Author Topic: Robert Calder  (Read 5751 times)

Offline screwlooose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Calder
« on: Thursday 10 May 12 06:36 BST (UK) »
Hey there. This is my first venture into Scottish ancestry and i have hit a wall already. My 2x Great Grandfather was Robert Calder. He married in Victoria Australia in 1858. On his marrige cert he has his place of birth as Dundee, Ayrshire. Now my interpretaion of maps I have looked at, show these two places as being on opposite sides of Scotland. Can anyone with some expertee's clear my confusion?
He was born about 1819, fathers name was William Calder and his mothers name was Ellen Harper. This is taken from his death cert.
Any help about where to look would be of help.
thx
Duane
Broughton London
Phillips-Broughton London

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Calder
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 May 12 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Duane

Not seeing much so far that is going to help you unfortunately. As you have found, Dundee is in Angus and Ayrshire is a separate county.

Cannot see anything back in Scotland so far for a couple with the names given on his death cert so far.

Any indication from any document as to when he left Scotland? What if anything was showing for his father William's occuapation? What was Robert's occupation? From the little I can see on line, Robert Calder born c. 1820?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline screwlooose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 May 12 06:56 BST (UK) »
I have nothing in writing other than family stuff that says he was a sea captain, but that is just family stuff. I can't find any immigration documents. Unfortunatly the earliest reference I have is as a miner. It was gold rush time so no other occupation given. No occupation for father on marrige cert. On his death cert it has father as Wm. Robert died in 1893 and his will has his age as 74, so 1819 approx.
So any help would be great.
thx
Duane
Broughton London

Offline screwlooose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Confusion with location
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 00:27 BST (UK) »
Hello there. I have what I thought was just confusion or a deliberate error in my tree. On my Great Grandfathers marriage cert he has his birth from Dundee, Ayrshire. From what I see they are in two different places. So I left it as an unanswered question. Today though, I watched an Australian WDYTYA with Delta Goodram and one of her relatives was said to have come from Dundee in Ayrshire. Straight away it pricked my interest. Is there a connection between the 2 places or was it a common mistake.
His name was Robert Calder and born around 1819.

Threads merged.
Broughton London

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Confusion with location
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 00:39 BST (UK) »
I don't know the answer to your question but maybe with some extra info. such as where he was at later dates & when, may help us?

Do you have him on any census records, did he stay in Scotland or did he immigrate?

If you can add all you know it will help others to help you.

For what it's worth...

I would need to check back on SP but I have an ancestor recorded as born 'Beith' & if I recall correctly it was Beith, Fife which wasn't the case as it was Beith, Ayrshire!!!

I spent an absolute fortune trying to locate the birth (pre the free index)!!!

If you can't find your ancestor in Fife then Ayr would be the place?

Where did Robert marry, who did he marry, who were his children & what info. do you have to date please?

Add all you know to save researchers going through info. you may already have.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 00:52 BST (UK) »
I forgot to add...

From memory, the family were actually living in Dundee at the time the 'Beith' birth was recorded as being Fife rather than Ayr (on a census)!

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 05:26 BST (UK) »
Dundee is in Angus which was historically a county, known officially as Forfarshire from the 18th century until 1928. No Ayr and Dundee relationship as far as I know.

Offline screwlooose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
I wish I had more info. All I have about his Scottish history is from his death cert. it says his father was William Calder, Innkeeper, and his mother was Ellen Harper. I cannot find his immigration to Australia. It was around the gold rush. And as I said on his marriage cert it says he was from Dundee Ayrshire.
I did find a birth for a Robert, father William and mother Helen. Helen and Ellen can be the same but the dates never match nor the location.
Broughton London

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
Just a thought!

Is Dundee very clear to read or could it be Dunure?

Closest name I could find for now in Ayr.

Annie