fox; Shaw; Leedham; Toon.
Maternal side: Speaight; Bound; Taylor; Meredith; Ninnim; Luke; Lloyd; Titus; Marshall; Redpath; Herd.
Photo depicts The Bound Family c.1885. My grannie is the little girl on the left.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth in Chester - John Titus LLOYD
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi - yes that's just the right sort of information.

Here's a start (from www.familysearch.org):

Baptism, Holy Trinity, Chester

29 October 1815

John Titus LLOYD, son of Thomas & Ann

(that's all that is on the transcript, but the parish register may have more e.g. birthdate, father's occupation, family address).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 17:50 BST (UK) »
Gosh avm228 - I am IMPRESSED!  :) I haven't even had the time to log out yet! Many thanks indeed!

I wonder what on earth they were doing in Chester? They're a right bunch of Londoners from the look of it.

Descendant of Murby
Maternal side: Speaight; Bound; Taylor; Meredith; Ninnim; Luke; Lloyd; Titus; Marshall; Redpath; Herd.
Photo depicts The Bound Family c.1885. My grannie is the little girl on the left.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 17:54 BST (UK) »
You're welcome :)

Chester and silversmiths go together:

http://www.discoverchester.co.uk/ChesterSilver.html
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 18:00 BST (UK) »
That's what I love about genealogy - it's so educational! I never knew that! I wonder if his father Thomas Charles Lloyd (the silversmith himself) came from Chester as I'm pretty sure Ann Titus's parents were Londoners. So it looks increasingly like the Chester connection will be from John Titus Lloyd's paternal side..... interesting. Many thanks for your help again.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 18:10 BST (UK) »
the original parish entry of his baptism entry gives  Lower Lane as the parents abode. ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 18:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gortonboy.  I presume this is Lower Lane Chester....? Seems like they were living there then? Does the original say anything else of note?

This is so helpful.... but I must get on with cooking the tea!

Thanks so much. Will log in tomorrow to check further replies.

D of M

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 18:30 BST (UK) »
hi,,nothing else of note,,,just confirms father is a Silversmith.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Birth in Chester - John Titus LLOYD - COMPLETED
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 21:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Gortonboy for sending me the original parish baptism record. Amazing! And thanks to the other Rootschatters - you are so helpful! Seems that Thomas Charles Lloyd the Silversmith and Ann Lloyd (nee Titus) were living in Chester in Lower Lane at the time of John Titus Lloyd's birth in 1815, although their other son Thomas Charles Lloyd (junior) was born in Islington and they (Thomas and Ann) were married (I think...) in 1810 in Christchurch, Southwark. I wonder if Thomas Charles Lloyd the Silversmith was from Chester?

Is it too cheeky to ask if anyone could find out? If so, no worries. I am not sure of any of his dates apart from his marriage date (of which I am fairly sure). I guess he'd be about 25 at the time of his marriage..... therefore born in c.1785 give or take. From what avm228 says, Silversmiths and Chester go together so I guess Thomas Charles Lloyd may come from Chester himself. And that is nearer to Wales isn't it (as Lloyd sounds very Welsh to me). Or was he merely up there in a work capacity..... and was actually from Southwark?

Thanks again for all the comments so far. A happy Descendant of Murby  :D