Author Topic: Rankins in Malton, Pickering, Middlesbrough- COMPLETED  (Read 10758 times)

Offline Ology

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rankins in Malton, Pickering, Middlesbrough- COMPLETED
« on: Friday 27 April 12 20:02 BST (UK) »
Before I cash out on certificates I wanted to check the parish records but there don't seem to be online.
Does anyone have access to any of these records.

I'm looking for Isabella Rankins marriage to Henry Lumley in 1878 Pickering. Does it have any more info e.g is she a widow?
Harriet A Rankin born 1879 birth registered in Malton district, 1881 census living with her 'grandmother' in Great Habton so may have been baptised there.
And Harriet Annie Rankin marriage to Thomas Edward Hayes in 1900 Middlesbrough.
Also any Rankins in these areaa, especially if there name is Hugh.

Note- these people relate to a thread I have on another site.

http://www.
british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php/73229-Confused-Rankin-or-Harrison

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rankins in Malton, Pickering, Middlesbrough
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 April 12 13:56 BST (UK) »
Harriet's marriage to Thomas Hayes has the reference M-AA-J..... On the Tees Valley BMDs index, this seems to indicate the marriage took place at Middlesbrough Register Office, so the only way to find out the details is by ordering the certificate.

Offline Ology

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 April 12 15:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I'll have to think about ordering it then.

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 21:23 BST (UK) »
Visited North Yorks Record Office today and found a baptism for Harriet Ann on 28 Dec 1879 at Kirby Misperton: mother's name - Isabella Rankin of Great Habton, ceremony performed by Septimus Firman.

Looked at various microfilms to try and find the 1878 marriage: Pickering, Middleton by Pickering, Thornton Dale, Ellerby, Cropton, Sinnington, Lastingham and Normanby, but not there.  No suitable non-conformist records either.  My gt grandparents married in 1887 at the Ebenezer Wesleyan chapel in Pickering.  I only found this out by ordering the certificate, there are no records for this chapel at NYRO, only later marriages from 1903 for Hungate WM.

I can't understand why Harriet was a Rankin, how come she wasn't Lumley if the marriage was J1878?

Offline Ology

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 22:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help. There are two Isabella Rankins who are somehow related to each other. Isabella born 1859 is Stockton on tees, she is the daughter of Hugh Rankin and Ann Bell Harrison. She is a servant in Great Habton in the 1881 census then marries Joseph Frank in 1881. She is the sister of the person I am looking for Jane.

In her first marriage Jane names her father as Hugh Rankin a Brass moulder but in her second marriage names her father John Harrison able seaman. I have ordered the marriage of Hugh Rankin and Ann Bell Harrison and its scheduled to arrive tomorrow so hopefully that will help me understand this. Jane was born before their marriage so I believe she could be from a previous marriage possibly that between a John Harrison and Ann Bell Simpson in 1851 Newcastle.  According to the 1861 census Ann Bell was born in 1833 Whitby.

The other Isabella Rankin was born about 1838 in Whitby she married Henry Lumley in Pickering.  I believe I have traced Isabella in the census records but because her age is inconsistent there may be some mistakes (In some census’s she is only a few years older than her son).

1871- She is living with ‘husband’ Daniel Munro in North shields. She was born 1838 Whitby living with them is son Thomas Rankin born 1861 Middlesbrough (I can’t find a marriage, not 100% sure it is the same Isabella but seems to fit) There is a birth of a Thomas Rankin in Stockton upon tees in 1861.

1881- She is living as Isabella Lumley born 1849 Whitby with granddaughter Harriet Rankin

1891- Isabella born 1853!! Whitby with son Thomas Lumley born 1863 Middlesbrough and sister!! Harriet Rankin.

1901- Isabella born 1832 Middlesbrough  with sister Mary Atkinson. This is how I discovered a link in the first place because Mary Atkinsons daughter Selina was living with her aunt, my ancestor Jane.

I think one possibility is that Isabella and Ann Bell are the same person, because Ann Bell disappears in after the 1861 census and Isabella appears. Both were born in Whitby and both were formerly Rankin. Also that would make Isabella born in 1859 her daughter and would explain why Harriet Rankin is listed as her grandaughter.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 22:37 BST (UK) »
Don;t think Ann and Isabella are te same - possible family from Whitby in 1841??

Isabella Taylor  69
Mary Bell        50
John Bell        5
Ann Bell        7
Isabella Bell        4
James Bell         1

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 May 12 11:10 BST (UK) »
1841 - Mary Bell's age is 30.

Offline Ology

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 May 12 11:41 BST (UK) »
I’ve had a look into that. And found the family in the 1851 census
Isabella Thompson 78
Betsey Thompson 42 daughter
Mary A Bell daughter, widow 40
Ann G Bell granddaughter 16
James Bell Grandson 11
George Bell  grandson 9
William Bell grandson 5

However in the 1861 census, Ann Gardener Bell is a servant . Whereas my Ann Bell is already married living in Middlesbrough.

Offline Ology

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 May 12 11:16 BST (UK) »
I now have the marriage certificate of Hugh Baird Rankin and Ann Bell Harrison. They were married in a register office, Ann’s birth is about 1833, she was a spinster, her father was John Harrison Labourer and she was living East St Middlesbrough. Because Ann's maiden name is Harrison, that blows my theory that Jane was born in a previous marriage.

I have located the family in the 1861 census, living Lower East St, Middlesbrough. Their name is written as Lankin.
Hugh Lankin  30 Engine fitter, Scotland
Ann Lankin 28 Whitby
Jane Lankin 5 Middlesbrough
Isabella Lankin 2 Middlesbrough
If anyone can find any of them in 1871 that would be helpful.