Author Topic: Thomas TURNBULL - Merchant of Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland.  (Read 27252 times)

Offline verbena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas TURNBULL - Merchant of Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 January 06 09:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm tracing the Park family from Denholm, Roxburghshire (Hawick is not far from Denholm).  I have a James Park (B 1813 in Morebattle, Rox) who married Margaret Turnbull - they had 3 children Thomas (B 17/7/1845), James (B 13/2/1850) and Mary (B 30/4/1852).  Any information on Margaret Turnbull would be appreciated. :)
Park Family from Roxburghshire, Scotland,
Titterington Family from Moira, Co Down, Northern Ireland
Butler & Phillips Families from Newton-Abbot, Devon, England
Logan Family from Glasgow, Scotland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 January 06 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeanette

You may have seen this already given it has been some time since your original posting.  There is an IGI entry (actual extract) for a Thomas Turnbull born on 28 Aug 1788 in Hawick to parents George (the name of Thomas's first son) and Betty Wilson (Elizabeth is the name of Thomas's second daughter) which might be worth considering. This couple also had a further 11 children all in Hawick.

Regards.
Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
  • One-Half of Dancing-Duo Waltzing Through 'TARDIS'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 January 06 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello to all RootsChat Members,
'Happy New Year' to everyone.  May we all have endless results and success in researching our Family Histories.

First of all I must thank everyone who has replied to my post, time has just got away from me over the past few months, but hopefully I can get back into my research.

Thank you for your suggestions and if I come across anything that may be of assistance to others I will certainly pass it on.

Hello to Monica, thank you for your reply.

There is an IGI entry (actual extract) for a Thomas Turnbull born on 28 Aug 1788 in Hawick to parents George (the name of Thomas's first son) and Betty Wilson (Elizabeth is the name of Thomas's second daughter) which might be worth considering. This couple also had a further 11 children all in Hawick.
Monica

Just thought I would let you know that I have been considering for quite awhile, the possibility that this could be the 'Thomas' I am looking for, the time frame seems about right, and yes the names are very similar.

At the link below, I have also previously posted a topic entitled:
Is This'TURNBULL' Family On Your Family Tree? With the hope of making contact with any possible descendants
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,68197.0.html

As a point of interest, in mid-June 2005 while searching the Wills & Testaments on the website 'Scotlands People', I came across 2 listings for

[1] TURNBULL, Jean (Mrs)  24/02/1848
alias Veitch / Widow of Thomas Turnbull / Residing at Lanton. (Type ?) Jedburgh Sheriff Office. SC62/44/15

[2] TURNBULL, Jean (Mrs)  02/03/1848
alias Veitch / Residing at Lanton / Widow of Thomas Turnbull Merchant at Hawick.
Testament Dative, Jedburgh Sheriff Court. SC62/44/14

So we now know that 'Thomas' had died prior to 1848.
I have yet to access these Wills/Testaments,  as we are currently trying to work out the best way for us in sending payment over the Internet.

Once again thank you everyone.
Its time I signed off, as it is nearly 1.00am here in Australia, and still quite warm. Currently we are having extremely hot days.  I do not think it will cool down very much overnight.

We are currently watching a Daniel O'Donnell video, performing live in concert in Dundee, Scotland.  The music is thoroughly enjoyable.  A fantastic and energetic performer.

Jeanette H.

One-Half Of 'Dancing-Duo' Waltzing Through Time & Space. 
Researching To Find Lots Of Things Not To Do.

Research Names & Areas:
Ayrshire, Sct.: BROWN / BAIRD / BURNS(BURNESS) / CAMPBELL / COWAN / HUTCHISON / REID / WYL(L)IE
Roxburghshire, Sct.: TURNBULL / VEITCH /  ELLIOT / MURRAY
Aberdeenshire, Sct.: WATT / MITCHELL
England: TOPPING / MEDLEY
Ireland: MORROW
Australia: BROWN / BAIRD / TURNBULL / WATT / TOPPING / MORROW / MEDLEY / TACKI
Germany: ECKHARDT / HUBNER / TACKI

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 January 06 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I just read your post today about searching for the death of Thomas Turnbull of Hawick.  I checked in James Wilson's unofficial register of deaths for any mention of him (this was a list kept by a Hawick solicitor during his lifetime) and there is an entry for Thomas Turnbull, merchant, died 29 Nov 1828.  He might well be yours...

Here is the link to the list anyway http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/ROX/Hawick/wilson.html

cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Clara_hutchison,

Thank you for your reply regarding Thomas Turnbull, you have reminded me that a few years ago I did come across this 'Unofficial Register of Deaths' collated by James Wilson.  I remember now that I had noted down the details of this Thomas Turnbull's death (29th November 1828), however they were so carefully filed away, that I completely forgot about it.

So I think that my next step is to track down his Death Certificate. 

Thanking you again,
Jeanette H.

Research Names & Areas:
Ayrshire, Sct.: BROWN / BAIRD / BURNS(BURNESS) / CAMPBELL / COWAN / HUTCHISON / REID / WYL(L)IE

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeanette,

The problem you will have, if this is indeed your Thomas Turnbull, is that you won't find a death cert for him, as statutory registration was not introduced until 1855.  Before this, all information was recorded in the parish registers.  I'm not sure what the Hawick OPRs are like for death records, but other ones I have looked at don't have many, so you may well be better off looking for a monumental inscription in the local cemeteries.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Clare
And many, many more...

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Clare,

You certainly were quick in replying, a coincidence that we were both on-line at the same time.   I got your message more-or-less straight away, but I have been sifting through some information trying to make sense of what I have.

Thank you for your suggestions, regarding 'Monumental Inscriptions'.  I will certainly be following up on these. 

I do have a transcript of the headstones in the 'Bedrule Kirkyard'. Which does list some of our Veitch and Murrays.  There are some Turnbulls listed but not knowing our Thomas Turnbull's family connections, it makes it difficult to piece them together at the present.

So I will just have to keep working on it, hopefully I can come across further 'Monumental Inscriptions' from other Cemeteries in Roxburghshire, in particularly around the Hawick area.

You have been a great help.
Jeanette H.

Research Names & Areas:

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I have the Monumental Inscriptions for the Liddesdale area of Roxburghshire, which has the details for the 4 churchyards in and around Castleton.  This is further south than Hawick, but if you need me to check anything, I can certainly have a scan.  I also have the Hawick and Castleton census' for 1851.

Cheers,
Clare
And many, many more...

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Clare,

Thank you for your very kind offer of assistance in relation to the 'Monumental Inscriptions' and the '1851 Census', I may take you up on your offer in the not too distant future.  At the moment I am trying to find time to search through the material that I currently have, just trying to see where my thoughts will take me.

Thanks again, hope to be in touch.
Jeanette H.

Research Names & Areas: