Author Topic: Gaskin family of Dublin  (Read 11353 times)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
Re: Gaskin family of Dublin
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 02 September 17 22:15 BST (UK) »
Folks

I started this thread over 5 years ago when I first started looking into the family of my lovely new (then) sister-in-law with her blessing and interest. I had some great help from posters from the start and was quickly able to join some dots and eventually present her with quite a lot of detail of her Irish ancestors to add to her Scottish and Cumberland family, most of which she was unaware of.

The latest posts have resulted in an introduction by a 1st cousin who was unaware of my sister-in-law or she of him. They are delighted with the contact and he has been able to add a lot of family detail to fill out the bare facts of births, marriages and deaths.

I am stepping out of it now and leaving it to them as they have the tools between them to take it further. I am grateful to all the posters above who have helped me and them to get to this point. RootsChatters Rock!

Tony

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 03 September 17 07:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tony and continued successes in your researching. It never truly ends!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline dc51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony.
It's probably irrelevant, but i live in a small townland outside Cavan town called Ragaskin (gaskins fort)??
DC

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi DC

Thanks for your contact. That's an interesting idea. Not being Irish I don't know how common the name Gaskin is (or was) or its history but if my sister-in-law wants to research her ancestors' history further it would be an interesting line to examine.

It's perhaps an interesting footnote to my work on her behalf that she now has an Irish passport through her Irish ancestors. I think that she may be trying to escape England if we leave the EU. It certainly wasn't why I looked into her background for her but I guess that sometimes the things we do as genealogists have unintended consequences.

Tony

Offline Declan Griffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 08 November 19 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Something you might be interested in.
My great great grandfather Cornelius Griffin lived at 45 Queens square and was friends with Charles Gaskin. Charles was an actor who went under the name Charles Sullivan.
I have attached an extract from a book and also two pictures from an old bible which one of the family owns.
regards
Declan

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 08 November 19 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Declan

Thanks for your contact. Your information is not something that I was aware of and I'm not sure that my sister-in-law knows either. Before I pass on your information to her can I clarify something. You have attached parts of a family bible. Whose family bible is that and if it is your Griffin family why does it have stuff about Charles Sullivan in it?

cheers
Tony

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 09 November 19 09:14 GMT (UK) »

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile