Author Topic: Rose family, Sturminster Newton  (Read 8889 times)

Offline Sarmat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rose family, Sturminster Newton
« on: Tuesday 08 May 12 12:13 BST (UK) »
I have some photos of Surminster Newton from 1937 showing the home of Harry Barton Rose b. circa 1847 who emmigrated to Canada (Winnipeg) and whose father was Benjamin Rose, b. 1808, possible d. 1888. of the same town.  I am willing to post these photos in the hopes of finding someone who can identify the buildings photographed AND who may know more about this particular Rose family. You just need to get in touch with me.  The photos were taken by the son of H.B. Rose, namely Ernest M. Rose and his wife, Elizabeth, of Winnipeg, on their grand tour of England in the year of the coronation, 1937.  Thank you..

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Rose family, Sturminster Newton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The "members' interests" section of the Dorset FHS website show 2 members researching the Rose family of Sturminster Newton.   Perhaps an email to them will put you in touch with them:

contactATdorsetfhs.org.uk           replace AT with @

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sarmat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 15:07 BST (UK) »
I never expected a reply so fast!!  Thank you for this contact.  I'll look into it immediately, and I'll let you know what transpires.  Many thanks.

Martha

Offline Sarmat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 15:53 BST (UK) »
Unfortuantely, I can't get on to that site without a registration and I can't afford to pay for a membership.  By any chance, do you have or do  you know of anyone who HAS a membership AND could ask for me?  At least to give these contacts my email address?  Quite presumptuous of me, I know!!  Thanks for any help on this!  Much obliged.

Martha

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Send me your details by PM and I'll see what I can do.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jusnoneed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 16:06 BST (UK) »
You could post the pictures in the Deciphering section to see if anyone can identify them.
Masters, Parker, A'Court, Cary(ey), Cannon, Oram, Reynolds, Hennessy, Chislett,
Somerset
Muspratt,Pitman - Wiltshire, Dorset
Treasure - Stoke Lane & Sherborne

Offline JK2261

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 October 13 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hello ... just read your post concerning the Rose family in Sturminster Newton. We are not members of the Rose family but we have recently purchased a property we know was lived in by Benjamin Rose in the early 1800s. We are on the high street in Sturminster Newton and would be happy to identify the buildings in your photographs. We hope to hear from you soon.  Janet & Mark.

Offline Sarmat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 October 13 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hello ... just read your post concerning the Rose family in Sturminster Newton. We are not members of the Rose family but we have recently purchased a property we know was lived in by Benjamin Rose in the early 1800s. We are on the high street in Sturminster Newton and would be happy to identify the buildings in your photographs. We hope to hear from you soon.  Janet & Mark.

Hello there Janet & Mark,  This is very exciting for me.  I read your response days ago but haven't been able to get back to you for various reasons, but happily now I can respond!  I confirmed what you said, and that is that Benjamin Rose is someone who lived in the home you have recently purchased or at least we can presume it is the one and same person AND that the home is the one and the same.  He would presumably be the grandfather to the Ernest Rose I am researching. I don't know if this is ethical to this site but I would prefer to "talk" to you from my email address as it is more efficient for me to use.  I haven't been to this site for ages as yours has been the first "bite" for a long while.  I can then send you genealogy information as to Benjamin Rose's descendants, and can attach the photos I have of 1937 of possibly your house.  Does this sound reasonable to you?  If not, I will get down to business and try to attach the photos here, but I would like to give you some additional information about myself and explain my desire to visit Sturminster Newton in person.  Waiting for your reply,  Martha    email:  marsarma@hotmail.it

Offline Jessicarose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Martha! I was really excited to read your post; My family are direct descendant of the Roses in Sturminster Newton. Thomas and Jane Rose who were the first free settlers in Australia and came here in the Bellona are my great (X~12 or so) Grandparents.
There's actually a Rose Family Society in Wilberforce, Windsor, NSW Australia that has a whole lot of information on the Rose Family history.
I'm not sure this is the type of information you're after but I would really love to see those photos and chat to you about what you know about the Rose family history in Sturminster Newton!
Hope to hear from you,
Jessica Rose