Author Topic: HUmfrey family  (Read 8863 times)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HUmfrey family
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 May 12 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Humphrey,

When you get time a search on http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search brings up many entries.

We know that Charles the Mayor was an architect and banker (his father was a carpenter and joiner and I have never seen  any mention of him being involved in the banking business).

A piece in the London Gazette on 12 September 1844 mentions  Charles Humfrey and Charles Humfrey junior carrying on the business of bankers at Cambridge.

15 Nov 1844 a partnership  in an oil and candle business is dissolved between Charles Humfrey and another person.  They traded as E. Manning and Co.

31 July 1848, 19 September and 17 October 1848 references to Charles Humfrey the younger, late of Cambridge, banker and of Manor-street, Camberwell and mentions Manning and Co.

5 December 1848 and 12 January 1849 mention Charles Humfrey the elder, late of Cambridge, banker, deceased.

There are many more later mentions of  Charles and a Charles junior/the younger who relate to Charles (1808) and Charles (1834) to do with oil/candle type businesses.

So from the above we have Charles the Mayor and his son involved in the Cambridge Bank in 1844.  Around that time or just before the Cambridge business or Humfrey was in serious financial trouble.

From the next we know learn that Charles the younger and late of Cambridge, banker was in Camberwell and in the oil and candle trade.

And in 1848 Charles Humfrey is described as the elder and late of Cambridge. 

The articles then show a move to Chester.

We also know from census records that Charles (1808) was living in Camberwell in 1851 and 1861 and was in the oil and candle business and Charles (1834) was in Newington in 1861 also in the oil trade. 

So to my mind the connection is pretty clear. 

Selina

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HUmfrey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 12 May 12 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Selina, just seen your post.In a very sunny Burgandy France, looking for boat moorings.

You have been busy,the Chester business was also oil and candles.

I took my I pad so I could Skype my daughter.

No kitchen for me tonight.
Contact you soon.
                Regards Humfrey.

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 May 12 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Humfrey,

Hmmm not sure deserting the kitchen is allowed!!

Hope you have a nice time, at least weather here has brightened up.

I don't have much on the father of Charles the Mayor, there is a burial that might be his but need to see if parish register offers information to confirm or otherwise.  I do have more on his mother's side (Elizabeth Cotton) but will come to that when you have had chance to sort out a bit.

Selina

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HUmfrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 27 May 12 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hello again Selina, I am back but this beautiful weather has kept me in the garden.

I have did read all the London gazette bits, and searched their names on the web, what an interesting.

The Dee oil company on the Wirral was part owned by Charles ( 1834 )

But it's John Charles Willis born 1879 Annie Kate's brother who is worth reading about.

I am in London this coming week but will keep in touch.

Kind regards Humfrey

Offline Kyleparrish

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 September 17 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Charles Humfrey 1739-1796 and his wife are buried at lolworth church between Cambridge and Huntingdon

Thank you

Offline HUmfrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 September 17 12:32 BST (UK) »
Kyle Parrish, thank you , still working on the Humfrey family, all information gratefully received.

Humfrey.

Offline Sue222

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hello HUmfrey
Charles Humfrey (born 1772) was mayor of Cambridge when Queen Victoria was crowned in 1838 and there was a big Coronation dinner on Parker's Piece in Cambridge. Someone wrote a booklet about it in which Charles as mayor features in the preparations. If you google The Coronation Remembrancer it should take you a few entries down to google books and you can read it.

Offline HUmfrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 19:07 BST (UK) »
Sue, thank you for the information, found it. Charles is the only member of my family with a blue plaque ( so far). Humfrey.