Author Topic: Nifty1 Scavenger Hunt.... Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 31168 times)

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nifty1 Scavenger Hunt.... Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 17 May 12 02:32 BST (UK) »
Re Father haveing a brother

I have always been under the imressionthat he was an only child. It is unfortunate if so because there seems to be no one that I can ask about what he was like. It struck me that it may be I might find decendants of his father's brothers who I think would be my second cousins.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline vronlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 17 May 12 15:06 BST (UK) »
i did see the other marsh birth in auckland but given the long time difference i thought it unlikely but you never know. the only way to be sure would be to buy the birth cert. likewise the only way to be sure about lily brown would be to buy the marriage cert giving age, fathers name and occupation etc.

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 May 12 03:03 BST (UK) »
I would like to thank everybody who has so far contributed to this thread. I have consolidated the information gained from it and would like to see if I can glean any more information before the thread  becomes too cold.

In 1944 (or before)the late  Ramsay Marsh, son of Elias and Lily, met a girl in Canada and married her there in 1945. She died a few years ago but it is not my intention to look into her background but rather to look to see what I can find of my late mother's (Thelma E. E. Kirtland b 1928) family. So far I have got basic details as follows:

According to the Slough Windsor an Eton Express she married my father at Windsor Methodist church at Windsor on Sunday 2 6 1952. I know that the wedding reception was held at The Swan P.H. in Clewer near Windsor. The paper says that the Best Man at the wedding was Mr. A. G. Morton-Fuller, who I suspect, may have been an American or Canadian air force Flight Sergeant.  How can I find out about him?

My mother's  father (Leonard Ralph Kirtland) was born at Clewer, Berkshire in 1885. He died at Windsor hospital of TB in 1956.
His wife Ethel Elizabeth Nee Green was born at Winkfield Berkshire in Dec. 1889 and died at   Winkfield in 1967 having spent all of her life in and around Windsor. Apparently she delivered milk from a horse and cart there when she was about 14.

Her mother or other relations may be mentioned in this passage from The Windsor and Eton Express 28th January 1837

Windsor Police

On Thursday four men, named Richard Green, George Green, John Wilson, and John Raygon; were bought before the Magistrates, charged with stealing two coppers, the property of Mr.Bedborough, from some of his houses in South-place. The coppers were stolen on Monday night, and from some circumstances of strong suspicion against the prisoners they were apprehended on Tuesday. Upon these circumstances being stated, the prisoners were remanded for further examination on Monday next. From some private information which was obtained, Captain Thomson, after the men had been remanded, granted a search warrant to Copas, the Clewer Constable, who proceeded to the premises of an old woman, named Green, a relative of two of the prisoners, residing in Clewer fields, and succeeded in discovering the two stolen coppers buried in the garden attached to her house. On Monday the property will be forthcoming , and the old woman herself will be brought forward.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dutillieul/ZWindsorEtonExpress/28thJanuary1837.html

I should like to find a posotive or negative linkage. Any help much appreciated.

I should also like to be able to know more about Leonard's  family who were:

Percy b.1896
George Henery (sp?) b. 1895
Eva 1893
Walley 1880
Ernest b. 1876
George b. 1874
Ada b.1873
An uncle told me that his aunt Ada used run tea rooms or a tea shop in Eton Hight Street 'about 5 doors down from Windsor bridge'.
How can I find out more?
Thomas James b.1872 Baptised at Clewer.
The same uncle told me that Thomas used to own a lot of property in Windsor 'about ten or twenty houses'. Including some pubs. I know for a fact that he had The Coach and Horses in Oxford Road Windsor and that in the pub was still being run by Mrs Lucy Kirtland  before it was demolished in 1967. http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/windsor/windsorhistory/Oxford%20Road/1950-1965%20OxfordRoad.html
I am not sure if this Lucy was the wife or daughter of Thomas and really would most welcome further information on him. My uncle described him as 'a most interesting character, lets just say that you would not want to be on the wrong side of him' Unfortunately, I am not in possession of the picture of his uncle that in itself tells just that story. Apparently Tommy moved to London and opened pubs or clubs there.

The passage below from  http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/pubs/windsorpubs.html gives one of the flavour of Windsor before it was gentrified.
'It seems that in 1836, a Mr John Gibbs, landlord of The Coach and Horses public house, was prosecuted for 'running a disorderly house'. This establishment does not appear to get a mention ten years later. George Street also appears to get a regular mention in the Magistrates Courts transcripts. The Spread Eagle, The Rose and Crown, The Blue Anchor and The Prince George as well as a brothel and beer shop known as Wheelers get regular mentions. In 1849, The Spread Eagle's licence was transferred to The Bachelors Arms in Victoria Street, just prior to George Street's demolition. In Clewer Fields, William Austin's beer shop was the home to five girls who provided the census taker with enough information to indicate their profession was prostitution. Many were known only by their nicknames such as Fat Ellen, Black Hannah, Wraysbury Hannah, Biddy, Snook, Spital Bounce or the Sergeant Major. I have strayed off the point of this work but it is of note in order to capture these times in the history of Windsor'.

Any more relevant information please?

Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 13:47 BST (UK) »
Do you have Leonard and Ethel's marriage cert? (dec qtr 1914, Maidenhead 2c 1034)  If so, does it give Ethel's father's name?

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 14:00 BST (UK) »
Having difficulty find the right Ethel on the censuses - there is an Ethel Green in Clewer on the 1911 census, but she was not born in Winkfield.

Also there seems to be a bit of a mystery with the parents of the 1911 Ethel.  WIll carry on digging!

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 14:06 BST (UK) »
Ok, something odd going on (if you have looked at the 1911 census entry, you will know why I picked up on this marriage!).

In 1904, at the parish church of Emmanuel in Paddington, Richard Redrup (38, bachelor) married Mary Ethel Tomkins (38, widow). 

Both residing at 89 Watterton Road

Groom's father was Thomas Redrup, baker, deceased
Bride's father was George James Russel, farmer, deceased

Witnesses: Michael Mark Coleman and Ethel Elizabeth Green  :-\

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 14:16 BST (UK) »
Possible for 1891 census:
18 Brittania Place, Battersea

Henry Green  Head  Mar  27  Horse keeper  bn Shrops, Oswestry
Mary Ethel Green  Wife  Mar  26  bn Berks, Windsor
Elizabeth Ethel Green  Dau  1  bn Berks, SLough
Elizabeth Russell  mother in law  wid  62  Living on own means  bn Berks Windsor
Albert Harry Russell  son in law  single  28  carman  bn Berks, Windsor
RG12; Piece: 435; Folio: 83; Page: 28

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 15:13 BST (UK) »
Henry Green married Mary Ethel Russell in Mar qtr 1889 Windsor 2c 579

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 15:32 BST (UK) »
It looks as if the marriage to Richard Redrup was bigamous - certainly on his side becase I think that he was married already to an Ada, who doesn't appear to die until 1940!

There is a marriage between Mary Ethel Green and Austin Herbert Tomkins in Wolverhampton 1900, and a death of Austin Herbert Tomkins in Windsor in 1904 (2c 314)

Edited to amend spelling