Author Topic: Re: Hartley, Clara and George  (Read 4420 times)

Offline sadieh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hartley, Clara and George
« on: Friday 06 May 05 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hello,
 I'm a little desperate after 2 years of research and brick walls. The NSW BDM deaths finishes at 1945 and I think that may be a part of the problem.

I'm trying to determine one way or another if a Clara Louisa (or Louise) Hartley nee Nicholson b: 1864 Melbourne and/or her husband George Henry Hartley b: 1854 Haworth UK, married Bradford UK 6th July 1893 came to Australia, probably Melbourne or Sydney after their wedding or honeymoon. They aren't on the 1901 UK Census. They seem to have vanished into thin air. The only possible lead I have and I don't know how to follow it up is a listing on the Ellis Island Passenger List for 6th July 1920 for a Louisa Hartley, age 55yrs 11mths, widow from Blackburn UK. I have no leads to date re her living in Blackburn, however there are other members of her fathers family in that area and her age is correct.

Her father was James Charles Wilson Nicholson, from the Nicholson Organ Building family UK and they were all over the UK. James came to Melbourne in 1859 with his new wife and built the Nicholson & Co Music Importing and Publishing empire. So money and world travel were usual for this family.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sadieh.