Author Topic: Charles Stewart Brady and family - Toronto search goes on  (Read 12138 times)

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Charles Stewart Brady and family - Toronto search goes on
« on: Sunday 13 May 12 15:34 BST (UK) »
Background

Charles Brady senior emigated from Ireland to Canada - probably 1900-1910. We have details of his life in Ireland.

He married Mildred Equi and had at least two children -
 ... daughter DDD may be alive - she married? and had family
... son Charles S 1920-2000 .. we have records of his internment in Ireland after a plane crash in WWII, his decoration, etc

On the internet, I found a photo of a Grave in Toronto
.. Charles Senior, Mildred, Toni??? (not the daughter's name as far as I know) buried at sea 1993, Charles Junior buried at sea 2000.

Questions!!

... I haven't found Charles Sen on 1901 Census Canada (probably hadn't yet emigrated) or on 1911
... I haven't found military records for him - the family in Ireland said that he fought in WWI
... when did Mildred and Charles Sen marry?
... who is Toni? (wife of Charles Jun?)
... why were they buried at sea? .. would this be in a newspaper?

I realise that one can't access Canadian BMDs until a certain time has elapsed.
I live in Ireland so can't wade through newspapers easily.

Any good suggestions out there?

regards eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline LindaGW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help - Charles Stewart Brady and family - Toronto
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 May 12 15:56 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to Charles Sr.'s military attestation papers for WWI in the Canadian Expeditionary Force:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0me1/
He is living in Brooklyn, NY at the time (12 Feb 1916) and lists his next of kin as a sister Mary in Dublin.  The latter fact suggests that he may not yet have married.

Offline LindaGW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 May 12 16:12 BST (UK) »
Death Registration for Charles Stewart Brady, from Ontario, Canada Deaths 1869-1938 on Ancestry:

County of York
Township of York
Residence      175 Glencairn Ave W.
Toronto Ontario
Name of Deceased     Brady, Charles Stewart
Male
Irish
Married
Age       54
Father       Michael Brady, Ireland
Mother                    Mary Begg (or Mary Becc), Ireland
Informant    Mrs. Mildred E. Brady
      175 Glencairn Ave
      Wife
Date of Death   October 6 1936

Cause of Death   Pycloniphitris (not sure if I have transcribed this correctly) 5 mos.
Contributory Cause   Spinal Cord tumor (duration 1 yr. 6 mos.)
Operations to remove tumor  on May 3 and May 26, 1936.
Signed       Wm. W. Priddle, MD  Oct 6 1936

Place of Burial   Necropolis Cemetery 
Date of Burial   Oct 8 1936
Undertaker   R.W. Miles
Address                  30 St. Clair Ave. W.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 May 12 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I see the photo of the gravestone on the FindAGrave site. 

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0me3/

There is a paid site called pagesofthepast that allows you to access the Toronto Star newspaper archives. 

http://pagesofthepast.ca/

It is not very expensive...

I see the obituary for Charles Sr in the Wed Oct 7th, 1936 edition, page 30.  It says he died on the 6th, gives his address as the one Linda found, mentions his wife Mildred Equi and his 2 children.  They are Charles Stewart Brady and a daughter D V.  I won't mention her full name here, as you think she may still be alive.  The Requiem Mass was at the Blessed Sacrament and he was buried in the Necropolis. 

http://www.blessedsacramenttoronto.ca/history.php

RK

Offline LindaGW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 May 12 17:06 BST (UK) »
Mildred Equi appears on the 1901 Canada Census, living in Toronto Centre with her parents, her paternal grandfather and her younger brother.
She is six years old, born Mar 22, 1895.  Her father, William J. Equi, of Italian origin, was born in Ontario 15 Sept 1864 and her mother Vic Ella, of English origin, was born in Indiana 16 Jun 1866.  No birthplace for Mildred is given.
You can view the census here:
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=104551&highlight=26   

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 May 12 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, 

I was just going through the TOronto Star - and I am not having too much luck :P

I found Mildred's mother's obituary.  I see that Linda has just posted her name too... :)  She is Vie Ella Equi.  She died April 21 1955.  Obit is in the paper on April 22, page 40.   It is hard to read, but Mildred's last name is Ilseley?? now.  This may explain why I didn't find her obit in 1983.  Vie's obit mentions her grandchildren Charles Stewart Brady and D V Robertson.   Vie is in the Necropolis too.  FindAGrave has a photo.  The stone looks like the Brady's - I wonder if they are on the other side??

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 May 12 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Not much luck finding Bradys in the paper, but I found Mildred's father's obit.  It is MUCH easier to read than Vie's obit.  William John Equi died Dec 3 1948 - obit in the Dec 6th edition of the paper, page 28.  It mentions his wife Vie Ella Birch and his daughter Mildred Ilsley (Mrs. I. Ilsley).  Vie's obit spelled it with the second "e".  So, Mildred married again...  to a Mr I (no full name given here) Ilsley/Ilseley, prior to 1948.

Grandchildren are mentioned aswell - Charles Stewart Brady and Mrs D Robertson (her own initial is D too).  Full names of the granddaughter and her husband are given, but as you think they may be living, I have put the initials. 

RK

RK

Offline LindaGW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 May 12 17:59 BST (UK) »
I notice that on the findagrave gravestone photo it says that Mildred Equi Brady (1895-1983) was buried in England.  I wonder if she also died there.

Linda

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 May 12 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

That sounds like a good possibility Linda.  If Mildred was born in Canada (or at least grew up here) and her parents and first husband are buried here, it would only make sense for her to be buried in England if she died there.  I can't find any obit for her in the Toronto papers.  Perhaps she and her second husband moved to England at some point?? 

The last name is Ilsley.  I tried to find a marriage notice, so I checked the social/weddings section between 1936 and 1948.  I didn't find Mildred's wedding, but I found an announcement of a shower given by Mrs. I Ilsley and Mrs G T Alexander for a Miss Anne Brown.  One of the guests was Mrs W J Equi.  The notice is in the Aug 19th 1943 edition, so Mildren had remarried before then.   

RK