Author Topic: Nifty1 Scavenger Hunt.... Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 31265 times)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Nifty1 Scavenger Hunt.... Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #63 on: Monday 31 December 12 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I do apologise - don't think I was very awake this morning as I read 'Ethel' on your post as 'Edith' (hence my rather pointless post!!  :()

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Could anybody please shed any light on who the parents of the Sam Kirtland mentioned in this post were?
http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=766&Itemid=210.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 17:50 GMT (UK) »
In Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 May 12 02:08 BST (UK) »  Annette said

PS Did your father have a brother?   I note another Marsh was born Mar.1936 whose mothers maiden name was Brown (can't post full name as could still be living) and as the only Marsh/Brown marriage in Auckland was Elias/Lily wondered if this was another child (13 years between he and your father). 

Well I have recently heard from an uncle that maybe Ramsey did have a brother.

I have 'met' another cousin through another forum who is the daughter of the lady whose full name could not be mentioned because 'she could be living'. As things turned out she was. She died the week before I made contact. She was the only person who could have told anything about when my great grandfather walked to London from Durham around the time of the Jarrow Marches (not listed). That is the reason he came south and stayed. It is a shame that I wasn't able to catch her because the story of this man and his son should be told. I intend to tell it, warts and all.

If anybody else should have any details that they find online but can not post them because of forum rules please PM them to me.
Best wishes.
Green, Stoke Poges
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 01 August 13 14:22 BST (UK) »
Spidermonkey re Reply #24 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 14:16 BST (UK) »

I have come across a bit of a problem and would like the comments of others as to possibilities

I an trying to identify the parents of a lady who, according to her late daughter, was born Ethel Elizabeth Green on Dec 7th 1889, Married L. Kirtland at Maidenhead in 1914 and died at Winkfield in 1967.

In the 1891 census there is a William (42, general dealer shop) and Elizabeth Green( 37)  living at 28 Oxford Rd. Windsor. Living with them are Emma (15, daughter) and William Blake (10, son) also Maude Green  (1, daughter). All born at New Windsor.

I think this is as close a match as I can find. Why should there be a discrepancy in the names though? Both of the census Spidermonkey cites and the one above ring bells of recognition.
Green, Stoke Poges
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 01 August 13 15:03 BST (UK) »
This is the info from post #24 brought forward:

Possible for 1891 census:
18 Brittania Place, Battersea

Henry Green  Head  Mar  27  Horse keeper  bn Shrops, Oswestry
Mary Ethel Green  Wife  Mar  26  bn Berks, Windsor
Elizabeth Ethel Green  Dau  1  bn Berks, SLough
Elizabeth Russell  mother in law  wid  62  Living on own means  bn Berks Windsor
Albert Harry Russell  son in law  single  28  carman  bn Berks, Windsor
RG12; Piece: 435; Folio: 83; Page: 28

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 01 August 13 15:11 BST (UK) »
I think you might have to bite the bullet and buy her marriage cert - presumably you are certain of the Green/Kirtland marriage, whereas her birth might be more ambiguous.  At least with the marriage cert you will get her father's name, and the two possible sightings of EEG have different fathers.

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 01 August 13 18:12 BST (UK) »
I think you might have to bite the bullet and buy her marriage cert -

What! ;) and spoil my fun
I am using a resource provided by Slough library http://www.sloughhistoryonline.org.uk/ixbin/hixclient.exe?a=file&p=slough&f=generic_advancedsearch.htm and with the help of Roots Chatters I am having a great time gradually working things out. (How sad is that)
I'll post more here as I become more sure of what I think are the facts.

When one considers that the man that my Green was to marry was at one time only living a few doors from him, the chance aspect of her being the one that married Kirtland  seem somewhat skewed in one's favour.

Green, Stoke Poges
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 07:41 BST (UK) »
I hope  to visit the National Archive in the next week or so. I have few firm references from the archive's online site  that I wish to examine but want to take full advantage of the time that I shall be there to see what I can find about other members of my family shown previously in this thread -

'and the eldest elias in 1841
MARSH, Elias 45      sail cloth weaver
MARSH, Sarah 40   
MARSH, Joseph 18   
MARSH, Elizabeth 15     
MARSH, Elias 10     
MARSH, Mary  6 Durham   
MARSH, Robt  2  Durham'
One person in particular that I would like to learn about is Elias junior who I understand becomes a mariner.
1n 1851 his address was 151 Williamson St. Monkswearmouth.
 Could anybody please give me any tips on locating any records I may find at the archive which may be relevant to him (or anybody else).

Also if there might be anything on an Elais Marsh  who was awarded thhs
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/1262/30850_A001046-02374/1120822?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3frank%3d1%26new%3d1%26tid%3d55078199%26tpid%3d13919673921%26ssrc%3dpt_t55078199_p13919673921%26MSAV%3d1%26msT%3d1%26gss%3dangs-c%26gsfn%3dElias%26gsln%3dMarsh%26msbdy%3d1832%26msbpn__ftp%3dLimehouse%2bSt%2bAnne%252c%2bEngland%26msrpn__ftp%3dMonkwearmouth%2bShore%252c%2bDurham%252c%2bEngland%26msfng0%3dElias%26msfns0%3dMarsh%26msmng0%3dSarah%26msmns0%3dCourt%26cpxt%3d1%26catBucket%3drstp%26uidh%3d2rx%26cp%3d11%26msbng0%3dMary%26msbns0%3dMarsh%26msbng1%3dRobert%26msbns1%3dMarsh%26msbng2%3dJoseph%2bJohn%26msbns2%3dMarsh%26msbng3%3dJane%2bAnn%26msbns3%3dMarsh%26msbng4%3dSarah%26msbns4%3dMarsh%26msbng5%3dWilliam%26msbns5%3dMarsh%26msbng6%3dElizabeth%26msbns6%3dMarsh%26pcat%3d39%26h%3d1120822%26recoff%3d9%2b10%26db%3dMedalRolls%26indiv%3d1%26ml_rpos%3d1&ssrc=pt_t55078199_p13919673921&backlabel=ReturnRecord

Green, Stoke Poges
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Elias Marsh b. 1832 Mariner?
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 12:06 BST (UK) »
I recently visited the National Archive at Kew in order to follow up on family research. One of the documents that I found was in the collection http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res?_q=BT+113%2F240 and was able to get a few details on page 265  that pertained to Elias Marsh, b. Sunderland 1832;
His Register Ticket No. 479625 was recorded as being issued  on the 13th Nov.1849. He was 5' 2”, of dark complexion with brown hair gray eyes (as spelled on original) when went to sea as an apprentice seaman in 1846. Apparently he could not write.
The document mostly consist of  Reported Voyages columns from 1845 – 1854.
They are not easy to represent on a forum but are filled out so as to mean as follows:
(Bold printed, Itallics pencil)
Out    Home

O (?)   S
-----------------
672   92
    6   51
-----------------
1729   92
12   57

1852   `
Out    Home

O    S
-----------------
1729   92
605(?)   12

1853   `
Out    Home

S
-----------------
1729   92

I did query the meaning of these figures while I was at the archive and ask if I might glean any more information from them trough other records. Unfortunately, I did not ask a person who gave me an what I consider to be a satisfactory answer.
I would be very grateful if anybody thinks that they can shed any more light on these details.

The only other information that I can give that may be of some significance to a person with more expertise at interpreting records than I, is the fact that the page is shared with details of three other seamen.
John Betty, b. Belfast 1832. Reported Voyages columns blank.
John Hayes, b. Southampton 27/5/1813. Reported Voyages columns filled in for 1851 and 1852
James Anellick (?) b. Bristol 7/8/1832. Reported Voyages columns blank.

With the exception of John Betty the Remarks column indicates
Kent

If anybody would like a copy for further examination, please PM me with your email and I will try and send you one.
Green, Stoke Poges
Wilson (Eton)
Wise