Author Topic: MEUVLY or MEUWLY in Switzerland  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Skybluechris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mmm ... tasty!
    • View Profile
MEUVLY or MEUWLY in Switzerland
« on: Wednesday 09 May 12 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am seeking more information about the origins of my great great grandfather John Joseph MEUVLY (or MEUVLEY or MEUWLY or MEUWLEY), born circa 1821.

In the 1851 Census he is living in the East End of London (Marsh Street) as a single man and his place of birth is stated as Fribourg, Switzerland, having possibly emigrated to escape the Sunderbund war, though once again, I don't know that for a fact.  When he married his wife (Mary Ann Cook) I do not know, though it is likely sometime between 1851 and 1852.  There is a possibility that he had a illegitimate child, Gaspard in 1845, though the link can't be proven and there is only the (somewhat unusual) surname to go on.

In trying to establish the link to Gaspard, I noted that there were a number of John (Jean) Joseph Meuwlys with Gaspard brothers and uncles in the area of Cressier.  The Swiss family records that I have accessed seem to be very comprehensive, yet I can't make the final link.

In the 1861 Census he is living in Glaucus Street, Bow with his wife and children (Nancy Jane (Annie), Margaret, Olive Louisa and Annabella Elizabeth.  He is working as a lamp black maker, possibly down the road at the Bow Common Gasworks.

John Joseph died on 15 Aug 1864 in the London Hospital, Whitechapel.  There was no family informant.  His wife, Mary Ann went on to deliver two 'posthumous' daughters, Martha and Mary on 5 Mar 1865.

I have listed the name of the children as it may give some indication should better Swiss records come to light than have hitherto been available to me.  I'd hope that there can't have been that many John (Jean) Joseph Meuwlys born in Fribourg around 1821, but I don't know how to find those that were!

This is as much as I know and would welcome any ideas on how to find out more.

Kind regards
Christopher Barnes
Barnes, Rickett, Osborn and Durrant near Hemel Hempstead
Chinnick in Devon and London
Nettleship in Lincolnshire
Meuvly (Meuvley and Meuwly) in London and Switzerland
Cook in Hampshire
Craig, Johnston, McCollum, Wright, McAlister, Boyd, Perry and Crooks in County Antrim

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MEUVLY or MEUWLY in Switzerland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 19:35 BST (UK) »
Meuwly appears to be a fairly common surname in Canton Fribourg.  Type it into this site to see the communities from which it originates: http://www.hls-dhs-dss.ch/famn/index.php?lg=e  Your next step could be to ask the Cantonal Archives whether they will check the churchbooks for you.
But how certain are you about Cressier?  You need to know as the records are location based, and they might not been keen on trawling through too many places before wanting to charge!
Alternatively the local FHS might help.  See this page for links to both (and some other info): http://kunden.eye.ch/swissgen/kant/frallg-e.htm#soc

Good luck
Paul

Offline Skybluechris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mmm ... tasty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Paul

Thanks for the reply.  Up until the 1851 Census entry came to light, I had surmised that Fribourg was the best candidate Canton, but had nothing else to go on.  Short of some form of diplomatic record, getting down to the town or village level may be very difficult.  Hence I included the names of the children as it might be a clue, albeit a tenuous one.

I will try to follow up with the Cantonal Archives.  I had looked at them previously, but couldn't seem to work out how to ask them to conduct a search when I didn't have a geographical location below the Canton level.  I'll hope that there will be some kindly FHS souls in Fribourg who may be able to help me too.

I'll keep the thread updated with any progress.

Thanks once again for your help.

All the best
Christopher
Barnes, Rickett, Osborn and Durrant near Hemel Hempstead
Chinnick in Devon and London
Nettleship in Lincolnshire
Meuvly (Meuvley and Meuwly) in London and Switzerland
Cook in Hampshire
Craig, Johnston, McCollum, Wright, McAlister, Boyd, Perry and Crooks in County Antrim

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 August 20 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi There, I believe Mary Ann to be a cousin (through her mother's sister Rachel Freeman (1809–1856) m William Heather)

Mary Ann Cook Bap 1826 Bentley, Hampshire, parents John Cook (1803-1885) & Olive Freeman (1804-1871)
We have a tree on Ancestry . I've only just come across this connection, so still collating what I can.

What a nightmare the Meuvly surname is; NEVER the same way twice!

Have you been able to ID birth registrations for the kids of JJ Meuvly & Mary ann cook,
and anything from the 1871 census?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher and Pauline

Today some sources for researches in the Canton Fribourg in Switzerland are available online.
On familysearch you'll find the census lists of the Canton Fribourg of the 19th century.

Schweiz, Freiburg, Volkszählung (census) 1834 (this one you can search by name).
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/2142772

Fribourg: 93 avenue de la porte des etangs (street where they lived)

Meuwly Caspard, age 45 years, ouvrier = labourer
Meuwly Claudine, age 43 years, house keeper
Meuwly Jean Joseph, age 13 years (= born in 1821!)
Meuwly Louis, age 4 years

Some newspapers of the Canton Fribourg (and other parts of Switzerland) are also available online.
https://www.e-newspaperarchives.ch/?l=fr

Regards
Svenja
Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.