Author Topic: Farrells of Co Galway - Luke and Ellen  (Read 8510 times)

Offline Nearysearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Farrells of Co Galway - Luke and Ellen
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I also had a Farrell ancestor, died in Galway - Kilbegnet parish in 1847. Interestingly, many of the tenants of this parish came to Monmouth County, NJ (Red Bank is there) beginning around 1850, when the estate was sold by the Encumbered Estates Court. The parish registers for this parish - now called Glinsk or Creggs - is on-line at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlgal/GLINSK2%20Births%201836.1851.htm.

Give that a try...

Offline BijjHenry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 May 14 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hey Many thanks for the link , i just visited the link and i found the great info about the Glinsk Parish Records 1836 - 1851. It really helps me a lot to get this info.

Red Bank NJ Locksmith

Offline belbelita

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 January 19 03:34 GMT (UK) »
WOW!
You are obviously related to my husband, Peter.
We are preparing for an Ireland trip so I have been working on geneology and have some clues for you regarding John Farrell.
I found a ship manifest for the "Jacob Wedervelt" listing Luke and Ellen Farrell (no Garret, no John) arriving in NY,NY on Oct 6, 1851. Not verified but Luke is not a common name. Then there is a death obit for Oswego NY for a Luke Farrell, wife Ellen and son John but nowhere can I account for when John got to Baltimore. So I doubt the Oswego thing since I cannot verify. 
My husband is from Baltimore and the all his family and cousins live in Towson (referred to as Towsontown in docs). I am excited hearing the three brothers migrating together and peaked by the Red Bank NJ theory. It fits with Edward F Farrell, son of John. His daughter, Mary Hasse, settled around Phila. His wife, Emma, lived in Absecon, NJ. And his fortune was made in Maryland racing and business in Atlantic City. John also served in the Civil War and apparently required "medical attention" for something.
I attached photos of "old man" John who looks just like Peter and another of him with his sons.
I have more information that you may be interested.
I too can find nothing in Irish records for Luke or Ellen Doyle. Rumor is they came from Ballina as that is the name Edward gave the Farrell farm in Maryland.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.