Author Topic: 19th Cent - Drogheda, Louth or Meath ? / Flynn & Meehan  (Read 13106 times)

Offline patmar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
19th Cent - Drogheda, Louth or Meath ? / Flynn & Meehan
« on: Thursday 03 May 12 23:44 BST (UK) »
On 1911 Census G/Grandparents lived in Dublin. Place of birth was down as Drogheda and they were both 60 years old.

On 1901  place of birth was Co Meath. Their ages on this Census are 53 and 56, not a problem really as both Census show them living at same address.

So, was Drogheda in 19th Century part of Louth or Meath ?

I intend chasing their background as part of family tree but want to be certain I go to the right county records.

Can someone clarify please ?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: In 19th Cent was Drogheda in Louth or Meath
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 May 12 08:05 BST (UK) »
So, was Drogheda in 19th Century part of Louth or Meath ?

I intend chasing their background as part of family tree but want to be certain I go to the right county records.

Can someone clarify please ?

the simple answer is both... it depends in which part of Drogheda they lived and were born.

Most parts of Drogheda north of the river Boyne were in Co. Louth, those to the south in Co. Meath.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline patmar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 May 12 15:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shanew.

Your info suggests I should start looking for baptism records on the Meath side of Drogheda. Would you be aware of what RC churches were around in the area 1850 ?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 May 12 15:33 BST (UK) »
The RC parish which covers most of the Meath section of Drogheda would be St. Mary's. Historic records are available in the NLI on microfilm Pos. 4180. Baptism records for the parish go back to 1835 , marriage records only go back to 1870.

FamilySearch/LDS also seem to have films of these.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline patmar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Flynn and Meehan in Drogheda
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 April 13 16:10 BST (UK) »
Great grandparents were Nicholas Flynn and Mary Ann Meehan who were married in St James Dublin in 1875. Nicholas was the son of John Flynn and Mary Ann was the daughter of Philip Meehan. On 1911 Census both were 60 years old so born in 1851. On 1901 Census Nicholas was 53 years old so means he was born in 1848. Mary Ann was 53 so born in 1846. Differences in ages from one Census to another is complication No 1 Second complication is that one Census they were both born in Co Meath and the other in Drogheda. Heard about the Drogheda division between the counties.
Sent copy of marriage cert to St Mary's Drogheda and they cannot find link the 4 names on the cert with their records. Aware of other church in Drogheda St Peters and should be next port of call but is there anyone who may be aware of this problem in the past and who came up with a better solution ?

Also, have obtained the Death Cert for a Philip Meehan who died in Drogheda Workhouse in 1881 and who was born in 1795. Cert doesnt give home address so anyone know of records for that Workhouse as the Philip Meehan may have a connection to my grandparent Mary Ann Meehan.

Thanks in advance

Offline mjflynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 19th Cent - Drogheda, Louth or Meath ? / Flynn & Meehan
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 May 14 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have also come across this family while I have been researching descendants of Flinn's buried in Kilsharvan cemetery just outside Drogheda and believe that this family are among the descendants of the Kilsharvan Flinn's. I found a baptism record for Nicholas in St Mary's Drogheda which covers the Meath side of Drogheda and the surrounding area: Nicholas Flinn bapt 16 Oct 1847, father John Flinn, mother Anne Casey. I have various other bits of information that I am happy to share.

Michael.

Offline patmar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Michael, thanks for your post.

Now totally confused, in January or February this year we found a Nicholas Flinn born in 1850 in Rathkenny Parish Co Meath. Fathers name was John Flynn but no name of mother. Had made contact before that with St Marys and St Peters in Drogheda and both said they had no corresponding baptisms. Was happy with the Rathkenny find but now you have raised serious doubts as 1901 and 1901 Censuses both indicated great grandparents were both in Drogheda. In fact great grandmother Mary Ann Meehan Flynn we have discovered may have been born on the Roscommon side of Athlone.

It is all very confusing now though I lean towards your information as the probable background of the Flynns. Can I give other bits of info for you to look at

Nicholas Flynn married Mary Ann Meehan at St. James Church, James St Dublin in 1875. They lived in Inchicore at marriage date  and Nicholas was a carpenter in the local rail works. Father of groom was John Flynn and father of bride was Philip Meehan

First born child was Mary Ann Flynn who was my grandmother

Two of their later children were sponsored at baptism by Richard Flynn/ Catherine Lawlor  and Philip Meehan/Georgina Flynn

Any of this link with your info ?

Whatever about finding the origins of my great grandparents their passing away I cannot find out, perhaps they were buried in Meath.

Anyway Michael I look forward to your reply and hope between us solid info can be arrived at

Pat Monks 

Offline mjflynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 May 14 00:25 BST (UK) »
Pat,

I presume St Mary's and St Peter's checked the computerised index rather than the original records, and probably just checked for the more common modern spelling Flynn. Unfortunately the way the index is set up it does not recognise Flynn and Flinn on the same searches so it is necessary to check both.

The marriage details you have for Nicholas and Mary match the record I found.

I have the following children for the couple:
John - 25 Dec 1875 (probably died as a baby)
Maria Anna - 2 Jul 1877
Christina - 11 Dec 1878 (probably died in 1897)
Bridget - 18 Jan 1881 (died 1884)
Margaret - 1883
Joseph - 1886
Nicholas - 1889

According to the 1911 census there should be 8 children in total so I have one missing.

The Flynn sponsors also fit with some of my other information, if this family fit where I think they do, then Richard would be an uncle of Nicholas Snr and Georgina a cousin.

Nicholas' occupation also fits, at least two of his uncles and his grandfather were also carpenters.

I have found a possible death record for Nicholas, but not for Mary.

Michael.

Offline mjflynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 May 14 12:10 BST (UK) »
Pat,

I had a quick check for the Nicholas you found in Rathkenny and found the following:

Nicholas bapt 23 Aug 1850, parents John Flinn and Judith Connor.
I also found Catherine bapt 1839, parents John Flinn and Judith Connor.

Michael.