Author Topic: Ramsay and Elias Marsh  (Read 3437 times)

Offline bishenbertie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ramsay and Elias Marsh
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 01:20 BST (UK) »
just for info if you are trying to locate the area, windsor safari park is now legoland.
Westbrook - London, Oxford
Squibb, Brooks - London
Kingcombe, Parsons, Penny, Crocker, Brooks - Devon

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 02:50 BST (UK) »
I can't recall a betting office in Stomp Rd and was there often as my bil owned burnham garage before he and my sis moved to Oz.

I have probably got the location wrong. Perhaps I meant Eastfield Road. The Betting shop was on the north side 50 – 100 yards down from the T junction where Eastfied Road joins Hitcham Road.

I think the premises may subsequently have been used as a launderette.

Re:  Having Death certificate.
No not yet.
Does anybody know of the most expedient way  of obtaining one from abroad (low cost, not express but normal postage) without the use of a bankers card or cheque book?
Hello,

In your other thread you have given a few more details which will save people searching unnecessarily.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=591700.msg4423647;topicseen

In that one you say he was a Turf Accountant/representative but here you are asking what he did  :-\
I can see that it is quite complicated.

regards
heywood

Hi Heywood

Thank you for supplying the link.

When I asked 'what he did' I was referring to Ramsay's father who I know only the bare minimum about.  I was told that he was a miner or from a mining family. I am curious as to how, and when, a miner (or son of a miner) gets to be a turf accountant and when the family got to Slough.

Although I already know, or believe I know, certain things about my father, I am sure that there is heaps that I do not. As I have indicated previously, my progress in this matter is hindered by my present inability to obtain a death certificate, although this does not stop me from attempting other methods of trying to find out more.

I have found another link that may pertain to my father, http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1943/1943%20-%202552.html
I think that the  Fit. Sgt. R. Marsh (sic) mentioned could be my father.
How can I be certain?
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Usefulness of info on Death certs?
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 May 12 23:21 BST (UK) »
Re http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=592860.msg4433728#msg4433728

I am now in possession of Ramsey Marsh's Death certificate.
His occupation is/was described as Chauffeur and he was living at 345a Finchley Rd London NW 3.

On the death certificate the informants name and address is given. If I was able to make contact with the informant, would he be likely to give me any details of the circumstances of the death, or, would the informant simply be somebody like an undertaker? 
Green, Stoke Poges
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Usefulness of info on Death certs?
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 May 12 23:57 BST (UK) »
The death cert should tell you the relationship of the informant to the deceased.  Highly unlikely that an undertaker would be the informant.

The death cert should show the cause of death so unless the circumstances are unusual - there is probably little to add

For continuity purposes - this should really be on your main thread so I will ask the moderator to merge it
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 May 12 00:01 BST (UK) »
quote author=bishenbertie link=topic=592860.msg4433753#msg4433753 date=1334621653]
Looking at your previous thread looking for divorce information if it was in the local papers they would be:-

the slough observer or the slough, windsor and eton express

I believe all copies of the newspapers are now held at slough library archives
\#

Thanks for your thoughts bishenberti

Just to let you know that I was able to search through past copies of the Slough, Windsor and Eton Express during a visit that I made to the Windsor Library earlier this year.

I was not able to find anything that referred to his divorce case although I was able to find that his affair with local residents over noise at some greyhound training kennels was covered by Associated Press  and a version of the story was covered in various papers around the world!

I find it rather curious that Fenton Bressler should be aware of his situation as he describes it in his book You and The Law. He was a lawyer and a journalist. I think that  either he knew of the case through personal contacts or he read about it somewhere. If it was the latter, how can I try to find out where?

Green, Stoke Poges
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 June 21 22:04 BST (UK) »
I am in the process of trying to find out the life history of Ramsay Marsh who was  born in Durham on December 30th 1923 died 1985. I think he lived in Crook Billy Row and that his father's name was Elias.

I wonder if anybody can help me determining in when he moved to Slough where he lived at William Street, also if there is any method of finding out where he was educated.

Here is a picture of him on the left. I think it may have been taken in Slough after the war.
His father who was christened Elias but used an alias 'Fred' and  is the man on the far right of the group.
I wonder if anybody can help me determining what he did throughout his life
One man (the shorter) is just called Billy (Marsh?).
I have no idea who they can be.
How can I fnd out about them.

Persistence. It was Billy Leed. The Marker Upper.

The picture was taken at Brighton Races in 1947.
Green, Stoke Poges
Wilson (Eton)
Wise