Author Topic: Can't find any records for Daniel Dwyer.  (Read 1045 times)

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can't find any records for Daniel Dwyer.
« on: Sunday 13 May 12 02:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all.
I'm going round in circles with this one so hoping someone can point me in a new direction.
I have Daniel Dwyer b. Dublin 1850 d.Wales 1892.
He has a daughter in born in Dublin in 1876
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/3ea4a60254048
On the Welsh census of 1891 he says he is a Colour Sergeant in the Duke of Cornwall 2nd Light Infantry.
The record of the child (Mary Ellen) born in Dublin is also recorded an a British Armed Forces overseas birth.(32nd Foot which I believe is correct prior to 1881) He has several other children born Dublin, Belfast, Kent and Malta all recorded as overseas Army births.
So, how come I can find ZERO records of his army career anywhere. I bought some credits on Findmypast and couldn't find anything on him and Ancestry shows nothing. A search on the National Archives has nothing either !
Where else should I be looking - there must be something somewhere on him.
Any suggestions on how I can move forward are very, very welcome.
thanks

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find any records for Daniel Dwyer.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 May 12 08:15 BST (UK) »
As your man is a soldier in 1891 and died in 1892, I'd guess he was still a soldier when he died. (Do you have his death certificate?)
The records of men who died while still serving were routinely destroyed until the early 1900s, so this is probably why you can't find anything. FindMyPast really should explain this on their site!

You mention children born in Dublin, Belfast, Kent and Malta. Are you aware that the other Daniel Dwyer with 2/DCLI in 1891 (the 16yo Bugler born at Cape Town) is also a son of "your" Daniel Dwyer?
His army record is on Ancestry in 3 batches. One batch even includes a note from his father: "I, Color Sergeant D.Dwyer 2nd Battn Duke of Cornwall's L Infty Sanction the enlistment of my son Daniel Dwyer for the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry", signed at Newport, Monmouthshire, 13 May 1890.
Daniel junior served with the DCLI from 1890 to 92, then reenlisted in the Welsh Regiment, serving with the Colours 1896-1904 and in the Reserve until 1908. He then enlisted again in 1914, rising to Company Serjeant Major in the Welsh Regt, before transferring to the Chinese Labour Corps in France in 1917. Discharged 1919. Details of his marriage and children are also listed.

Adrian

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 May 12 09:29 BST (UK) »
Well the 32nd became 1/DCLI while it was the 46th that became 2/DCLI.
So it appears that he was in the 32nd and 1/DCLI, transferring at some point to the 2nd battalion.

I've had a look at the medal roll for 2/DCLI for Egypt/Sudan 1882-85 and he's not listed which suggests he was still with the 1st Batn.

1/DCLI:
1865-66 Gibraltar
1866-67 Mauritius
1867-77 South Africa
1877-79 England
1879-80 Jersey
1880-83 England
1883-85 Ireland
1885-88 Malta
1888-1900 India/Burma

2/DCLI:
-1869 India
1869-73 England
1873-76 Ireland
1876-80 Bermuda
1880-82 Gibraltar
1882-86 Egypt/Sudan
1886-91 England
1891-    Ireland
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 May 12 17:19 BST (UK) »
Wow. I have been reading through Daniel (the son) army records. Just amazing. No - I hadn't found him before. Thanks Adrian for finding those. He actually has a couple of nieces in Dublin who have never even heard of their South African uncle let alone his army career.

I was very confused with the Father Daniel saying he was 2/DCLI when everything else was pointing to him being 1/DCLI. The child born Malta in 1887 and I didn't mention before but his wife in the 1901 and 1911 census, says she is born in Cape Town so that fits with him being in South Africa 1867 - 77 with the 1st.

I'm gathering he transfers to the 2nd after leaving Malta in 1888 (thanks for the hand chart neil1821 - my education on British army regiments began yesterday!)
I do need to get Daniel the Father's 1892 death cert, it was registered in Swansea. (should he not be in Ireland in 1892?)
1 question. Would his records still have been destroyed if he had been discharged prior to his death ?  I have a last child born to him in Swansea in 1891 who does not appear to be an Army birth.
I'm very interested to find out more about the South African wife
and can't think how without finding more on him. Grabbing at straws here I think.
Thanks so much for your help on this - he had 4 sons in total so I shall continue to see if any of the others joined up also.
cheers :)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 May 12 06:42 BST (UK) »
I was very confused with the Father Daniel saying he was 2/DCLI when everything else was pointing to him being 1/DCLI.

Men belonged to a regiment and not to individual battalions. So once the 32nd and 46th Regiments had merged, men could be transferred between them as circumstances dictated. They could also be allocated to the Depot in Bodmin.

Ken

Offline georgebennett1934

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 June 20 12:41 BST (UK) »

Dear Hasta,
I have further information on Daniel Dwyer who was my great grandfather, on my mothers side. Are you still looking for information in regards to him? If so I would be happy to discuss further.

Thanks
George.