Author Topic: If the surname is Irish, why was he born in Scotland?  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Sheldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
If the surname is Irish, why was he born in Scotland?
« on: Friday 20 May 05 12:48 BST (UK) »
My 2xgreatgrandfather Robert William McGoverne was born 1838 in Scotland. 1881 Census had him as Army Schoolmaster. R.A.
The name is obviously Irish, do you think he was the child of an army father? And if so what regiment would the father be attached to?  I cant figure out how to find the fathers name to order a certificate.
Any ideas?

Sheldon.
McGoverne,  Bacon (Suffolk) Jeffries (Suffolk) Beaumont (Yorkshire) Gomersall (Yorkshire)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: If the surname is Irish, why was he born in Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 May 05 01:46 BST (UK) »
have you looked for him on SP? As he was born before civil registration in scotland, the parents names would be on the index. I couldn't find him on the IGI

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline possum_pie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 May 05 03:09 BST (UK) »
1861 census shows him living in forces quarters with wife Louisia McGovern (21), schoolmistress with 2/21 regiment.  She was born in Sporrick (?), Suffolk.  He is just down as Scotland. 

1881 census shows him as army schoolmaster, royal artillery living with :
Sophia A (42) pensioned army school mistress
Kathleen (17)
Agnes (14)
Charlotte (12)
Frederick E.(9)
Ernest G.(7)
Herbert (5)

V=Can't find him on 1871....

Cheers

Ish

WADE, WALSHAW, CAFFREY, HALEY, HEALEY, TYAS, CROPPER, REDFORD, MCCOLL, FRASER, FRAZER

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 May 05 09:01 BST (UK) »
Sheldon,

He had an interesting career himself, as you can trace where he went by the places of birth of his children. And the 1881 census listing is very interesting in it's own right.

Why must you assume that he is Irish! Many people travelled and the links between Scotland and Ireland are (and were) well established. The only other way I have used is a wider search on LDS by surname etc, but it is a long and slow process with many false hopes if you are not careful.

In case you do not have the link

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

Hope this is of use,

Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!

Offline Sheldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 May 05 11:41 BST (UK) »
Rod, I know what you mean. He was certainly all over the show from 1864 to 1872, but I cant chart him between then and 1881, or after 1881 until he died in 1898.  Id let those years go if I could figure out who his father was, or mother. But I cant so I have to keep trying to follow him around until somehting comes up.
AS to the Irishness of his name, everyone says its Irish, and also the spelling is a little different in so far as it has an e on the end.  Im willing to concede it was added at some time but for the life of me I cant figure out why and when.
Thanks for your interest.
Sheldon.
McGoverne,  Bacon (Suffolk) Jeffries (Suffolk) Beaumont (Yorkshire) Gomersall (Yorkshire)

Offline Sheldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 May 05 11:46 BST (UK) »
Ish, I have tried SP, but there is something wrong with my computer and it wont let me get any further than registration, something to do with secure connections etc on my computer. Waiting for the clever nephew to come and sort it out for me.
Thanks for your suggestion and interest.
Sheldon.