Author Topic: Marriage Bonds - completed, thank you  (Read 770 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Marriage Bonds - completed, thank you
« on: Saturday 28 April 12 06:06 BST (UK) »
I just came across "marriage bonds and allegations" records (on FamilySearch).

I found my ancestors' "intended marriage" event, dated 1826, and the information states the individuals ages were 21.  While I believe the female's age would have been about 23 in 1826, I've never been able to find out when her husband was born or when he died.

Is it a correct assumption that age 21 was written down because they were both age 21 or over?  Thank you in advance for any help with this question.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada       Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland       (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Bonds question, please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 April 12 07:28 BST (UK) »
It depends on the actual wording of the statement.

It could be both were 21 years of age.
Both were 21 years of age or older.
Both claimed to be 21 years of age.
Or both claimed to be 21 years of age or older.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Bonds question, please
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 April 12 07:46 BST (UK) »
So, still no clues in finding this elusive man's approximate year of birth then.

Thank you very much for replying, though.  It is appreciated.  :)

Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada       Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland       (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Bonds - completed, thank you
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 April 12 08:40 BST (UK) »
I too looked at a marriage bond of an ancester and it had a 21 on the bond next to her name.I happen to know that she was in her 50,s I had assumed it was a mistake.  llandinam
Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert