Author Topic: Hugo Flecker 1884 -1957 Prahran/Cairns  (Read 8480 times)

Offline Xristo Pretaniou

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Hugo Flecker 1884 -1957 Prahran/Cairns
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 October 15 15:58 BST (UK) »
I knew George generally known as Colin (GC Flecker) in Adelaide. His parents were the Langdon Fleckers. He lived at 85 Narinna Ave, Cumberland Park and sold that house to a developer and bought the house across the road 86 Narinna Avenue. He never married, was a devout catholic and I met him through children that he helped of orphan or poor parents. The Robinson and Kiernan children went to Largs Bay orphanage and  the boys went on to Boystown run by Salesian Brothers in Brooklyn Park, later called Salesian College. The Robinson kids had parents but they were a large family and it was too much the mother who suffered some nervous disorder. Colin was a wonderful human being, he provide extra funds for the families and took the kids on weekend outings to parks, events, museums etc. He was an electrical engineer worked at Weapons Research in Salisbury where he retired from. He served in the Army as a major in the Royal Australian Engineers  for some years. He was honorably discharged suffering from chronic "melancholia" after losing his cool about someone hooking up telephone and 240 volt lines across tent poles in a camp. Colin was very serious about safety. He had a very high IQ for technical applications and encouraged education to his charges. He died in the nineties I think, unfortunately he suffered dementure. He had a cousin nearby in Cumberland Park, I think it was Alice O'Brien or Flecker.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 07:04 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat :)

I knew George generally known as Colin (GC Flecker) in Adelaide. His parents were the Langdon Fleckers

George FLECKER and Emma ZIFFER's eldest and youngest sons married LANGDON sisters born Warragul, Vic..

Thank you for your information about Colin.  Briefly... he was born 23 Dec 1918 in Victoria, educated at Xavier College and held a Bachelor of Electrical Engineering from Melbourne University.  I understood he died in 1996.  His father died a few months after his birth and his only brother was killed in WW2 in New Guinea.  His mother died at Cumberland Park SA in 1963.

His cousin Alice Olive O'BRIEN nee FLECKER died in 2007.

Cheers  :D
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike Mack D

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 January 18 23:17 GMT (UK) »
When I was a boy – and I am now over 70 – I used to look through a trunk of old family photographs. Over the past few months I have finally got down to working out who is who in them.
Many of them – not all – had the names of those photographed written on the back of the photo. These included three of the Fleckers. Yet from my family tree researches they didn’t seem to be related at all.

Last night, after over 50 years, I finally found out why the Fleckers were there. My grandmother, born Alice Hill, used to tell me that she learned the hotel business when she was employed at the South Australian Hotel. She said that the wife of the owner took her under her wing and taught her the trade. She may have told me sometime that they hotel was owned by the Fleckers, but I do not recall ever associating the name “Flecker” with that name until last night.

So the pieces now fall into place. Grandma’s father was W.P. Hill, who arrived in Australia from England in 1866, and set up a (horse-drawn) taxi service between Adelaide and North Adelaide. He later went bush, but returned to Adelaide in 1885 to set up an abattoir at Knoxville. That was in 1885, the same year as the Fleckers bought the South Australian.

As that abattoir grew to supply half of Adelaide’s need for meat, it’s likely that he supplied the South Australian, and it was that connection that resulted in grandma being employed there from the age of about 16, that is, 1888.

Much later, the son of one of grandma’s brothers invented an Australian icon, the Hills Hoist.

While I do not recall ever meeting any of the Fleckers, there are photos of them here indicate that they must have remained close for several years. The main one is one of the Flecker family, with “Mr and Mrs Flecker, Oscar, Rudy, Hugo, Martha (Mrs Dr Arnold) and Victor" written on the back. The other two are one of Alice Olive aged just 17 days, pasted next to one of her Flecker grandmother.

Do you have them? If not, would you like me to send them?

Yours,

Dr Mike McDermott

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 January 18 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike :)

Welcome to rootschat. :)

I would appreciate a copy of the photographs however you will need to make two more posts for the Private Message system to be used.

I will pm my email address to you and perhaps you could simply post two further posts on the board with a short message.  My father's sister married into the FLECKER family.  If you search on TROVE or google George FLECKER or the South Australian Hotel you will find lots of information about him.  Dr Hugo FLECKER his son, was a radiologist and naturalist and his son Dr Patrick FLECKER was a GP in Qld.

Many thanks
Cando

Offline Mike Mack D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 January 18 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Dear Cando.

Here is the first of the two short messages.

Offline Mike Mack D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 January 18 19:55 GMT (UK) »
And here is the second.

Offline Mike Mack D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 January 18 19:57 GMT (UK) »
I look forward to your private message. All the Best,

Mike

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 January 18 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Mike click onto MY MESSAGES at the top of the page and you will see my message which I sent yesterday.