Author Topic: Convalescent Home Buxton  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Convalescent Home Buxton
« on: Saturday 28 April 12 12:28 BST (UK) »
Been looking for a convalescent home in Buxton refered to as Nurse's Convalescent Home.
The local library have made mention of Home for ladies at 7, Belverdere Terr, West Road Buxton.
Can anyone fill me in with further details? the time period I am looking at is early 1950's.
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Convalescent Home Buxton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 16:08 BST (UK) »
Probably not a lot of help but nevertheless.....

My wife managed the largest hospital in Buxton until its closure over ten years ago. She had worked there since the 1970s but has never heard of a convalescent home specifically for nurses.

She has today spoken to a friend who began nursing in Buxton in 1954 - same answer - never heard of such a place.

The consensus is that, if it did exist, it would have been nothing to do with the NHS and was more likely to have been a small private establishment operating from one of the larger houses which are common within the town.

Hope this helps.

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 May 12 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hello there Ray T, Many thanks for your interested in the Nurses Convalescent Home Buxton. I was unsure as to title Nurses but thought it was worth following up. I guess if it was a private home then it would be almost impossible to track down.  :'(

Offline ValCharlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 May 13 14:48 BST (UK) »
How do the dates work? There was a Canadian Nursing Sisters hospital in Buxton in WW1. Wrong dates, but a Nurses Hospital!

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 May 13 17:03 BST (UK) »
Trouble with Buxton is that it's a spa town and, over the years, many quasi-medical establishments have sprung up to take the benefit of the waters - they date back to Roman times - and you can still buy the stuff in bottles as you're probably aware. 

The main hospital which is (or the last time I heard it still was) run as an outpost of Derby University - where you can get a degree in such things as nail varnishing or hairdressing - used the spa water until its closure as it came out of the ground warm and for free. Not many people know this but they only used it in the hydrotherapy pool ('cos it saved on heating) and for flushing the toilets - and some people pay good money for bottles of it and drink it!!!   

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 June 13 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi all many thanks for your interest shown regarding the convalescent home Buxton. The date I am looking at is approx 1952 and I am not sure if it is a Nurses Home or Nursing Home all I know is a family member was sent there to rest, no other info.
Its all a bit odd because the original details states she was refered from Ripley Cottage Hospital this is near to Harrogate Yorkshire, but when I contacted Yorkshire Archives  and Harrogate main library I was told no such place ever exsisted. !!!!!

Ray you are so funny you made me laugh. ;D

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 10:28 BST (UK) »
> Ripley Cottage Hospital

That's the Ripley in Derbyshire, not the one in Yorkshire!

According to Wiki (so it must be true ;) )

"Ripley also has a Community Hospital with a minor A+E department, which was opened on 7/9/1912. The hospital was built after the sad demise of a miner injured at Pentrich Colliery who did not survive the road journey to Derby in time for treatment."

Perhaps the home you're trying to find in Buxton was one where nurses were sent to recouperate, a bit like the miners' welfare holiday homes.  Maybe someone at Buxton Museum might know something or be able to point you in the right direction? 
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)