Author Topic: family research Walker/manderson  (Read 14663 times)

Offline Saar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: family research
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 March 11 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Huey1,

I found your question here because I was looking for information about Franklin Manderson Walker. I believe he was a flax tradesman who had an office in Rotterdam. He bought flax (or raw linen, in dutch it is all the same word) in Holland, from my greatgrandfather, amongst others, and shipped it to Belfast. He was first married to Helen Lennie, who died in 1894.
It looks as if children got their surname from both parents, in which case Franklin could well be the son of the two people you speak about, John Long Walker and Deborah Manderson. Do you know if that is so? And do you know more about Franklin Manderson Walker? It would be nice to know. Yesterday my uncle told me that he apparently was a hero in the family, because his large picture was hanging in my greatgrandparents livingroom.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 March 11 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Saar.

Here's the marriage of Franklin Manderson Walker to Helen Lennie-
The Witness, 10 Sept.1875: WALKER--LENNIE -- Sept. 6, at Trinity Church, Cork, by the Rev. Wm. Maghill, Franklin Manderson Walker, Belfast, to Helen, daughter of J. Lennie, Belfast.

PRONI has the Will Extract: Walker Franklin Manderson of Mount Royal Whitehead county Antrim gentleman died 17 October 1924 Probate Belfast 2 March to Edward Holmes Smith lecturer Jessie Holmes Smith Cecilia Poland and Kathleen Wiley Bruce married woman. Effects £8780 11s. 11d.

Deborah Helen Walker born 29 May 1878 Cork, Co.Cork- parents Franklin Maunderson Walker & Helena Lennie
https://www.familysearch.org/#form=advanced-records
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Saar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 March 11 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! That is a quick answer! I did already find that marriage on the internet, but the daughter is new to me. I also have found a son who was killed in WW I.
Good to know how they changed the spelling of the name. That happens in Holland to, but because that is my own language, I can work out what the alternative spelling could be.

Apparently there is no record of a second marriage. Still I have a photograph of Franklin's second wife. Only yesterday we found out that she must have been his second wife, because Helen had died before the children were born that were on the photograph with Mrs Walker.
I might look for her in Holland now, since he had his office there.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 March 11 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to post LDS link with Deborah's birth so I've added it in now. From the same LDS site is a birth for a Franklin Manderson walker July/Sept.1889 in Cork and possible death registration (Franklin Walker) Oct./Dec.1889 Cork.

There's also marriage for a Franklin Manderson Walker Oct./Dec.1921 Belfast registration district volume 1 page 518 and one for Larne registration district for same quarter volume 1 page 785. Checking index in another database both list father as James Long Walker. Checking yet another source the bride in each case is Isabel Blair ___ so looks like both marriages are for the same couple  ???

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 March 11 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this other thread? (not sure why it's locked)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=515959.msg3749027;topicseen

Offline Saar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 March 11 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Aghadowey! What a lot to take in at once. I only started yesterday evening  :). This is the same person who started this discussion, so (s)he is a relative of Franklin Manderson/Maunderson Walker. Hopefully a descendant, otherwise a far away cousin. Great!

Offline Saar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 March 11 11:44 GMT (UK) »
It is still strange that only the daughter turns up in the records. That gives me the feeling that there could be more children. Their mother died in Hastings, which is rather far away. From what I am told their father had an office in Rotterdam, Holland. Even further from the family. I hope there are descendants who can tell me how that worked. Of course the people in my family who have met the Walkers all have passed away. The last one only 11 years ago.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 March 11 12:56 GMT (UK) »
The portion of the LDS site which lists extracted details is incomplete- covers 1864-1881 but even those years are not complete.

Offline Saar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 March 11 14:15 GMT (UK) »
In Holland we have a site genlias.nl which gives the opportunity to see a lot of registers from Dutch Councils, from about 1800 until 1930, depending on the type of thing you are looking for. Births are protected for a longer period, so my grandfather, born in 1901, probably is still out of sight on that website. It also depends on where something took place, because not all councils have opened their files for genlias yet. Still it is great!

About the second marriage, in 1921, that looks to me as if it is the third, because the photo I have must have been taken around 1910.