Author Topic: How is Martha TAYLOR related to John CHILD  (Read 13927 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How is martha taylor related to John Child
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 07:30 BST (UK) »
Arrival in 1863 of a John CHILD.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0lw5/

John Child passed away in 1880 in queensland

As mentioned by a number of chatters......

Death of a John CHILD aged 72 years in 1880  - in England
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0lw7/

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
Deaths Mar 1880  
CHILD John 71 years Ludlow    6a/437

Could you please post date and place of the court case?

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 07:45 BST (UK) »
It is still only 7.38am in England so may get an answer to our questions shortly, hopefully?

I believe the one you just posted (Cando) is our man. What his connection to the Taylors in the last post by (Majm) I am sure I dont know. But we have moved around 17,000klms and checking out all things in 19th century England was not what I originally thought the post to be?

Neil ???
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 07:54 BST (UK) »

I notice that there’s a Martha Crompton born 1844, in the Sub District of Little Bolton, and mother’s maiden name of HORROCKS. http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/births.php

I notice that there’s a Martha Crompton marrying a William TAYLOR in 1876 at Bolton. http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi?county=lancashire

I notice that there’s a Martha TAYLOR aged 59 death registered at Farnworth Sub District in 1912.
http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/deathind.cgi

Cheers,  JM (still looking for a connection to CHILD and agree with Neil, CANDO has most likely got the right John CHILD dc!)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 08:33 BST (UK) »
Not wishing to deepen this mystery any further Butttttt.
The 1861 census for Lancs also has a Martha Taylor 18 years domestic servant born in Australia ???
Working for Elizabeth Clough the head of houshold at 28years and a Dressmaker.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

Martha Taylor may not have died in 1914, it states that it was brought before the court in 1914 and for some reason or another it may have taken some years to sort out

Does anyone think that it is strange that this happened some 34 years after John Child's death.

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 May 12 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Our OP (Jackiea) has not been online since first posting her query, but hopefully she will be receiving notifications that will have her back to help sort out the various sightings we have collectively provided.

Martha Taylor may not have died in 1914, it states that it was brought before the court in 1914 and for some reason or another it may have taken some years to sort out
Does anyone think that it is strange that this happened some 34 years after John Child's death.

and
.... Jackiea, may I please ask some questions....    3.  When did Martha Taylor die?  The case you mention was brought before the courts in 1914, however Martha may have died long before then. 

...... Could you please post date and place of the court case? 

Hi MargP,

Yes, I do think it strange that there was apparently a long delay, however, I also recall from my own tree that an estate was still being contested in the 1920s in the UK for a death in the UK in 1840s.  The deceased's children and grandchildren were nominated as beneficiaries and they (grandchildren) were still squabbling over the distribution of the residue in 1928.  The legal eagles firms may well have built grand castles with the income from their fees for these actions ;D

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 03 May 12 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi JM

Another thought is, that Martha may not have made a Will, and there were no known next of kin, and it ended up on the Bona Vacantia list, and John Child was one of the beneficiaries, and they may not known each other?????????

Marg
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 03 May 12 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi JM

Another thought is, that Martha may not have made a Will, and there were no known next of kin, and it ended up on the Bona Vacantia list, and John Child was one of the beneficiaries, and they may not known each other?????????

Marg

The OP seems to mention a  WILL ...
A big mystery to me. John Child passed away in 1880 in queensland. He was insolvent in the late 1870's and it wasnt until 1914 a case was bought before the courts as Martha Taylor died and left a sum of money to the late John Child. The courts ordered the monies from Martha Taylor's estate be used to pay the people who were owed money from John Child before he died.  I can not find how Martha taylor was related to John Child and if she was why was her will not changed prior to her death as John had died in 1880. Can anyone help with these questions?
Thank you in advanced for your help.

I wonder if there is some confusion somewhere along the line.   Perhaps it is not well known that it is quite lawful for a WILL not to make any provision for descendants, and also that any/some/all beneficiaries of a deceased estate do NOT need to related to the testator at all.  (Probably in that era I should consider using the word 'testatrix')   Where there are dependants, then a will ought to make provision for the dependants, BUT dependants can be persons who are NOT related to the testator.   

Jackiea,
Do you have a copy of the will?   If it is UK based, perhaps either of these links may help   
 http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/default.aspx
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search

Cheers,  JM

Offline jackiea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 03 May 12 14:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you everone who have given some thoughts and information into this mystery. I have the death certificate of John Child who died and buried at Cowan Downs Quensland. But because little was known of him little information was on his death certificate. I have traced his family he left in England and he left not long after his mother and a dear sister died.
The story regarding his insolvency began after he took over the commercial hotel in flinders street Townsville and apparently, John being a trusting man left an employee in charge of the banking and the banking never got done. Well was never put in his account anyway, hence no money to pay any one, and court proceedings declared him insolvent.
I have applied for a few wills of Martha Taylors in England and can not find any who left money to John Child. The info Dundee has given sounds like the info I gave the burke shire a few years ago and is correct of his wife and children.
I will take on board all who have sent me info and will check all the sites you have sent me.
When or if I find out who she was and how all this came about I will let you all know. You are all so fantastic for how you have helped me so far.
My Kindest Wishes to you all
Jackiea