Author Topic: Was Coleman Audley born Colman Adley  (Read 5685 times)

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Was Coleman Audley born Colman Adley
« on: Wednesday 25 April 12 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi there, can anybody help?
I have not been very successfully researching Family History in Ireland so I would appreciate a bit of help.
I have the marriage of a Coleman Audley on 20th September 1896 in England. His father was Martin Audley.
From the English 1901 & 1911censuses I know he was born in Ireland. I would appreciate some help in finding a record of his birth and his christening and whether he had any brothers or sisters.
From the Family search website I have a Colman Adley being born in 1869 in Oughterard Registration District. How do I find out this persons fathers name? If his fathers name is Martin then I believe Coleman Audley and Colman Adley are the same person.
I suspect his father Martin Audley was living at house 7 in Furnace, Gorumna Galway in the 1901 census of Ireland.
How far apart are Oughterard Registration District and Furnace, Corumna, Galway?
Many thanks in anticipation of your help.
Regards
Brian
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Was Coleman Audley born Colman Adley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 21:45 BST (UK) »
The birth details, including parents, are shown on www.familysearch.org which you say you've already checked  :-\

Colman born 14 June 1869 Lettermore, Co. Galway (page 487 in civil register)- parents Martin Adley & Biddy Walsh.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 21:55 BST (UK) »
I suspect his father Martin Audley was living at house 7 in Furnace, Gorumna Galway in the 1901 census of Ireland.
How far apart are Oughterard Registration District and Furnace, Corumna, Galway?

There are two townlands named Furnace in Co. Galway - one of c218 acres in Kilcummin civil parish and Oughterard registration district, and the other of c144 acres and in the civil parish of Clonrush and Scarriff registration district.

The Gorumna reference you mentioned is an Electoral district or D.E.D., and the townland mentioned on that 1901 return is in Kilcummin civil parish - see the top of the building return Form B1

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 22:30 BST (UK) »
several brothers and sisters are listed in the extracted records of FamilySearch -

see : Adl[e]y/Walsh births

Lettermore sub-district includes Furnace Island.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 April 12 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey and shanew147,
Many thanks for your responses to my original message. I have information on about 20 different branches of the Audley family and I am trying to lnk them all together. The last time I looked at this family was 12 months ago when the familysearch website was at the pilot stage. For some reason when I did the searches I only got the 'Ireland Civil Registration Indexes' which does not have the parents names. I feel rather stupid for not rechecking the website before writing the message!!

On the christening details for Colman Adley it states '487,LETTERMORE, GAL, IRE' what does the 487 mean.
Similarily on the christening for Mary Adley it states '0446,LETTERMORE DISTRICT, GALWAY, IRELAND, what does the 0466 mean?
Once again many thanks to you both for your help. It is going to take me some time to rework this branch of the Audley Family
Regards
Brian Audley

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 April 12 21:51 BST (UK) »
"On the christening details for Colman Adley it states '487,LETTERMORE, GAL, IRE' what does the 487 mean."
487 is the page number from the civil register.

Q"Similarily on the christening for Mary Adley it states '0446,LETTERMORE DISTRICT, GALWAY, IRELAND, what does the 0466 mean?"
Page number 446 in civil register.

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 April 12 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey,
Many thanks for answering that query
Regards
Brian

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, Can I ask for a bit more advice on this one?

From the previous information you have given me; I know that the Parents of Colman Audley  were Martin and Bridget (Biddy) Walsh.

The 1901 census of Ireland; tells me that a Martin & Bridget Audley are living at House 7 in Furnace Gorumna, Galway, with their son Patrick Audley aged 18.

Looking at the familysearch website I can find reference to the birth of a  Patrick Adley in Q1 1883. However the familysearch website does not give his parents names. Am I missing something?

At the moment I am assuming that this Patrick Audley and Colman Audley are brothers
Regards
Brian

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 23:12 BST (UK) »
The part of www.familysearch you are looking at is the civil registration index which only gives the details found in the actual indexes. The site does have some extracted Irish births which will list parents' names but doesn't cover births as recent as 1883.