Author Topic: HUTCHINGS family  (Read 4403 times)

Offline shay mary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HUTCHINGS family
« on: Monday 30 April 12 01:46 BST (UK) »
Richard John Hutchings born 1775 Plymtree, died 1853 Honiton married a MARGARET surname unknown around 1818 as they had a son Thomas (my Great Grandfather) bapt 14 March 1819 at St Michael's Honiton.
I am looking for Margaret's surname - she was born c1782 Honiton, buried 2 March 1820 Honiton, age 38 years.
(Richard married a second time to Mary Braddick in 1821 - don't require any info on this marriage as I have a lot  on them.)
I would also like to know any information on Thomas (changed his name to Hutchins at some stage).
His birth date, if this is possible.  He was an apprentice shoemaker from 10 - 15 years old - presume his apprenticeship was served in Honiton, and he then went to London.
Thomas married (don't know when and to whom).  He came to South Australia in 1848 with his wife and son Henry born c1846.
Richard Hutchings parents were John Hutchings born c1747 married 11 April 1768 Plymtree, Joan Chaplain possibly bapt 6 Jan 1743 Halberton (not confirmed).  This is all I have on the parents.
I have searched in Family Search, Rootsweb and other websites.  Also contacted Allhallows Museum in Honiton and this is all the info they could supply.
If you can help in any way on the above it would be most appreciated.
Thank you

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HUTCHINGS
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 April 12 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Possible criminal records for Thomas Hutchings.
17.3.1837 devon Assizes age 18 5 months for larceny
21.7.1838  same Thomas Hutchins age 19 house breaking not guilty
30.12.1839 same Thomas Hutchings age 19 house breaking 8 months
There is also a transportation to Australia 16.10.1839 Thomas Hutchings 19 protestant,able to read and write,Devonshire,shoemaker for stealing lead convicted Devon  16.10.1839.10 years 6 months 5ft 4 sallow complexion,pock marked,brown hair and eyes.Mole on left side of neck.Tatoos crown ,2 flags ,woman,blue ring on finger and anchor on back.He's on the John Barry to NSW.
He was housed on the prison ship  Justita at Woolwich beforehand convicted Exeter 16.10.1838.
After getting to NSW he is then in sydney gaol.
Could this be your man or am I looking at another Thomas Hutchings?
Ciderdrinker
ps there is a baptism Henry Hutchings 18.3.1849 West Knighton to Thomas Hutchings and Jane Wallis

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 April 12 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi there me again,
Have you got Thomas Hutchings  second marraige in Australia 2.8.1869 to Mary Hillings daughter of John at Gawler registered Barossa?His father Richard.It means that his first wife must have died by 1869.
And Mary is Halberton Devon on the 1841 census with parents John and Sussanna both 60 Ag lab.She's 12.It's her second marriage ,she was Mary Needs widow 1869.
Ciderdrinker

Offline shay mary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HUTCHINGS
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 08:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you 'ciderdrinker' for your information on Thomas Hutchings.  Very interesting reading on Thomas the convict.  I did find the listing for Thomas Hutchings coming to NSW on the convict ship 'John Barry' in 1839.  This certainly was about his age.  The doubt that I have is that 'our' Thomas went to London when he was around 15 years old.  See newspaper article below....
Printed in a South Australian newspaper in 1911 when Thomas was 92 years old, states that he was born in Honiton and before he was 10 years old started his apprenticeship as a shoemaker and after serving 5 years in his trade in his native town, he went to London.
Another researcher in the late 1980s compiled some of the family tree and recorded that at some stage he married and had a son Henry born around 1846 and they arrived in South Australia in 1847 on the ship 'Phoebe'.
He may have married in London and came from there to South Australia.
Recorded also was that his first wife had died by 1868-69 as he married a second time in 1869 to Mary Needs nee Hellings. 
There are a lot of gaps and possibly will never be known much more about him, but I like to try every avenue to find out more about our family.
Thank you so much for your information, it is very much appreciated.
Betty

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 22:16 BST (UK) »
You can check the ship's manifests for the Phoebe here http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/shipdate.htm
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline shay mary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 04:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you DOB7 for your information regarding shipping arrivals in NSW.  The ship Phoebe went to South Australia from England.  The listing of Thomas Hutchings is wife and infant son only.  Have tried searching for his wife's name on the shipping list but have had no success.  Both shipping list and newspaper article say the same thing - only 'wife'.
I have kept your suggestion as a 'Favourite' and thank you for answering.

Offline icarusF1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: HUTCHINGS family
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 April 20 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, there must have been a name change when they moved to South Australia. I am a decendant of Richard Hutchins (Hutchings) through Thomas Henry Hutchins and my last name is Hutchins not Hutchings. All of the information in this thread matches my searching. I have not been able to find out Margarets name but i am searching