Author Topic: What was happening in Hollyhurst Road in 1891?  (Read 5033 times)

Offline chanel

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What was happening in Hollyhurst Road in 1891?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 April 12 09:14 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Barbara, I'm still not 100% clear - were there houses in Vauxhall Street on your map?
Chanel.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 April 12 11:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Barbara, I'm still not 100% clear - were there houses in Vauxhall Street on your map?
Chanel.

Yes. I've just noticed that Vauxhall St was a lot longer then than it is now. If you were standing on Collyhurst Rd looking along Vauxhall St in 1891, there would be the quarry on your left, and a few buildings on your right followed by the Ebenezer tarpaulin works. Then you would reach Sand St which in those days went right across Vauxhall St.
Crossing over Sand St (now renamed Dalton St), Vauxhall St continued straight across until you got to Rhoda St (now called Hamerton Rd) and there were a lot of houses between Sand St and Rhoda St, on either side of the road. I think your Edward Mammatt would have lived at this end of Vauxhall St, not the Collyhurst Road end.

On the present-day maps there are two tower blocks on that end of Vauxhall St, and the original line of the road has vanished.

Online map from 1930 here
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=055-cr14&cid=-1#-1
click square 2C, then look for Vauxhall St crossing between squares 1a and 1b, it will probably become clear!

:) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chanel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 April 12 15:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link, Barbara, I've found Vauxhall Street on the map and, together with the other details you've let me have, it's given me a wonderful insight into this bit of Edward's life. Thank you for taking my query on board.
Just by the way, it cost me $A10.38 delivered here to Melbourne, for one of the Old Ordnance Survey Maps, so you see how lucky you are being on the spot and getting them for two pounds fifty.

Thank you again.
Chanel

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 April 12 17:35 BST (UK) »

Something else to bear in mind, if you are trying to get a picture of the area at the time, is that a lot of the streets/roads running off Collyhurst Rd were on a slope. There is quite a drop from Rochdale Rd down to Collyhurst Rd., on account of the River Irk.

Even a lot of the houses further up Collyhurst Rd. were on a slope, with steep drops at the back of the houses.

They just built houses on any bit of land that was near to the factories.

Eric
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Offline chanel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 April 12 13:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that observation, Eric. As well, it seems logical that cottages in this sort of location, would have disappeared when the surrounding industries disappeared. The area has not been redeveloped for housing or for anything else, it seems. Maybe its too unfriendly!!

Edward T Mammatt and his wife, Mary Alice, occupied the cottage at12 Vauxhall Street in 1881 but by 1891, they had moved to 92 St Oswalds Grove, Manchester. This address seems to have been in the same vicinity because a couple of streets before the Census taker reached St Oswalds Grove, he was in (what must have been nearby) Rochdale Road. I haven't been able to spot this address in Barbara's map, though.

Chanel

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 April 12 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Chanel

I think 'Cottage' would have been a bit quaint.  More like pokey terraced houses, in  cobbled street with a little back yard-if they were lucky.

Like you say, 'too unfriendly' by today's standards.

St Oswald's Grove was a crescent off Rochdale Rd., almost opposite St Oswald's Street, just before Churnet St.

Eric
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Offline chanel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 03:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for those details, Eric - I now have St Oswald's Grove just about pinpointed on my map. Gurnet Street is still there - a useful guide. This area seems to have been redeveloped as a big housing estate in recent times.No doubt the old dwellings(!) in the area were a pretty crummy lot, worthy only of demolition in later years.
Well, thanks to you folk, I now have a wonderful "picture" of part of the life of Edward T Mammatt, an ancestor whose very existence I knew nothing of six years ago! His wife, Mary Alice, "disappeared"after the 1891 Census and he did likewise after the 1901 census, so I've a couple of brick walls to surmount before I can put finis to this ancestor.

Chanel

Offline moonglow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 May 12 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Chanel
The nephew on Edward Mammatt's 1891 census became my grandfather.
I could tell you what happened, if you're interested.
All the best
Moonglow

Offline chanel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 May 12 05:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Moonglow,

It's nice to hear from you - thank you for your contribution. Just to be clear on what I think you're referring to. 

The "nephew" in the 1891 Census entry for the Edward T Mammatt family was  Edward Sankey, aged 3, nephew of Mary Alice Mammatt (Sankey). Also. said nephew appeared to be the one who was listed as an orphanage resident in 1901 Census. I don't know anything further about him.

Is this consistent with the information you have? Whatever, I'd be delighted to hear about what you do have. Is this board the right place for us to do this??

Regards.

Chanel.