Author Topic: OCCUPATIONS in 17 & 1800's  (Read 5288 times)

Offline janeann1966

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
OCCUPATIONS in 17 & 1800's
« on: Saturday 05 May 12 19:55 BST (UK) »
How odd are the occupation names way back just today I came across a Jappaner & a Virtualler? never had a clue what either one would have involved but was positive Virtualler would be something to do with taking photo's & I was wrong lol has anyone else got any I have also had a lighterman a skinner and a kidcalfman interesting to guess what they are (mind u simple things please simple minds lol)   ;D
Mitchell-Bermondsey, Walworth/ Powers-Stepney, Pekham,/ Flynn-Limerick, Camberwell/ Dawson-Kent/ Bartlett-Deptford Kent,/Burrows-Surrey, Hitchin & Holywell In Bedfordshire

Offline janeann1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: OCCUPATIONS in 17 & 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 May 12 19:58 BST (UK) »
 :D Would be interested to hear anyone else' and I didn't mean if you answer you would be as simple as me lol
Mitchell-Bermondsey, Walworth/ Powers-Stepney, Pekham,/ Flynn-Limerick, Camberwell/ Dawson-Kent/ Bartlett-Deptford Kent,/Burrows-Surrey, Hitchin & Holywell In Bedfordshire

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 May 12 20:01 BST (UK) »

See http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/Museum/metalware/japtrade.htm for examples of japanning.A leather japanner, aka a leather enameller, gave a hard coloured surface to leather by coating it with varnish or collodion spread thickly by hand, brush or slicker (a small hand tool), then dried the leather in a heated chamber.
Virtualler is Victualler. A licensed victualler, was a person selling any intoxicating liquor under a licence from a justice of the peace. Properly a victualling house was one where persons were provided with food and drink but not lodgings, and is thus distinct from an inn, which also provided lodgings.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 May 12 20:17 BST (UK) »
A Lighterman was a member of the crew of a lighter, a large barge like craft used on rivers and sometimes towed round the coast. A Skinner is a general term to denote a worker skilled in the curing and dressing of fur skins.

Stan

Offline janeann1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 May 12 20:30 BST (UK) »
I did look them up and the ones who worked with leather and fur made sense as they lived in Bermondsey Leather Market in Surrey and the Lighterman as all thru the family all the sons did the same and lived in Greenwich by the Thames but the other one got me so it was like a licensee or a glorified barman/maid

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 May 12 21:30 BST (UK) »
From the OED
licensed victualler, one who has a licence to sell food or drink, but esp. the latter, to be consumed on the premises; a publican.
victualling-house A house where victuals are supplied or sold; an eating-house, inn, or tavern. There was a Society of Licensed Victuallers

Stan

Offline janeann1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 May 12 22:15 BST (UK) »
I think whoever did the census that i looked at def got it wrong and couldn't spell lol it was down as a virtualler the leather trade one side of my family were all in skinners jappaners think i spelt that wrong again and other occupation names think i will look up where the leather market was cos when i was younger leather was in and it was called petticote lane maybe the same place i went every weekend thanks Stan thought there would be more input but obviously not ha kind  Regards Jane

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 May 12 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane :)

Some of the old terms do take a bit of getting used to!

There are some links at the top of the Occupation Interests Board that might help you find info about your ancestors' occupations:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,296.0.html

Cheers
Prue

Offline janeann1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 May 12 00:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Prue and i'm at the stage of my search where I want to find out the stories and details about my ancestors ans occupations tells you so much of how they lived Jane