Author Topic: 1901 Census - Richard Byworth - COMPLETED WITH MANY THANKS TO KEYBOARD86  (Read 4369 times)

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
From a basic search of the 1901 census, there are 3 Richard Byworths in York.  One aged 5, one 21 and the third 61.  I think they could all be related!  If someone could please let me have details of the family/families on the 1901 census it would be very much appreciated.

With many thanks.

Zephyr
 :)
Census information is Crown Copyright from nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census - Richard Byworth
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 May 12 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Zephyr, we have:-

Joseph Byworth occ Cab Driver b York
Selina J 42 b Pateley Bridge
Charles 15
Edith M 13
Joseph 11
James 8
Richard 5
All children born York
residing at Tanner Row, York
Census Ref RG13/4440/7/5

Richard 61 Widower occ Cab Driver b Tuxford Notts
Richard 21 occ Cab Driver
Thomas 19 occ Cab Driver
Frank 12
Mildred 10
Emily 8
William 4
All children born York
Residing at 3. St Martins Square, York
Census Ref RG13/4440/86/35
Keyboard86

PS the 61 year olds wife was an Emma b c 1851 St Marys Bishophill, which is the birth place of the children on the 1901 above
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census - Richard Byworth
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 May 12 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Keyboard86

That's brilliant, thank you.

I have a Byworth marrying into my Bardy family but I have been unable to find Richard Byworth (born circa 1880) on freebmd, yorkshirebmd or familysearch.  At least I now know he was born in York.  With the extra information you have provided I have found the older Richard Byworth on the 1881 census with his wife Emma who is nee Cowton - fortuitiously her mother is living with the family on 1881 census (which always helps).

Thank you very much indeed for helping me out.

With kind regards.

Zephyr
 ;D

Offline lew55majorca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census - Richard Byworth - COMPLETED WITH MANY THANKS TO KEYBOARD86
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 August 12 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am the great great grandaughter of Richard Byworth born in York 1880, son of Richard (b:1840) & Emma Cowton. Richard enlisted into the Canadian army sometime between 1914 & 1919, & died in 1979 aged 99 in Delta, British Columbia. I don't think he re-married (was married to Clara Moore in England - don't know if they divorced) as he was 'single' on his death certificate.
I am distantly related to the Bardy family - Aunt Dolly is my late mothers aunt.
If I can be of any further help, please get in touch.
Kind regards, Lori Wade (nee Byworth)

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 August 12 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Lori

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been busy out on the golf course!

Thank you for contacting me and for the photograph of Richard Byworth (born 1880).  I have been contacted by a Josephine Cooper on GenesReunited.  From the information you and she has provided it seems that my connection may not be with the Byworths.  I have Charles Bardy born 1916 in York marrying Dorothy Edith B Byworth born 1914 at St Maurice's, York in 1936.  However, it seems that Dorothy may not be a Byworth!  I did wonder why some of the offspring of Richard and Clara had Brown as a middle name.

I did download a copy of Richard's Attestation Papers (he enlisted 1915 and said he was single) and also details of his death registration in Canada.

From the information you have, do you know if Richard had a middle name - Thomas?  On 1881 census Richard and Emma have a son Thomas aged 1 (no son Richard) but on 1891 census Richard is 11 and there is a son Thomas Henry aged 8.  If Richard was born 1880 he should have been on 1881 census!

I don't suppose it's possible to confirm one way or another whether Dorothy was indeed the daughter of Richard - a mystery indeed.

Do you by any chance know where Richard was at the time of the 1911 census?  Obviously, his marriage didn't last that long as the first child with Brown as a middle name was born 1907 - four years after they got married.  The last I have of Richard is the 1901 census and the fact he got married in 1903 and then I just have the Attestation Papers 1915, some 12 years after his marriage.  If you can throw any light on the intervening years it would be appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards.

Zephyr

Offline lew55majorca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 August 12 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Yes, I don't think Dorothy's father was Richard as he had left for Canada before she was born ! (Although she's alway's been known to us as Aunt Dolly). My grandfather, Mervyn Richard was the first child of Richard's. I understand that the second child, Vera Eileen, that there was a family 'scandal' & she was not on the 1911 census along with her 'brothers' - she was on the 1911 census as living with her grandmother at Ellerton.
I don't understand why Richard was not on the 1881 census as he was born 25th January 1880, so in theory, should have been on it a year later (?).
Also on the assertation form Richard states his birth date as 1884 although he was born in 1880 & his death certificate (which I have just rec from Canada) also states his birth as 1880. I have checked to see if there was another Richard Byworth born in 1884 but cannot find one. My only surviving uncle (also called Richard Byworth !) say's he definatly went to Canada.
I would love to find out what happened to him whilst he was in Canada, but all my enquires so far, have been unsuccessful.
If you are related to the Bardy's then none of this will be of any meaning to you, although we have alway's treat my grandfathers sibling's families as our own - although we are not close, we attend weddings, funerals etc & catch up with each other.
Strangely enough, my next door neighbour is a Bardy, although I have not spoken about it to them yet.
If I can be of any further assistance, please get in touch,
Kind regards, Lori

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 August 12 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Lori

Thank you for coming back to me.  I have sent you a personal message regarding this matter.  When you 'enter' Rootschat, at the very top of the page you will see that you have (1) message.

Kind regards.

Zephyr

Offline Hardup365

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 December 12 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lori
I am married to Judith Bardy who is Dolly's daughter and her Grandmother was Clara Byworth whom she knew very well.
We have always wondered what happened to Richard Byworth as Grandma and Dolly would never discuss it.Richard Byworth appears on the birth certificate as the father of Dolly and she was born in 1914 but sadly passed away in November 2011 aged 97
Judith thinks your mothers name was Joan who was Mervyn's daughter
Please feel free to contact us through this post and if you live in the UK we would love to meet you