Author Topic: McINTYRE family in Glencoe (Duror/Appin/Lismore parish)  (Read 3386 times)

Offline woodfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McINTYRE family in Glencoe (Duror/Appin/Lismore parish)
« on: Sunday 29 April 12 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheden & others

I'm looking for more information on Duncan McINTYRE (b. c1790) who is recorded as a shoemaker at Inverco farm, Glencoe (then in Duror QS, part of Lismore/Appin parish) in the 1841 census. His wife was Catherine McINNES (nee RANKIN), daughter of Ewen and Christina RANKIN, and their children were Ann, Catherine, Duncan and John (plus two McINNES children from the former marriage).

The family emigrated to Australia. His death certificate gives his place of birth as Fort William, and his parents as Hugh McINTYRE and Christina McMILLAN.

My questions are:
1) Why can't I birth/baptism or marriage record for him (or Catherine) on the IGI?
2) Why was a shoemaker living on Inverco farm? Who owned the farm?
3) Can anybody help me find records relating to Duncan's parents?

Thanks!

Joel

Offline abrach1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McINTYRE family in Glencoe (Duror/Appin/Lismore parish)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 11:11 BST (UK) »
Many of the population in Glencoe and Ballachulish were Episcopalian and that is why you will not find them on the IGI.
The Episcopal records for St John's at Ballachulish only begin in 1810 and there are very few entries exist between 1815 and 1840.
There are the Confirmation lists from Bishop Forbes' visit to the area in 1770 which you could look at - they might help- they are the earliest Episcopalian records for the area.