Author Topic: OCCUPATIONS in 17 & 1800's  (Read 5314 times)

Offline janeann1966

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: OCCUPATIONS in 17 & 1800's
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 12:45 BST (UK) »
So thats why I got the victualler/virtualler wrong thanks for that its interesting to know and as for being gloomy I am just looking into how some of my ancestors died one especially at age 22 who died in the workhouse infirmary so I think its important as well. I bet a coal trimmer was a hard life I have alot who worked on the docks but were still in workhouses so suspect alot of work for little pay I love all the stories as well as just names the best part of researching
Mitchell-Bermondsey, Walworth/ Powers-Stepney, Pekham,/ Flynn-Limerick, Camberwell/ Dawson-Kent/ Bartlett-Deptford Kent,/Burrows-Surrey, Hitchin & Holywell In Bedfordshire

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 13:38 BST (UK) »
HELEN SMITH OF THAT FAMILY WAS A TRMMER, AND DIED AGED 15 FROM THE DUST CREATEDFROM IT.CLIPPENS SQR. JOHNSTONE,WE HAVE ALWAYS SUFFERED FROM OUR CHESTS IN THIS FAMILY.
MARCIEDEAN
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline bishenbertie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 22:54 BST (UK) »
this may help you looking for old occupations:-

http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/a.html
Westbrook - London, Oxford
Squibb, Brooks - London
Kingcombe, Parsons, Penny, Crocker, Brooks - Devon

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 13 May 12 18:16 BST (UK) »
Don't want to seem gloomy but if you've got occupations it's often interesting to look at what they eventually died of- some ailments can be linked to the working conditions, I fear.
alexander smith was a quarrierand later when his father could no longer work as a quarrier he employed him as hired help to stack and move rocks around muirhis grandfather died because he set the charges and was not careful enough one day.hugh helped his son alexander and died of congestion dust in his lungs,and died in the poorhouse alexander tried to pay for his fathers keep buy eventually had to rely on the counties help and he was the one who found his father when he died.
but by the time his daughter muriel married he was a builderand no longer a mason, if you think about it masons were needed to make window sills in those days,and i think that is how my grt gran janet met george blanchard steele because of her fathers association with them  through work.

it is only a theory but i cannot see how they would have met otherwise
marcie dean
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet