Author Topic: Paton family in Bankfoot  (Read 2695 times)

Offline PatonClark

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Paton family in Bankfoot
« on: Tuesday 08 May 12 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hello i am trying to find some family links to Bankfoot in Perthshire. My father S****** born 1946 has had a stroke and I cant get much information out of him.

The family lived in Gowanlea Cottage, Prieston Road, Bankfoot.

Any information will be very useful.

Thanks

Clark Paton

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Paton family in Bankfoot
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat  :)

Sorry to hear about your father but we're not allowed to discuss living or possibly living people on the open forum
Are you trying to get further back ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 March 13 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clark,

Odds are good you are related to my husband's family.

If you are keen to search - the 1841 - 71 censuses (censusii?) has James and Catherine Paton at 22 Prieston Road, not Gowanlea, I know - but close...

The ancestral home seems to have been Belstane (alternate spellings Bellstoun, Bellstown, Belston) Farm, just outside of Bankfoot.

I am told that Paton's were there for 400 years up to the turn of this century and provided soldiers each generation.

If you know where you tie in, I may have some other info.  I tie into the previously mentioned James' brother, Peter.

Are you in that area?

Cheers,
Holly
Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven

Offline Hylotrupes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, I may be interested in this chain also. My Father (James Paton) had close connections with Bankfoot and I believe it was his uncle who used to live at Broxden Farm. My Grandmother was nee Dewar (but both grandparents died before I was born). My late father had a sister Nan who married name was Copeman and died in Barassie, Troon, Ayrshire as well as a brother David of whom I know very little indeed except he died about 45 years ago. My father died in Puddletown, Dorset a few years ago and despite my best endeavours I have discovered little about the family except that they seem to have hailed from Bankfoot and perhaps left when farming collapsed in the 1920s or 30s'. Father often mentioned fondly his holidays on Broxden Farm and I have visited there twice (once since the new interchange was built!) I am therefore presuming that Broxden Farm was at some time in the ownership of Patons or Dewars (most probably Patons).

I think my Grandfather had some sort of pub/bar in or near Falkirk and might not have been the only Paton who blended whisky! (not sure how close my Grandmother was to the Dewar dynasty but believe she was quite closely related)

If this links in any way with Paton history you are aware of i should love to hear from you as my feeble attempts at research have drawn blanks.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 April 18 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Hylotrupes , welcome to RC  :)

Have you tried the ScotlandsPeople(paysite) website ?
There are restrictions on modern birth , marriage , and death certificates but the indexes are free to search.
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/statutory-registers

Could this be your aunt ?
Death Annie Jane Paton(other surname Copeman) , age 68 , 1981 Troon Ayr , mother's maiden surname Watson.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 April 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
A warm welcome from me too.

I wonder if these might be a couple of births of interest

Annie Jane Paton 1913 Larbert

David Dewar Paton 1908 Larbert

Larbert is very near Falkirk.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 April 18 10:16 BST (UK) »
Any connection to Paton of Kinross?

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.