Author Topic: ALFRED BAILEY JORDAN Able Seaman HULL  (Read 7079 times)

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
ALFRED BAILEY JORDAN Able Seaman HULL
« on: Monday 30 April 12 17:05 BST (UK) »
I have some documents that may be of interest to anyone researching the family of Able Seaman Alfred Bailey Jordan, b.1922 Hull
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ALFRED BAILEY JORDAN Able Seaman HULL
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 June 12 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi...If you haven't found a home for these documents they would be very good to have in our archives at the Carnegie Heritage Centre in Hull where I work as a volunteer.
I have Arthur H. Buttery b. Hull 1886
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 January 18 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello GButtery,

It's likely the documents have found a home but if not  - or in any case - I though I'd add background as this Alfred Bailey JORDAN b 1822 is one of mine, a 2nd cousin, once removed to be exact! All from Hull:

(1) Alfred Bailey JORDAN b 1922,  married in 1945,  3 sons, died 1958, age 36.
Italian POW in WW2.

(2) His father: Alfred Bailey JORDAN, b 24 Nov 1899, m 1921 to  Isabella D GIBBONS
He was a Navy Able Seaman, joined up on his 18th Birthday 1917, invalided out 1920.
He was named after a deceased older brother died:
Alfred Bailey JORDAN, b 1886-87 (baptized 23 Jan 1887), died 1898, aged 11.

(3) His Grandfather: Alfred Bailey JORDAN  b 28 Jul 1865, d 1925-26 (registered Mar Qtr 1926)
He was a Boiler Maker. He and his wife Annie E BROWN m 1885 had 10 children - only 5 survived infancy or childhood. The other 5 were deceased before 1911.

4) His Great-Grandparents were Frederick JORDAN (1842-1912),  married 1862 to Hannah Mary BAILEY (1846-1893) - they had 16 children, of whom 8 survived infancy or childhood.

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 January 18 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Thank you for your message.
The majority o the documents are airgrams sent by Alfred Jordan to his mother. There is also a telegram and a couple of photographs. We have scans of the documents if you would like to see them.
We did quite a bit of research on him .
My husband has written a book about Alfred Jordan,  using the facts he uncovered and  author's licence to recreate his life (actually using characters known to my husband from the era).
He has been in contact the one of Alfred's son's, who has read and approved the book. He was unaware of most of his father's  exploits.
If you are interested, the book can be found on Amazon.co.UK.  Called SicutLeonis - Be Like Lions ( the motto of his ship)
I can send copies of the scans if you send your e-mail address
Regards
Gill
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline craftyannie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 January 18 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello,    just seen your post, and I have an Alfred Bailey Jordan in my F/Tree.    He is the son of Frederick Jordan and Hannah Mary Bailey, born twenty eighth of July 1865,  and I think he married an Ann Elizabeth Brown.

I would be very interested to know if we have the same person?

Regards
Anne

Offline GingerNolan

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 May 20 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Not sure if this thread is still active, I’ve just found out about Alfred and his correspondence. My Grandad was on Sikh on its final voyage, James Frederick Nolan.
I’ve ordered a copy of Trevors book and am looking forward to understanding more about life on board.
I’ve read the book ‘Lower Deck’ and after my Nan read it she immediately said the character called Ginger was my Grandad - Ginger was his nickname, and he was an orphan from Bermondsey, exactly as it states in the book. Although it’s extremely unlikely, I’d be very interested to know if there are any survivors from the boat.
Best regards,
Gregg.