Author Topic: Hendry nee Coyle - buried in the backyard? :) No death certificate...  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Silkweb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

I have a Susan HENDRY (nee COYLE b.1862) who married William Lawrence HENDRY in 1896  Dundee, Scotland.

Susan's parents were: Patrick COYLE & Catherine YOUNG m.1862 Dundee

I have all the BDM's except Susan's death certificate. I have no idea WHERE Susan died.

Susan was alive for the 1901 Scotland Census and was deceased by 1908, when her husband married again.

On his marriage certificate he states his wife is 'deceased', though no date when she died. :p

After scouring Scotlands People (under every variation I could think of :), I paid the BDM Registry to search for Susan's death between 1901 & 1908.  They couldn't find Susan's death either.

In 1901 Susan was living at Brook St Erskine Cottages, Monifieth and in 1908 it appears William is living in Well St Monifieth in 1908.

I have searched what graveyards are available online and no luck.

I have also search Germany, New Zealand, UK and Australia, in case Susan was visiting family.

Any suggestions would be welcomed. :)

Kind regards,
Silkweb.
Back - Devon Eng 1800; Back - Hampshire Eng 1852 - Blackman - Cambridge, Eng 1790; Crichton - Edinburgh, Scot 1790; Hendry 1790 Dundee, Scot; Hislop Angus, Scot 1840; Jameson/Jamison - 1844 NSW, Aust; Murphy 1780 Kilkenny, Ire, 1815 Cork, Ire; Ross 1838 Holstein, Denmark;  Umlandt, Hamburg, Ger 1780-1900;

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Hendry nee Coyle - buried in the backyard? :) No death certificate...
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 May 12 20:01 BST (UK) »
I've got one like that. William McKenzie was born, lived, married, produced 11 children and was buried, all in Montrose. The burial record says he died on 7 December 1909 but I, and the staff in the Scotland's People Centre, have failed to find a death certificate.

PS How do you search Germany, as a matter of curiosity?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline gracie23

• RootsChat Member
  • We Remember
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 May 12 20:03 BST (UK) »
If this is your correct Susan Hendry in the 1901 Scotland census it states her occupation is "Wife of Jute Massions Tenter of Ovsent India."  ???
Perhaps a poor transcription of something I would imagine.
As I do not see William with her in 1901, perhaps he is overseas in India and she joined him there at some point and died in India?  ::)
Might be worth investigating if you haven't checked there yet.

Deb

KEARNEY/CARNEY: Ireland
QUINLAN: Ireland
CONLIN: Ireland
COYLE: Longford Ireland to Montreal, Canada
PRENDERGAST: Kerry, Ireland to Montreal, Canada
O'LEARY: Wexford Ireland to Montreal Canada
MURPHY: Wexford Ireland
DOYLE: Wexford, Ireland
BRENNAN: Wexford, Ireland
LEAHY: Ireland
NOLAN: Ireland to Boston, Massachusetts

Offline Silkweb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 May 12 20:15 BST (UK) »
Deb,

Yes that's Susan in the 1901.  As far as I know they didn't go to India.

I suppose I'd better check India, just in case.  Wouldn't think their record keeping would be very good. :p

I did find a possible entry for William in Dundee for 1901.

Little Magdalena ended up back in Germany and Susan & William Hendry's natural,  son, David, stayed with his father in Angus.

Forfarian - I had hired a German Researcher to work on Susan's 1st husband, so the Researcher searched for her death and couldn't find it either.

Sherrie.

Back - Devon Eng 1800; Back - Hampshire Eng 1852 - Blackman - Cambridge, Eng 1790; Crichton - Edinburgh, Scot 1790; Hendry 1790 Dundee, Scot; Hislop Angus, Scot 1840; Jameson/Jamison - 1844 NSW, Aust; Murphy 1780 Kilkenny, Ire, 1815 Cork, Ire; Ross 1838 Holstein, Denmark;  Umlandt, Hamburg, Ger 1780-1900;

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 May 12 22:19 BST (UK) »
I suppose I'd better check India, just in case.  Wouldn't think their record keeping would be very good. :p

Try www.fibis.org - you might be surprised.

Forfarian - I had hired a German Researcher to work on Susan's 1st husband, so the Researcher searched for her death and couldn't find it either.

Thanks.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Silkweb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 May 12 14:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link. :)

Can't find anything at the moment, will keep searching. :)

Kind regards,
Sherrie.