Author Topic: Crest  (Read 4102 times)

Offline divaofdesign

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crest
« on: Wednesday 02 May 12 03:37 BST (UK) »
I have a silver tea service, rather elaborate, Origin London, dating c1822-1844. There is a crest engraved on one piece. Is there a crest registry (for novices)?

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Crest
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 11:24 BST (UK) »
On the assumption that you are talking about a crest rather than a full coat of arms there are a number of books on the subject.  You should for example find a copy of Fairbairn's Crests in your local library.

A crest is the part of a coat of arms that sits on top of the helmet in a full coat of arms and is frequently used on silver, although more usually on cutlery where there is not room for the full coat of arms. 

If you can post a picture of what you have some on here might be able to help.  It is much easier to search for surnames and so if you have any ideas that might help.  If you in fact are talking about a coat of arms rather than a crest then the precise wording of any motto can also help.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline divaofdesign

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 May 12 07:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response. The main Library has a copy in the genealogy lab, so I will be making a visit tomorrow! From your description, it is a Full Coat of Arms. It has a crown top center. Two animals ( dog head w/lion body & tail) holding the shield on L & R. They are not mirror images. The one on the left has a detailed collar. The shield is eight panels. The upper row, third from L has a cross in upper left corner. Lower panel fourth from L repeats this panel. There is a three section banner at the bottom, "Invitum" "Sequitioe" "Honos". I am, hopefully, attachng a photo. A little hard to discern, after many years & polishings ;)    , as well as the reflection. Again, thank you for your help.

Offline Neohet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 May 12 13:15 BST (UK) »
The Motto "Invitum Sequitur Honors" (Honour follows him that does not seek it) is used by a number of peers, including:

Marquess of Donogall: http://www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk/online/content/index355.htm

Baron Templemore: http://www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk/online/content/index1167.htm

Baron O'Neill: http://www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk/online/content/index1091.htm

Although the Coat of Arms you describe dosn't sound like any of these.

Regards,
Matt T.
Tomlinson - Sheffield, Rotherham & South Leverton
Hellewell - Rotherham & Barnsley
Percival - Sheffield & Lincolnshire
Leverton - Sheffield & Lincolnshire
Pearson - Sheffield & Worksop
Luff - Sheffield
Lashley - Sheffield
Maddison - Durham

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 May 12 14:23 BST (UK) »
I haven't much to add to the above.

It seemd likely, but I haven't been able to prove, that the motto was used by the Devon family of Chichesters who were the ancestors of the Marquess of Donegal.

The seven "quarters" on your shield should break down to show the ancestry of its owner.  The repetition that you mentioned will belong to a father on the maternal side.  Mottos tend to be taken from any ancestor, rather than following strict hereditary and could indicate a more important family.  A similar comment applies to the supporters (animals) that you described.

It would be useful if you could identify the crown as that should indicate the rank of the peer to whom the coat of arms belonged.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline divaofdesign

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 May 12 00:35 BST (UK) »
This page won't let me post a picture. It has a very small size limit. I've done quite a bit of research.  Is there somewhere else I might send a photo & info?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 May 12 01:57 BST (UK) »
This might help you post an image:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,130922.0.html

I find the third explanation down the easiest to follow.  ;)

I am a complete novice regarding these things, but I have read that you might need to change the filename if you wish to repost an image you have attempted previously (as it sounds like you may have done). I am the blind leading the blind as I know nothing of these things, but good luck with it. I think an image is essential to try to ID this.

Do you mind telling us where you got the tea service from? It sounds like it must have a very interesting history.