Author Topic: PLEASE HELP me find GREEHEY's  (Read 5255 times)

Offline dmb1940

• RootsChat Extra
  • Willing to share info
    • View Profile
PLEASE HELP me find GREEHEY's
« on: Sunday 27 June 04 01:55 BST (UK) »
I am desparately searching for any information about my 2nd great-granfather JEREMIAH GREEHEY.  

He married Bridget HANRAHAN -

Bridget (born 1842) was the daughter of Daniel Hanrahan and Johanna BAILEY  ---  Johanna Bailey's parents were Patrick Bailey and Anna CONDON.  

Note: The closest surname I've found is Greehy from Counties Cork and Waterford  that name is very rare too.

The Condons were from around Mitchelstown.  I think the Hanrahans and my Greehey granparents lived in or around Kilbehenny.

If anyone can help me I would be eternally grateful.
England:
Benton in Willingham, Meaghan in Liverpool
Ireland:
Hanrahan, Bailey, Condon, Kelly, O'Connor, Walsh, Roddy, Reedy, O'Connell, Casey, Lonergan, Halligan, Doyle, Ryan, Furlong

USA:
above names plus - Powers, Wagner, Prewitt, Hahn, Carlson, Koll, Hurley, Toohey, Hamilton, and more

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE HELP me find GREEHEY's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 July 04 19:40 BST (UK) »
I was interested in your post re. the above. I do not know the Greehey family, but am researching my Bailey ancestors, who come from Kilbehenny.
My great-great grandfather was a James Bailey, b. circa 1831 in Kilbehenny, who married Bridget Mullins in 1856.They had a dozen or so children, one of whom was William Bailey, b. circa 1863, my great grandfather.
James Bailey's father was John Bailey, date of birth not known, but circa 1800, who married Bridget King, still in KIlbehenny.
The Baileys in the 19th century worked on the earl of Kingston's estates in the Galtees, at Galtee Castle.
Johanna Bailey is a recurring name in my ancestry.
I was really wondering if any of the above rings any bells with you at all.
I'm sorry I can't yet help with your Greehey, but would love to hear from you if you have any further interest in the Bailey side.
Regards,
Margaret
Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline dmb1940

• RootsChat Extra
  • Willing to share info
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 July 04 18:50 BST (UK) »
Don't know if my BAILEYs are connected to yours or not. 

Besides Johanna BAILEY, my 3rd g-gr  who married Daniel HANRAHAN  (They supposedly lived in Kilbehenny)  - I have numerous other BAILEYs.

Johanna was the daughter of Patrick BAILEY and Anna CONDON.  They had the following children: Katherine, Johanna (above), Francis, Patrick, John and Jim. 
Sorry I have no dates on any of them , except Francis.

But as far as I know the family was from Mitchelstown in Co. Cork - at least that is where Francis was born in 1829.

Any connection??

If they are connected would love to exchange additional info.

Mary
England:
Benton in Willingham, Meaghan in Liverpool
Ireland:
Hanrahan, Bailey, Condon, Kelly, O'Connor, Walsh, Roddy, Reedy, O'Connell, Casey, Lonergan, Halligan, Doyle, Ryan, Furlong

USA:
above names plus - Powers, Wagner, Prewitt, Hahn, Carlson, Koll, Hurley, Toohey, Hamilton, and more

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 August 04 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary
Many thanks for your reply, we've been away on holiday for last 12 days, hence delay in getting back to you.
The James Bailey I have, my great great grandfather, b. about 1831, Kilbehenny,married Bridget Mullins in 1856; they had 12 children, all born Kilbehenny.James was a 'steward' on Kingston estate, part of earl of Kingston's lands, who had the castle at Mitchelstown.
One, William, my great grandfather,b.1863, married 3 times, third time to Jane Duggan of Skeheenaranky,just over border in co.Tipperary,1891.Lived in Coolagarranroe, in the Galtee mountains, next to Kilbehenny parish.
They had 7 children, Patrick is my dad's dad, born 1898, he married Margaret Moher, emigrated to N.Y. in 1925, returned to live at Cahergaul, near Skeheenaranky in 1930's.

James Bailey's parents were John Bailey and Bridget King; James's children names include Catherine, Johanna, John, James,  Patrick.
James Bailey (born 1831)  had siblings Mary, Francis,Catherine.
A lot of my info has come courtesy of an American cousin researching the Baileys, her line comes from one of James Baileys children who emigrated to U.S.A. in 1900's.
If any of above rings any bells, please get in touch, would love to hear from you again!
Regards,
Margaret

Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE HELP me find GREEHEY's - LINKS
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Per http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm
There were 6 GREEHY all in Cork and no GREEHEY families in the 1848-64 Griffiths valuation. It may be worth paying the subscription to see the parishes.

This site you can search for Greehy, Cork.

http://members.cox.net/hayes1966/griffiths.htm

but it doesn't find any...

This site has free lookups from the Griffiths valuation.

http://www.ancestralfindings.com/cd262.htm

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline Ann Marie HC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 November 10 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,
I hope this helps: Patrick Bailey who married Anna Condron was the son of Francis Bailey and Mary McNamara.
Francis Bailey was born on the 2nd May,1828 in Carrigeen,Co.Limerick. He had the following siblings: Mary ( b1825 -d.1825),Mary B1826, Catherine (b.1833), James ( b.1831 -d.1910) Robert (b.1848)
Francis went to Duncombe,Iowa> He married twice. His 1st wife was Mary McNamara( 1853-1855) and his 2nd wife was Ellen Casey. He had 2 children with MAry: Patrick (1855-1884) and John ( b1853) He had 6 children with Ellen Casey: Maurice,Margaret,Francis,Katherine,Dennis and James.
Francis was the son of John Bailey ( b1795) and Bridget King.

Let me know if any of this helps
Warm regards
Ann Marie

P.S>
Francis' brother James Bailey  had many kids,one of which was Patrick Bailey  (1860-1916) - my great grandfather.
Hyland married to Williams in 1843 in Co Tipp
Bailey married to King in 1824 in Carrigeen
Michael Keane married to Nell Kaples in1800's in Kilworth,Co Cork
Michael Reidy married to MAry Pyne nee Daly in 1850's in Kilworth

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 November 10 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately Mary hasn't been online since Feb. 2005,
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!