Author Topic: Gaskin family of Dublin  (Read 11350 times)

Offline merlin-v

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gaskin family of Dublin
« Reply #18 on: Monday 28 August 17 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony
been reading the the posts attached to this thread, i suspect i would be a 1st cousin of the folks putting together this family background.
just to be sure ill drop a couple of words that should ring some bells if i have the right Gaskins
if so ill post what i have to help

MAY    TOLLA

Offline Dexter 18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 28 August 17 19:31 BST (UK) »
Any relation to this guy or is Gaskins a different name altogether ?

Regards Robbie.

https://comeheretome.com/2015/12/05/a-treasure-trove-of-irish-football-history-peadar-gaskins-photo-album/

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 28 August 17 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony
been reading the the posts attached to this thread, i suspect i would be a 1st cousin of the folks putting together this family background.
just to be sure ill drop a couple of words that should ring some bells if i have the right Gaskins
if so ill post what i have to help

MAY    TOLLA
Hi Merlin-v

Thanks for your post. It is my fairly new sister-in-law for whom I am doing the research and she now has the results of the fantastic response I got when I started this thread. It is her maternal side that is from the Gaskin family and her mother's name is May. She is still alive I believe so I won't add more information online but if necessary we can PM to keep it confidential. The word or name Tolla doesn't mean anything to me and has not come up in my records.

If you are indeed a first cousin I'm sure that she would love to know about you.

Tony

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 28 August 17 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Robbie

Don't know is the shortest answer. Someone earlier in this post remarked that Gaskin was a fairly uncommon name. I'd not come across it before but here is a quote from a surname dictionary
"Last name: Gaskin. This notable surname, recorded in the Irish province of Leinster since the 13th Century, is a variant form of Gascoigne, itself a medieval English regional name for someone from the province of Gascony in South West France."

So the variant seems to be very Irish. My own surname is Vines but in my own history I've come across the variant Vine, even in recent generations. It may be a cleric or administrator mis-hearing the name before writing it down or sometimes maybe because it relates to the plural as in "I am one of the Gaskins" meaning "I am a member of the Gaskin family" Pity the poor cleric who has to get the record straight!

I'd be quite surprised if the Gaskin and Gaskins families didn't have a common ancestor some time in the last 400-500 years.

Thanks for the reference to the famous footballer.

Tony 

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 28 August 17 23:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dathai. I've not had a chance to look these up yet or to see whether they relate. But I will :)

Tony

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
merlin-v

I've been in touch with my sister-in-law and she confirms that the name Tolla was the nickname of her grandfather's sister. So it does seem likely that there is a connection.

At this point we might need to talk about people who are still alive so we should use PM rather than this open part of the forum.

If you also agree that there might be a link please PM me and I'll respond. Incidentally you have to have posted 3 (I think) times to be then able to use the PM system but if you don't yet qualify a couple of short posts to this thread will quickly sort that out.

cheers
Tony

Offline merlin-v

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 10:04 BST (UK) »
Wow we're on the right thread here
Aunt May must be a grand age
I'll place a couple more posts then start a pm connection
Many thanks

Offline merlin-v

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 10:27 BST (UK) »
Little confused you say your sister in law is the granddaughter of Charlie and not his daughter so it's the next generation searching for their roots
Do you want me to post what info I have on here or via a pm
 Cheers. merlin-v