Author Topic: Placename help  (Read 20314 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Placename help
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 06 April 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
My friends have been out and about in the car and doing some asking around and it doesn't look like we are going to get any closer.
Best they can do is Durmhurling is a placename in the area of the Bridge, that wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't on the border of 3 townlands.
As there are McDonnells living in Clondalever I think your next step is to get a look at the Land Books for that townland at the Valuation Office http://www.valoff.ie/research.htm
Note on the Land Books I have the name McDonnell starts out as McDaniel in 1854 and doesn't change to McDonnell until 1887.
If we are correct this could at least put to rest once and for all where James lived and possibly if the land was always McDonnells or a McDonnell married into it.
If you go to the trouble of getting Clondalever that why not have a look at Taughmon as well.
Good Luck.

Something you said earlier about a photograph, is it this one

Offline pmcdonnell61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 07 April 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Sinann

Thanks a million for all your help and yes that photo was the same one I have.
im not familiar with the land Books but I will have a look

Again thanks Patrick

Offline sarahmocat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am interested in the McDonnell and Mckeon family that you mention.
I have found a Daniel Mckeon (born late 1840's) he lived in Tuitestown for much of his life but died in Clondalever in 1898. He was killed in an affray. I have found newspaper articles about his killing and a Margaret McDonnell, Daniel's niece, is mentioned as a witness. She lived in Foxburrow. The article also stated that Daniel lived at Drumhurlin Bridge.
I had found the birth of Margaret - daughter of James McDonnell/McDonald and Anne McKeon - and wondered if this was Daniel's niece. The 1901 census shows Margaret as a domestic servant living in Foxburrow (name spelled at McDonnall).
I know that Daniel married Anne McCormick (or McCormack) in 1873 but have only found the parish record of this marriage, not the civil registration which would tell me Daniel's father's name. I did find a possible baptism in 1847 at Collinstown, son of John McKeon and Margaret Devitt....
I notice that the marriage registration of James McDonnell and Anne McKeon shows Anne's father as a John Mckeon... But I was not able to find a baptism for Anne McKeon which would prove the link.

I wonder if you have done any more research into the McKeon family and whether you have found anything to prove that Daniel and Anne were siblings?
If I can prove that they were siblings then I'll know I've got the right set of parents for Daniel which will take me back another generation.