Author Topic: Farrells of Co Galway - Luke and Ellen  (Read 8517 times)

Offline Farrell Finder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Farrells of Co Galway - Luke and Ellen
« on: Friday 04 May 12 19:07 BST (UK) »
My GGG John Thomas Farrell's (~1847 - 1930) death cert says he immigrated from Co Galway.  Census' say around 1853.  He settled in Baltimore, Maryland, married Mary Roche in 1866 and had 7 children.

His parents were Luke and Ellen Doyle Farrell.  I was unable to find any Luke Farrell in Griffiths from Co Galway.

Family lure says 3 brothers came over, Luke, Garrett and our John but I have not been able to confirm that or find the other brothers for certain.  Nothing was ever said about Luke and Ellen immigrating except on notation I found on a handwritten lineage done by a distant relative that said "Luke Farrell ~1853 Red Bank, NJ and I don't know if that was my GGGG or one of the supposed brothers.

Any advise on where to look next for Luke and Ellen in Co Galway would be greatly appreciated.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Farrells of Co Galway - Luke and Ellen
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 May 12 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat  :)

Unfortunately, your searches are before civil registration so you would need to know more localised information.
Griffiths Valuation was 1855 for Galway as I see it so if your the emigration was 1853, then Luke would not be shown.
You have Luke as father to your John but then mention the 3 brothers, Luke, Garrett and 'our John'. :-\

There is some information to help here: Introduction to Irish Records

regards

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 May 12 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I am just wondering, do your records state that he emmigrated FROM Galway of was actually BORN in Galway as this could make a HUGE difference.

The christian name LUKE and the surname FARRELL, while not being rare in Galway are not common either and put them both together would make them slightly a rarer combination.

The name Luke Farrell however does a lot more in Roscommon.

If John Thomas Farrell was born in 1847 and emmigrated in 1853 I suppose it would be most likely he did so with his parents Luke and Ellen Doyle Farrell.

Have you ever tracked any emmigration records for any member of the family ?

Tara

Offline Farrell Finder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 May 12 13:36 BST (UK) »
Tara, thanks for your interest.  I have not seen the original church records, but a transcription of marriages of St Mary's in Baltimore said (Galway) after John's name and (Mayo) after his bride's Mary.  SO I assume those were counties and not specific cities.

I agree, I thought it would be easier to track his parents, Luke and Ellen Farrell down in Co Galway than if they came from Rosscommom but so far no luck.  I thought as John settled in Baltimore and family members said they had entered there but I spent quite a few hours going over microfilm of Baltimore entries from 1850 - 1857 and saw VERy few Farrell and nome with our specific names.  Luke and Garrett and really, only a few Johns.

I found no Luke Farrells in Griffiths.  I do have a small notation made by a deceased relative that says "Luke Farrell - REd Band, NJ 1853".  I have not been able to get to NJ, nor have I found many places on the internet to search thru ships coming there at that time.  I love the search but I hate stone walls!  Kate

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 May 12 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,

Yes, my husband's family came from Galway so I am always interested in people doing trees from there.

I have just seen on another site that you were looking for the marriage of Luke Farrell and Ellen Doyle in Ballina, Co. Galway. Ballina is actually in Mayo (which is where you said that Luke's son John's wife Mary was from) - I just want to be 100% that we are dealing with the correct county before going forward.

Records from this period in Ireland are particularly poor so you need to be really sure of what area you are looking for or else you could go on an awful wild goose chase.

What census have you found John and Mary on that you are 100% sure is them and correct ? If you let me know that, I will have another route around to see what I can find.

Tara

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 May 12 14:11 BST (UK) »
My GGG John Thomas Farrell's (~1847 - 1930) death cert says he immigrated from Co Galway.  Census' say around 1853.  He settled in Baltimore, Maryland, married Mary Roche in 1866 and had 7 children.

His parents were Luke and Ellen Doyle Farrell.  I was unable to find any Luke Farrell in Griffiths from Co Galway.

Family lure says 3 brothers came over, Luke, Garrett and our John but I have not been able to confirm that or find the other brothers for certain.  Nothing was ever said about Luke and Ellen immigrating except on notation I found on a handwritten lineage done by a distant relative that said "Luke Farrell ~1853 Red Bank, NJ and I don't know if that was my GGGG or one of the supposed brothers.

Any advise on where to look next for Luke and Ellen in Co Galway would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

May I just repeat my query about the names and clarify - are you looking for three brothers (from Galway) called Luke, Garrett and John. Additionally, Luke has a wife Ellen and a son John. Or did Luke and Ellen have the three sons, Luke, Garrett and John.
Apologies if I have misunderstood the information.
As I said earlier, the emigration seems to have occurred before Griffiths Valuation so sadly, they wouldn't be there.

regards
heywood

Offline Farrell Finder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 May 12 14:52 BST (UK) »
To clarify:

Luke and Ellen Doyle Farrell are the parents of John Farrell - from John's death cert.  That cert says he was born in Ire,  Baltimore church records say (Galway) after his name and (Mayo) after his brides name but no specific city/town.

Family lure says there were 3 brothers, Luke, Garrett and JOhn that immigrated here.  Census records tell me John came over in either 1851 or 1855 depending on which census you believe.  He was naturalized according to the census.

John settled in Baltimore where he married Mary Roche from Co Mayo (according to church records) and had 7 children.  Have not found the other brothers nor have I found any documents showing any/all of there immigrations.

Have found one family notation that a Luke came into Red Bank, NJ in 1853.  If that is so, I don't know if that was the father Luke or an older brother of our John, one of the 3 three brothers.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 May 12 17:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you. It's more clear now.

Did John settle in Baltimore after his marriage?  Presumably, you don't have him in  a census before his marriage?

Offline Farrell Finder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 May 12 18:51 BST (UK) »
Yes, JOhn met his wife, Mary Roche (of Co Mayo) in Baltimore where they married in 1866.

I have been able to track John Farrell, a stonecutter,  first in a 1860 Baltimore city directory.  Makes me think the 1842 birth year from the 1880 census makes the most sense of all the years I've seen listed.  I've seen as late as 1849 but that would make him only 11 in 1860 and obviously to young to be a stone cutter.  His death cert said 1947 however.

I have him and Mary in census' from1880, 1900, 10, 20 and he passed in 1930 just before that census.  No other clues as to where in Co Galway he came from.   Hmm, maybe I should see if there were certain areas in Co Galway that had quarries. Kate