Author Topic: Sweethillock David Grant 1870  (Read 14396 times)

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sweethillock David Grant 1870
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 February 15 14:52 GMT (UK) »
the mother of the British Prime Minister, Ramsay MacDonald, Ann Ramsay lived at this Sweethillock in Alves in 1861 (through Ancestry)

And on the much more reliable FreeCEN http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Thanks. FreeCEN is particularly valuable for finding neighbours since one can view "Previous Household" and "Next Househould".

Offline COLINBALLINGALL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 06 April 19 12:54 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was born there in 1868 and some of her siblings up to 1877

Offline trimheard

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 20 September 19 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi 

Ann Ramsay the Mother of the first Labour primeminister is registered on this farm in the 1861 cencus and his father John MacDonald also appears to be linked to this farm. which is located west of Elgin near Alves

Hope this helps

Raymond

Offline Gaye Jenkins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 November 19 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
You are making an enquiry about a David Grant and one of your replies says that he was working as a servant for the family that I am researching which is William Mustard of Muirton Farm, Lossiemouth, Moray, Scotland.
Can you tell me if this is true??
Gaye Jenkins

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 November 19 22:55 GMT (UK) »
From family stories in my family Alexander Grant (Forres) was frends with Ramsay Macdonald.  I wonder if there is any connection to your Grants.  Most of what I have is on my Alexander's Mum's side rather than his Dad's (Peter).
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 May 20 14:57 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was born there in 1868 and some of her siblings up to 1877

Sorry, I just noticed your reply - haven’t checked rootschat for some time. What was your great grandmother’s maiden name? My great-grandfather, a David Grant, was employed  at Sweet Hillock/Sweethillock as a farm servant and other farms in the community, such as Balgreen, Muirton and Balormie.

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 01 May 20 15:10 BST (UK) »
From family stories in my family Alexander Grant (Forres) was frends with Ramsay Macdonald.  I wonder if there is any connection to your Grants.  Most of what I have is on my Alexander's Mum's side rather than his Dad's (Peter).

Sorry, I just noticed your reply - haven’t checked rootschat for some time. My Grandfather was a Richard Grant. He was born in 1870, five years after Ramsay MacDonald, in Lossiemouth and lived a couple of streets from him. Richard probably knew of Ramsay at a young age. Ramsay was very bright and quickly moved ahead. I believe he was teaching school at age 15! My Grants did not live in Forres, but there are family connections to it.

Offline eversg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 01 May 20 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi there
You are making an enquiry about a David Grant and one of your replies says that he was working as a servant for the family that I am researching which is William Mustard of Muirton Farm, Lossiemouth, Moray, Scotland.
Can you tell me if this is true??
Gaye Jenkins

Hi Gaye,
Sorry, I just noticed your reply - haven't checked rootschat for some time.
William Mustard was a prosperous farmer at Sweethillock, Ogston - now under the RAF base in Lossiemouth. Muirton farm was located near Sweethillock. In 1875 he paid £105 10s in rent (1875 Valuation Roll - ScotlandsPeople). He was listed as an "Occupier". The proprietor of all of the farms in the area was a Sir William Gordon Gordon Cumming, Baronet. His Factor was J.(?) Robert Walker, Whiter. I'll have to check my records to find the Muirton reference.

Cheers,
Grant

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 01 May 20 17:10 BST (UK) »
In 1875 he paid £105 10s in rent (1875 Valuation Roll - ScotlandsPeople).
No, that's not what it means.

The so-called rentals on a valuation roll are an assessment on a rather arbitrary set of criteria. This so-called rental value is then used to calculate the amount of money payable in rates (i.e. local taxes) to the local council each year.

Whatever rent he actually paid could be quite different, and the only place you would be able to find that that would be in the records of the estate that owned the property. I do not know if the estate records of Sir William Gordon Gordon Cumming have survived or if so whether they are accessible.

You also need to be sure that you don't confuse Sweethillock in the parish of Drainie with Sweethillock in the parish of Alves. These are two entirely different farms.
One in the parish of Drainie https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ1969
One in the parish of Alves https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ1361

J Robert Walker would be a Writer, not Whiter. A Writer is another word for a lawyer or solicitor.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.