Author Topic: Berkshire Wills  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Massinissa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Berkshire Wills
« on: Sunday 13 May 12 13:15 BST (UK) »
I have a 1646 PCC will of an Edward Tomkins, yeoman of Abingdon, which mentions that his daughter is to get the ten pounds left in her grandfather's will. There is no PCC will which qualifies for this second will, so I figure it must be a local will. Any guidance as to how I can find out if there is a pre-1646 local will of a Tomkins in or around Abingdon? Thanks all.

God bless

John Paul
Canada

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Berkshire Wills
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 May 12 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi John Paul

As you are in Canada this might not be of any help to you but the Berkshire Record Office have just released an Index to the Archdeaconry of Berkshire Probate Collection 1480-1857 on CD at a cost of £25

It appears you can buy it online from the Berkshire Family History Society.

Its only an index so I don't know how much info it will contain but would think it will give you the necessary references you will need to obtain a copy of the will from the Berkshire Record Office
Seeking baptism for Thomas Peter Nugent c1802-10 and Charles James Nugent c 1805-10 somewhere/anywhere in London
NUGENT Westminster Bermondsey Walthamstow
COLLIER & OWEN Bermondsey
HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire
GROVER Burghfield Berkshire
HALL Buckinghamshire Walthamstow Norfolk
Mary Ellen/Ellen Mary ARCHER c 1875 Derby????

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 May 12 14:17 BST (UK) »
Forgot to mention that the Berkshire Record Office do have their own Face Book page on which you can ask questions, although I am uncertain if they will be able to deal with queries about individuals but they may be able to tell you some further details about their holdings of early wills.
Seeking baptism for Thomas Peter Nugent c1802-10 and Charles James Nugent c 1805-10 somewhere/anywhere in London
NUGENT Westminster Bermondsey Walthamstow
COLLIER & OWEN Bermondsey
HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire
GROVER Burghfield Berkshire
HALL Buckinghamshire Walthamstow Norfolk
Mary Ellen/Ellen Mary ARCHER c 1875 Derby????

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 May 12 16:04 BST (UK) »
As Abingdon is now in Oxfordshire you will find that the wills have been transcribed by Oxfordshire FHS and are available from them and may actually be online at:

http://wills.oxfordshirefhs.org.uk/
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 May 12 12:27 BST (UK) »
As the archdeaconry of Berkshire used to come under the diocese of Sarum, a lot of Berkshire wills are held by Wiltshire RO and they have been putting them online.  It's an ongoing project so it pays to keep checking back for anything of interest.  If you're lucky and find a will you're looking for, you can download scans of the original doc for £5.

http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/heritage/

I think the will transcriptions on the OFHS site are only a selection that have been submitted by members.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 May 12 15:25 BST (UK) »
The Berkshire Archdeaconry Probate Records were compiled by Berkshire Record Society in conjunction with Berkshire Record Office and Berkshire FHS and is now available on CD from Berkshire FHS

It was originally being issued in book form and I have the first book (1480-1652)

I wonder if this is relevant:-

TOMPKINS Edward, Abingdon St Helen,clerk,snr, W (nunc)
Inv,1638.127/131

There is also this one

TOMPKINS Richard,Abingdon St Nicholas,W (nunc)Inv,Adm,1588. 126/153;11/280;11/157

If you e-mail Berkshire RO with the full reference number they will usually give a quote as to cost for copies