Author Topic: MUSSEN and associated families  (Read 24400 times)

Online HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: MUSSEN and associated families
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 January 12 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Jim,

I was in the Linen Hall Library today but drew a blank with some of your references to the Blackwood pedigrees.  Was that five different volumes, or were some of them page numbers?

Is there an overall index of surnames, or do I have to look at the list of contents in each separate volume (those that have one, I mean)?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 03 February 12 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi wee Hugh, sorry for delay in answering. Briefly I made the index that you didn't see on your visit to the library. My [work in progress] card index was originally produced for my own use, in haste, out of library hours, with some of the volumes removed before I could examine them. The library then valued the effort having it typed up. Unexpectedly my card index vanished, so it was never proof read. against the cards. The original was typed on foolscap then as this original became worn out, it was photocopied. About 10 years ago I retyped the index from a photocopy copy hoping the library would consider encouraging somebody else to finish what I started. Nothing happened regretfully. Yes you are right every volume differs, in having page numbers or not, some with contents listing, some not etc. I paged one volume in pencil but was told not to do that again.

The index was meant to follow these guide lines as it built up
1.   Each reference starts with a number that is the volume number between 1 and 98.
2.   Either it is immediately followed by a p for first page number, followed by that page number, followed by a comma, OR there are no page numbers usually because most of the volume is about that family, OR there is a page index in that volume, OR the volume was without page numbers.
3.   Next can come a locality place-name or a house name.
4.   Next can come one or more surnames. These are the equivalent of see and see also references. In practice this is not easy for a newcomer to establish a clear system earlier enough.
5.   A coma signifies the next reference to that surname.
6.   The letter T is used when it appears the material has been transcribed or ‘Part’ transferred elsewhere, any other reference to that surname being a more complete or final version normally.
7.   The letter N is for notes that are either at the end of the tree or more often at the end of the book.
8.   Those surnames that fall into the M’, Mc, Mac are treated as within one Mc section.
9.   Overall advice: - Look up every surname reference, and double check the back of each book for further notes.

So to recap the references I gave you, :-Mussen is in volume 23  a Lisburn line, also Mussen turns up in volume 33, and in volume 63 (some association with an Allen) + Two items these were probably loose tucked in newspaper cuttings, more Mussen in volume  90 a Hillhall connection and volume 92 with a Lisburn connection. These last two entries could be in special bindings and be kept in the Strong room etc.

Finally If you want a copy of the index I will send it to you via PM
Good luck onwards Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Online HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 03 February 12 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Jim.

I've now extracted what I could find on Mussen.
The puzzle is vol. 63 which is typescript "recollections", where I could find no reference to Mussen.  However, a visit to the Linen Hall Library is never a wasted trip!

_____ Hugh
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline eddiekelso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 03 February 12 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Although I haven't researched my Kelso line for several years, the name Mussen rang a bell - I have 3 baptisms from Dromara Presbyterian Church:

Children of Robert Mussen & Jane Kelso (no marriage record found):

James Birch Mussen b. 26 April 1816
Robert Mussen b. 12 August 1819
Margaret Anne Mussen b. 1 April 1821.

My Kelso ancestors came from Kinallen Townland, Dromore Parish and were associated with this church. I haven't found a definite link between Jane and my Kelso line.

Best wishes,

Eddie Kelso
Kelso, McDowell, Kerr, Gamble, Harkins, Nelson (Kinallen, Dromara - 1st Dromara Presbyterian Church).
Kempton, Artt, Boon, Murray (Cookstown, Co. Tyrone)

hollyhenry

« Reply #22 on: Friday 03 February 12 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Eddie,
I think we have been in contact many years ago. And I am still stuck where I was those many years ago. At
James Mussen (b1816) (d~1847/8) married Mary Jane Beck - place and date unknown
They had 3 sons all born in Dromara
Samuel John 1843 July 16 Crossgar, Dromara
         (married Mary Eliza McHenry 1864 Belfast)
Joseph Campbell 1845 Oct 9 Crossgar, Dromara
        (married Jane Higgins 1868 Glasgow)
**James 1848 June 27 Crossgar, Dromara and at the time of his birth/baptism his father is noted as deceased.
        (married Janet Watson 1873 Oct 10, Wynd Church, Glasgow)

Mary Jane Beck's brother an 2 sisters married in Dromore though, at 2nd Dromore Presbyterian.

Is your Kelso line related with the Dr. Kelso in Lisburn?

Thanks so much for adding your thoughts to the thread!

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 February 12 08:04 GMT (UK) »
This may be of no relevence whatsoever,but in my search for Mc Dowells in Co Down I have a John Mc Dowell married an Arabella Mussen c 1799 in Dromore Co Down.
Unfortuneately not my Mc Dowell.

hollyhenry

« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 February 12 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Agnetta,

I don't think I have that one. Much appreciated!!

Offline Rosniak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 19 April 12 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was just reading through this thread and wanted to ask a question about Robert Seeds and Agnes Mussen who married in 1820. I know that they had a son Henry Seeds (born about 1825?) as he was the co-executor of the will of his uncle Arthur Mussen.

What i am wondering is does anyone know how this branch of the Seeds family was related to Henry and William Seeds, two solicitor brothers who operated in Belfast at the time?

This second Henry was 61 when he died in 1877 and William was 66 when he died in 1886. Any thoughts?

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 23 April 12 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hugh, I looked up Mussen in my copy of the index to the Linenhall Library's Blackwood collection Hugh I looked up Vol 63 other references and found a clue,  the Allen references  are not in 63, but in 65,  and that makes me fairly certain it might be worth another trip looking at Vol 65. I hope I owe you a coffee or stronger. Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide