Author Topic: Birth in Chester - Thomas (Charles) Lloyd COMPLETED  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Descendant of Murby

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Bound Family c. 1885
    • View Profile
Birth in Chester - Thomas (Charles) Lloyd COMPLETED
« on: Friday 27 April 12 22:45 BST (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters

Folllowing on from the very useful information you provided about my GG grandfather John Titus LLOYD I wondered if I could ask for a look-up on his father Thomas Lloyd (later a silversmith) who I am now pretty sure was born in Chester. There is a Thomas Lloyd born in Chester in 1786 (about the right time for someone who marries in 1810) and he was christened at the Holy Trinity Church, Chester (according to brief information on the Family Search website). This is the same church as John Titus Lloyd was christened in in 1815. I feel pretty sure this cannot just be coincidence!
Also, in the census for 1851/ 61 and 71 there is a note of a Thomas Lloyd born around 1786/7/8/9, living in Kentish Town area but born in Chester. I think this must be him.... but I can't confirm as yet. That would make him pretty ancient I admit by 1871, but several family members seem to have had a good innings, so not impossible!

Many thanks for your help.
Descendant of Murby
Paternal side: Holmes; Brooks; Bostock; Murby; Fox; Shaw; Leedham; Toon.
Maternal side: Speaight; Bound; Taylor; Meredith; Ninnim; Luke; Lloyd; Titus; Marshall; Redpath; Herd.
Photo depicts The Bound Family c.1885. My grannie is the little girl on the left.

Offline Shep

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth in Chester - Thomas (Charles) Lloyd
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 April 12 23:13 BST (UK) »
Thomas Lloyd
Christening Date:17 Aug 1786
Date of Birth:25 Feb 1786
Father:John
Mother: Ellen
Parish:Holy Trinity
City :Chester
County:Cheshire
Shepherd, Moran, Bath, Keating, Putt - Chester
Trussell - Flint / West Bromwich
Hughes - Flint / Oakenholt
Challinor / Chaloner - Chester / Wirral / Hawarden / Holt
Reynolds - Chester
Edwards - Rossett / Pulford
Strange - Chester / Shropshire
Bayliss - Rossett / Allington / Pulford

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 April 12 23:45 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the Chester-born Thomas Lloyd you have found in Kentish Town is a retired grocer, rather than silversmith :(
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 April 12 10:19 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at trade diredtories to see if you can map the whereabouts of Thomas LLOYD, you may also get an idea as to his age form the entry's.

Maybe a bit of research around the Assay office to see if you can find Thomas LLOYD's name!

I am aware there is a 'silver' museum in Chester.....

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 April 12 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters

Thank you very much for all your replies. Very useful. I'm sorry that that Thomas Lloyd in Kentish Town wasn't him but.... hey ho! I just hoped he was still around at the time of the censuses. Perhaps there's another one lurking.... unfortunately Thomas Lloyd isn't exactly an exclusive name! Shame it's not Abishai Lloyd or something like that!

Elzabels - could you give me any more info on where to find the trade directories as I haven't come across those records as yet? If you can, thank you. If not, no worries.

Again, many many thanks. :)

Descendant of Murby
Maternal side: Speaight; Bound; Taylor; Meredith; Ninnim; Luke; Lloyd; Titus; Marshall; Redpath; Herd.
Photo depicts The Bound Family c.1885. My grannie is the little girl on the left.

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 April 12 17:20 BST (UK) »
A well known subs site has Cheshire Dirctories, the earlist being 1822 however these are usually found in Library or Record Offices....Chester RO is likley to have them, they permit a 10min search by their librarians gratis!

Trade Directory listing for Cheshire

http://archivedatabases.cheshire.gov.uk/archivesandlocalstudies/Search.aspx?archiveid=0

http://www.discoverchester.co.uk/ChesterSilver.html

You could also google Canon Maurice Ridgway ( a distant in law cousin!!) who was an expert in this field

extracted from his biblio
Chester silver 1727-1837 (1985) chronicled the history of silver in the city, elucidated all the marks, and presented the biography of each goldsmith along with a descriptive catalogue of every known piece of his silver.  He rewrote the chapter on Chester for the revised edition of Jackson’s silver and gold marks (1989), and his Chester silver 1837-1962 (1996) included a wealth of information from the Chester Plate Duty Books of 1784-1840, which had been rediscovered by Philip Priestley

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 April 12 19:51 BST (UK) »
Looking at the baptisms, you know that your ancestor was in Brick Lane as a silversmith as early as 27/12/ 1813 baptism Caroline d/o Thomas Charles LLOYD & Ann

Hopefully you can identify him on the London trade directories!

You need to find why Thomas & Ann went from London to Chester!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 April 12 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hello there elzabels

Thanks for finding Caroline's baptism. This is getting more intriguing. Now I am starting to wonder if Thomas Lloyd born Chester in 1786 is my Thos Lloyd... I know my Thomas married Ann Titus (of Clerkenwell, born 1791) in 1810 in Southwark. I know they had Thos Charles in Middlesex (not sure of date), John Titus Lloyd (my GG Granddad) in Chester (baptised at Holy Trinity) in 1815 and were living in Lower Lane Chester at that time. Then they had Alfred Charles Lloyd in c.1822 in Middlesex. They also had Caroline as you have discovered (while in London), and maybe more issue I don't know about. Now I'm wondering again if Thomas Charles Lloyd was from London or is he the Chester Thos Lloyd?! Arh.... Difficult to know for sure. He was certainly resident in Chester in 1815 when my direct ancestor was born.

Thanks for your help.

Yours D of M

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 01:41 BST (UK) »
Thomas Charels LLOYD s/o Thomas Charles LLOYD and Ann b 05/11/1811 baptised Dec 1811 St Mary  Islington

Eiza d/o Thomas Charles & Ann LLOYD Brick Lane Silversmith bp 12/07/1818 b 06/05/1818 Finsbury St Luke

ST Andrew Holborn 10/11/1844
Alfred Charles LLOYD 22 bach clock / watchmaker s/o Thomas CHarles LLOYD Silversmith
Emily Jane Marshall 22 spinster d/o William MARSHALL solicitors Clerk
witnesse s Wm CAMPIN : Josephine Marshall

It is quite feasible that Thomas C LLOYD came to Chester with his young family, I think you will need to understand about the silversmith trade to be able to establish a reason etc.