Author Topic: Bells of Canonbie  (Read 6363 times)

Offline minto77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bells of Canonbie
« on: Thursday 10 May 12 16:31 BST (UK) »
I am researching my family tree. My family comes from Canonbie. The oldest record I have is a marriage of Arthur Bell to a Margaret Scott in 1831. Arthur was a cotton weaver and lived a Bogra until his death in 1858 and was buried in Kirkbankhead Cemetery.His eldest son moved to Teviothead and later to Hawick.
Since the family was large as shown on the 1851 and 1861 census (He also married a Margaret Cairns and later an Isabella Jackson) there must be some relations in or around Canonbie. Are you one of them??

Offline glen mein

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Bells of Canonbie
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 11:17 BST (UK) »
I just located your SOS for information re Bell family in Canonbie.
One of our early ancestors, Lieutenant-Colonel Nicol Alexander Mein, following his retirement from the English military in 1818, retired to Canonbie where his mother and two military brothers were already retired to. 
L/C Nicol A Mein and Ann Bell (christened Jane Bell) never married, but had three children:
George Augustus Mein, (27.12.1822) who immigrated to Australia in 1853;  William Henry Mein (11.6.1832) who immigrated to New Zealand; and Pulteney Mein (8.7.1835 Cabonbie) who immigrated to Australia in 1857.
Anne (Joan) Bell (23.2.1791 Airlee) was the daughter of David Bell and Christian Davidson of Annandale.  Her parents were Thomas Bell and Ivan Henderson, and her great-grandparents were David Bell and Nancy Maiden. 
Anne's siblings were Christopher Bell (b.21.8.1793 Airlee, Canonbie); and David Bell (b. 20.5.1795 Airlie).
In 1815 Anne married Sargeant Walter/Christopher(?) Jackson, and they had 3 children:  William Jackson (10.7.1818); David (29.7.1819); and Christian (ca.1820). 
In 1851 Anne was living with her daughter Christian, her husband Joseph Brough and their son Peter.
In the Old Canonbie Kirkyard is the Mein mausoleum, where brothers Lieut-colonel William Mein was buried in 1836; later Nicol Mein in 1847; and lastly Pulteney Mein in 1908.                                                        William's memorial stone was stolen from the mausoleum wall about 1910, so in 2010 my husband and I, plus 4 other Mein family members had a new memorial stone made, which was dedicated by Rev. Stephen Fulcher.  Archie and Elizabeth Findlay were also in attendance. 
Do any of the above names fit in with your Canonbie Bell family?  I do hope so.
Kindest regards, 
Glenice Mein, Brisbane, queensland, Australia

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 16:27 BST (UK) »
I think a family named Mein family were connected with the Edinburgh post office for many years,

Skoosh.

Offline minto77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 May 12 10:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for info. The only names that may be of interest is Ann Bell although the dates dont seem to fit.

Offline byker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mein - Canonbie
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 January 16 00:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching my Corrie/Currie family.
Nicholas Corrie/Currie born abt 1795 in Scotland, I believe was born in Hoddom, Dumfriesshire, son of John Corrie.
Nicholas was a farmer and by 1861 cattle dealer.
There is a John and George Corrie of Ecclefechan, Hoddom in a record for 1798 they are cattle dealers.
George Corrie married Frances/Fanny Mein (marriage not found).
I think she was born abt 1776 -1781 possibly the daughter of Andrew Mein and Elizabeth Dalzell who are the parents of Pultney Mein, William Mein and Nichol Alexander Mein. One of George and Fanny's granddaughters was called Elizabeth Dalzell and George and Fanny's first son was Pullney Andrew Corrie born in 1798.
Bye - Suffolk, Durham, Northumberland
Currie - Cumberland & Northumberland
Stewart - Durham (Isaac Stewart)
Francis - Ireland & Durham
Falla - Northumberland (Selby Falla)
Smith - Aberdeenshire (Erskine Smith)
Gardner - Ireland (Singleton Gardner)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 January 16 00:34 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my family tree. My family comes from Canonbie. The oldest record I have is a marriage of Arthur Bell to a Margaret Scott in 1831. Arthur was a cotton weaver and lived a Bogra until his death in 1858 and was buried in Kirkbankhead Cemetery.His eldest son moved to Teviothead and later to Hawick.
Since the family was large as shown on the 1851 and 1861 census (He also married a Margaret Cairns and later an Isabella Jackson) there must be some relations in or around Canonbie. Are you one of them??

Hi Minto,

I think you may get more response if the children were named in order with dates.

"Eldest son" doesn't tell us much  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 January 16 02:46 GMT (UK) »
I have Bells in Canonbie too.  :)

My earliest is William Bell b 1799, but I have nothing more about him than an approximate birth year and place.

He married Jessie Brown in 1840. She was born at Meinside, Middlebie. This is still a farm. I wonder if there is a connection with the Mein family.

Offline minto77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 January 16 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosinish  Here is a list of the children of Arthur Bell @Bogra 1808?-1858
Wife Margaret Scott...Arthur 1832-1910
                                 William 1833
                                 Ann       1835-1836
Wife Margaret Cairns  John      1840
                                  James   1841
                                  Ann       1842
Wife Isabella Jackson.Henry    1848
                                 Jane       1850
                                 Margaret 1853-1918
                                 William Graham 1847 (Stepson)

Offline choc_lamington

• RootsChat Extra
  • Life is a wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 January 18 02:47 GMT (UK) »
I have just recently discovered a Bell in my family too

Martha Bell b. 21 Nov 1765 in Canonbie, Dumfries
f. Thomas Bell & Mother Barbara Nickle

Martha married a William Allan
Their son, also William Allan b 1791 married a Margaret Maxwell (Maswell) (who's mother Elizabeth Masewell was recorded as being born in Ireland)
Their granddaughter was Rebecca Maxwell Allen, whom I was lucky enough to receive her bible that had been passed down to my grandmother.
I'll be heading to Scotland in September and hope to get to Canonbie to do a bit of information hunting on the Bells and Allens.
Leech, Harvey, Karlsson, Graham, Hare, Cullen