Author Topic: Thomas TURNBULL - Merchant of Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland.  (Read 27339 times)

Offline gilbert scott

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • -
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas TURNBULL - Merchant of Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 05 January 09 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeanette H my george turnbulls father was thomas mother veitch,

gilbert
ELLIOT SCOTT BURN KILBURN  MARTIN, McCREARY, ELLIOTT, ROBSON PEARSON, PEARL,  FITZPATRICK, ROGGE, MATTHEWS, ENGLISH ROBINSON, dotterer, gore, darsie, parkin,McKERROW,TAREWA new zealand, ohara

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 16:12 GMT (UK) »
George and Betty Wilson married 17th January 1774 in Hawick
In 1841 census he would be 53 and the only Thomas I can find born 1788 was a sherriff officer in Canongate Jedburgh (no family shown)
All the children are shown on the OPRs  and assuming George was 20 when he got married that would make him born about 1754ish then the oprS  show a George born7-5-1749 in Cavers(outside Hawick) with a father George but no mother shown.
I have the Turnbull OPR indexes for most of the borders(beause I am a Turnbull myself)  but cannot find Thomass marriage. In Cavers and Bedrule MIs there are loads of Turnbulls as this is where TURNBULLS originated from.
The Scottish Borders Burial officer based at Heatheryett Cemetery Galashiels keep all the burial books and if you write to her Diane she may be able to pinpoint when and where he died and is buried.If he died in Hawick the Town Hall Registrar there may also be able to help.  Happy New Year  Alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
  • One-Half of Dancing-Duo Waltzing Through 'TARDIS'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alan14578,

Have you also seen my related Topic
:[/b]

Topic: Is This 'TURNBULL' Family On Your Family Tree?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,68197.0.html

Both Topics go hand in hand, but have crossed over at times.

I have been away from my research for a while now, so maybe I will find some time to get back into it again.

I will endeavour to re-read both Topics and also my Personal Messages etc. to get a clearer perspective of the Family History.
One-Half Of 'Dancing-Duo' Waltzing Through Time & Space. 
Researching To Find Lots Of Things Not To Do.

Research Names & Areas:
Ayrshire, Sct.: BROWN / BAIRD / BURNS(BURNESS) / CAMPBELL / COWAN / HUTCHISON / REID / WYL(L)IE
Roxburghshire, Sct.: TURNBULL / VEITCH /  ELLIOT / MURRAY
Aberdeenshire, Sct.: WATT / MITCHELL
England: TOPPING / MEDLEY
Ireland: MORROW
Australia: BROWN / BAIRD / TURNBULL / WATT / TOPPING / MORROW / MEDLEY / TACKI
Germany: ECKHARDT / HUBNER / TACKI

Offline mathieson-lassie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Do and Hope
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Jeanette,
                         Apologies for butting in on this thread but i could'nt help but notice you have Watts and Mitchells from Aberdeenshire in your interests and as i am new to rootschat i could'nt quite get my head round how to contact you. i have both names in my tree from around the New Byth and Turriff area.....just wondering if we had a connection?
              Karen
Mathieson, Watt, Forrest, Duncan,Simpson, Whyte, Rainy/Rannie, Greig, Thain, Smith, Mackay, Mcintosh, Nicol, Chrichton, Lyon, McWilliam-Rothiemay & Gamrie,Banff,Boyndie,Turriff & New Byth, Aberdeenshire.
Whitehead - Bromley,Chelsfield,Halstead,Kent
Midmer-Ticehurst,Sussex/Goudhurst,Kent
Olliver & Powell- Sussex
Arnold - Surrey

Offline sandralost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 02 June 16 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hello I have a Isabella Veitch who married a William Scott (Burnmouth schoolmaster).
Isabella was daughter of Margaret Murray and Thomas or James Veitch.
Any connection here?
KIND regards Sandra (Australia)

Offline Fleek35173

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 23:03 BST (UK) »
Thomas Turnbull born 28 Aug. 1788, Hawick, Roxburghshire died 23 Sep. 1851 in Melrose, Roxburghshire was married to Janet Knox on 24 Feb 1847 just before he died.  Do you have a marriage banns for Veitch?

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 21:05 BST (UK) »
From the Hawick Transactions 4th meeting 19th April 1938 2nd paper Page 36 Wilton Cemetery. it gives reams about the Wilson family but I thought this might be interesting.re Thomas/Veitch
"(III.)  WAL'lER W.ILSON '•S DAUGHTI.!}RS:-(n)    Betty,   b.  17th  April,    1723, man"
"Geo.  Turubull,  dra.per, 14  High  Street  (who  must not  be confounded with  W:ni. and  Jnmes dropers, U HigJ1 Street, oJ' a 1ater  date), sons-George, d. 1809; W tlter,  d. 1809; Willtam d.  1806;  and   Thomas    (mru-r. Jane Veitch,   one    ooug.   Jane  an.)""waiy);  daug.-K.a.tlw.rin (mexr.   Wm .  Oliver,  issue-J3ess, Robert, and  George), ,Jt -net d.  unmal'l'.,  Eliz.a.beth  (ma.rr Jnmes  Scott,    1773- i847,  tobMconist,  *0  High  Street, ·and  town  ti:easurer, issue-William"
"1809-77, farmer, Burnhead; Eliza,betli  and  l\1argn.ret  (C 12:1,  p. 73, S.t  l\!l.ary's  Reg., 'l'ra.ns"
"1!\ctions,  1935) ; Agnes,  d. September1  1827,  UllllliiU'l'. ; Ioo.bel d. young,  1800, and  Jl!lne."
"(b)  M trgeret,  b.  August, 1759, ma.rr.  Wm.   Beck,   hosiery   manufacturer. In Hawic"
"Museum  is silvet: cup  presented to  him  by stockingmakers  of  to·wn   in   r·ecognition   of  par"

It reads Thomas married Jane Veitch , one daughter Jane. The entry for the Wilsons is about 4 pages covering all the family and worth reading the whole lot. Hope it helps.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 07 April 19 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Fleek35173,

Thomas Turnbull born 28 Aug. 1788, Hawick, Roxburghshire died 23 Sep. 1851 in Melrose, Roxburghshire was married to Janet Knox on 24 Feb 1847 just before he died.  Do you have a marriage banns for Veitch?

Not sure who you are directing your Question to, regarding Marriage Banns for 'VEITCH', as you did not mention a name, at the head of your Post.
Also, what christian name for 'VEITCH', are you referring to?

One more thing - where you have mentioned a, Thomas TURNBULL (b. 28th Aug. 1788)  married to a Janet KNOX, is this because you actually believe you have a direct connection, from this Thomas TURNBULL?

Jeanette H.

Research Names & Areas:
Ayrshire, Sct.: BROWN / BAIRD / BURNS(BURNESS) / CAMPBELL / COWAN / HUTCHISON / REID / WYL(L)IE

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 27 April 19 19:52 BST (UK) »
From the Hawick Transactions 4th meeting 19th April 1938 2nd paper Page 36 Wilton Cemetery. it gives reams about the Wilson family but I thought this might be interesting.re Thomas/Veitch

It reads Thomas married Jane Veitch , one daughter Jane. The entry for the Wilsons is about 4 pages covering all the family and worth reading the whole lot. Hope it helps.

Hello alan14578,

Thank you for bringing the 'Hawick Transactions', to my attention, I have tracked down this information and have viewed this reference to Walter WILSON's Daughter, Betty marrying George TURNBULL, the Parents of Thomas TURNBULL (b 28th Aug. 1788) - who married Jane VEITCH.  Yet another source verifying that they are my Direct Line.
My GGG. Grandparents & GGGG. Grandparents.

Thanking You
Jeanette H.

Research Names & Areas: