Author Topic: St. Mary's Church, Chilham, Baptism records  (Read 7634 times)

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St. Mary's Church, Chilham, Baptism records
« on: Friday 27 April 12 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks

I am researching my Colebrooke family ancestors, in particualry the children on James Colebrooke and his son Robert Colebrooke who held the castle between 1724 and 1774. I am aware that some of the Colebrooke family were buried under the church. I am interested in any records of the children on James Colebrooke (born between 1708 and 1729) and any records of the children of Robert Colebrooke (born between 1741 and 1775) being baptised at St. Mary's church.

Does anyone know where the parish records for St. Mary's Chilham are located.

Regards

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St. Mary's Church, Chilham, Baptism records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 April 12 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard
Chilham records would normally be located at Canterbury Cathedral Archives but this is closed for repair at the moment. The new Kent archive centre has opened in Maidstone

Drop them an email to check for details before visiting.
Opening times are found on the website
http://www.kent.gov.uk/kenthistorycentre
Regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 April 12 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Panda

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately visiting the record office in Maidstone is not possible at present as I live in the North East of England. Do you know if the Chilham parish records are avaialbe on CD rom or how I could find out?

Thanks

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 April 12 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard
I've just looked at the Kent family history society list of cds on their website but can't see chilham listed. I will be going to Maistone at some point but not sure when. If you havn't found anything out by then I will have a look for you.
Reghards panda
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 April 12 18:11 BST (UK) »
Chilham baptisms 1558-1793 and 1808-1836, batch number C065551, are on the IGI.

There are several children of Robert and Ann COLEBROOK batised at Bekesbourne on Familysearch.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 April 12 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Panda and Bearkat

Thanks for your replies. I have checked Family Search using the batch code C065551 and discovered an entry for a baptism of a Henrietts Williams with father Robert Colebrooke Williams and mother Mary. I have a copy of Robert Colebrooke' will and he names the mother of his children and Mary Jones formerly Williams, so I am pretty sure this is the baptism of Robert's daughter Herietta. However I have searched for the birth of his sons and cannot find any, where the father is given as Robert Colebrooke with or without Williams.

Thanks very much for your help and your kind offer Panda to search at the Maidstone Record Office. Robert is supposed to have had 6 sons named Robert Hyde (written as Hyde in his father will), Powlet Welbore, George, James and John all born between at the earliest 1741 and at the latest about 1774 I believe.

I will keep on searching.

Thanks again for your help.

Best wishes

Richard  :)

Offline DNo3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard

I too am looking for Chilham Parish records.

My understanding is that while the cathedral is closed some of the records will be available on line at findmypast, but dont know how long this will take

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 14:55 BST (UK) »
I've booked to visit the archives on the 26 May. If you both let me know full details of who you are researching in chilham I will have a look for you.
Regards panda
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline DNo3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Panda40

That would be most kind of you.

I'm looking for Charles Edwin Stacey birth registed in  Apr-June 1876 in Chilham. According to freebmd he was christened Charlie Edwin Stacey.

If, as I think, his mother's name was Lucy Amelia, I am looking for his parents marriage, whom I suspect are the following:

Charles Stacey (born c1847) and Lucy Amelia Scott (born c 1848).  Again according to freebmd their marriage is recorded in Oct-Dec 1868.

Many thanks

DNo3