Author Topic: COMPLETED ** Ludford Almshouses  (Read 1974 times)

Offline anniecat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED ** Ludford Almshouses
« on: Friday 04 May 12 12:44 BST (UK) »
I believe my ancestor, John Gwynn, may have been a resident of the Almshouses at Ludford before he died (there is a burial at Ludford of John Gwynn - aged 80 - on 29 February 1832).   There was a petition (undated) from residents of Ludlow to Edmund Lechmere Charlton esq of Ludford, which is held in the Shropshire archives, recommending John Gwynn as a deserving case.   John Gwynn lived and worked in Ludlow, but may not have been born there or married there (to Ann).  His children are baptised there.

Are there any records of the residents of these Almshouses, either at Herefordshire archives, or perhaps with the Charlton family papers at Worcestershire archives?  I have looked on the Worcestershire's online index but not spotted anything.

I should be most grateful for any information or advice  :) :)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Ludford Almshouses
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 May 12 20:39 BST (UK) »
To be honest, my first point of call would probably be Shropshire Archives http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/archives.nsf because they do have some records of admissions for Ludford Almshouses, and if they don't have them for the time of your ancestor then they probably know where they are!

Offline anniecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ludford Almshouses
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 May 12 15:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that advice, Spidermonkey  :)

I have looked online at the Shropshire index and they do have the Ludford Almshouse accounts for 1845 - 68, which is too late to cover John Gwynn's life.  I see that I will need to approach them directly to discover what I may have missed, and where any further information is located.

Many thanks again
Judith

Offline anniecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
COMPLETED** Ludford Almshouses
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 15:44 BST (UK) »
I have been informed by Shropshire archives that they do not have any records relating to the Ludford Almshouses for the period that John Gwynn may have been resident there.  I think, however, that, given the petition and the burials of both John and Ann Gwynn at Ludford, they both probably were admitted to the Almshouses.   I'd like to think so!