Author Topic: Lookup help please - McDonnell/Kelly wedding in Mayo area  (Read 4715 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup help please - McDonnell/Kelly wedding in Mayo area
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 May 12 20:14 BST (UK) »
Alick McDonnell and Mary Canon's daughter Mary is on this attached list for Ballintober Church

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~deesegenes/b70.htm

Tara

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 May 12 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hello,

There is a 1899 possible marriage in Castlereagh here
where Alick M'Donnell and Ellen Kelly are on the same page.

(search for Ellen Kelly 1899 Castlereagh for the corresponding details)

Certificate can be obtained from http://www.groireland.ie/ and hopefully you would get more details re Ellen from that.

regards
heywood

Would this be Castlereagh in county Down or is this a misspelling of Castlerea in Roscommon? The latter I would think?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 May 12 22:28 BST (UK) »
Castlereagh is the name of the Poor Law Union/Registration District in Co. Roscommon/Co. Mayo (not the place in Co. Down). See http://www.thecore.com/seanruad to find details of townland, etc. in Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline DavidTaylor

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 May 12 22:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification. I am finding all these towns, parishes, villages, districts etc etc very confusing. Many more than the ones I come across for my family in England.

What's the best way to search for name and the derivations on sites like familysearch or Ancestry.com? I thought I was slick when searching for Alexander McDonnell with all versions of McDonnell, using asterisks like McD* ect but never in a million years would have found ALICK M'DONNELL??? as many of you did so easily.
 ???

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 May 12 22:59 BST (UK) »
Family Search and Ancestry will both give variations of Christian names and surnames.

The new Family Search site is probably best used starting with minimal details and gradually narrowing down the search. For example, search for Alexander McDonnell or M'Donnell. Then, using the filters on left, select date range 1800, etc.

To find children in extracted Irish births on LDS site select 'parents' put in ONLY parents' names and check results. Then, do search again after removing mother's surname, etc. to find all possibilities.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline duffyfarrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 April 18 23:45 BST (UK) »
Just following as there are some nice links between the McDonnell's of Moorehall Co Mayo and the Kellys of Roscommon, and when I get that far I can find this page again lol
McDonnell Mayo
Duffy         Longford
Kelly          Roscommon
Coffee        Manchester
O'Connor   Dublin/ USA/Canada/Australia
Carthy       Drogheda
Mc Carthy  Dublin

Offline marrsnuh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 February 19 19:08 GMT (UK) »
My goal is to actually trace the matrilineal line of Ellen Kelly as far back as possible because there is an old family legend that one of the women in the line, not too far back was either Jewish or Romanichal and I want to see what I can find.

In case you haven't found her parents, Ellen's parents were Patrick Kelly and Bridget King. They lived in Corlis in Co. Roscommon. These are her parents in 1901: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Roscommon/Baslick/Corlis/1665775/

Patrick's parents were Patrick Kelly and Marsella Neary. This is their headstone on Find a Grave in Baslick cemetery: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/132400560/patrick-kelly

Alexander and Ellen married on 13th Feb 1899 in Tulsk. Alexander's address was recorded as Ballyglass which isn't too far from Moorehall. All the parents names were recorded on the church marriage record. Do you have any information on Ellen or her family? It's possible that there's a connection to Kellys in Corlis but it's unconfirmed.

Edit: Never mind, I see that you have the information on another forum.