Author Topic: Tortoise, Newcastle and also Norfolk, any era  (Read 6963 times)

Offline Globalmum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tortoise, Newcastle and also Norfolk, any era
« on: Tuesday 15 May 12 22:30 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was Thomasina Tortoise, born in Newcastle at about 1909. She was from a large family and I think that her ancestors may have come from The Norfolk area. It's an unusual name and I am hoping to get more information to add to what I've already discovered. There seems to be a possibility that the spelling of the name sometimes appears as Tortice. I'm new to this site and would love to hear from anyone that might be able to shed light n this family history. 
Hopper, Felling, Gateshead
Wilson, Oakenshaw, County Durham
Tortoise and Tortice, Norfolk and Newcastle upon Tyne
Thornber, Padiham, Lancashire

Offline ruthie_gray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tortoise, Newcastle and also Norfolk, any era
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 00:12 BST (UK) »
There are Tortoises from Norfolk in my husband's family tree, so your post caught my eye!  I see from the 1911 Census record that Thomasina's father, William Henry, was born in abt 1869 in 'Elson', Norfolk. The consensus on Ancestry seems to be that his parents were Daniel Tortoise and Mary Matilda Spinks. These Tortoises link back to Daniel Tortoise born 1751 and Martha Dugdale born 1755, who are the 5 x great grandparents of my husband. There are some good transcripts to be found, including spelling variations on the name Tortoise, at http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/surnames.php?letter=T. Let me know if you would like me to give you further information!
Barnes: Brede, Sussex, England
Masters: Icklesham, Sussex, England
Horton: Kent, England
Henneker: Westwell, Kent, England
Rangecroft: London, England
Weller: London, England
Gray: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Keys: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Ogden: Lancashire, England

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 03:29 BST (UK) »
Durham and Northumberland Tortoise family originally for Aylsham, Norfolk.

The first instance of a Northern Tortoise is Jemima Tortoise, born 1872 Tantobie, Tanfield, County Durham, parents Daniel Tortoise and Mary M. both from Aylsham, Norfolk. Jemima married in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 1891. By 1891 the whole family are in Newcastle. William H. Tortoise, born Aylsham, is with the Daniel Tortoise family in Tanfield, 1881 and is an elder brother of Jemima. I had come across the name Tortoise at some time in my genealogy searches and its not a name easily forgotten. My specialty is Northwest County Durham and have done much work in the Tanfield area. 

This is the only one of their children that I found a baptism record for.
Elizabeth Tortoise,  Baptized:  18 NOV 1891   Benwell, Northumberland, England
Parents: Daniel Tortoise and Mary Matilda Tortoise. familyseach.org

Offline Globalmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Barryd and BeastMum.
It looks as if I'm distantly related to your husband BeastMum! I think that Martha Dugdale is my 5 times great-grandmother too.
I seem to be on the right track.
Kind regards
Lynn

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 June 12 18:56 BST (UK) »
What a really unusual surname!
Are there any Tortoises living today?
If it is a corruption or mis-spelling of, say, Tortice or Tourtoux- could it be a name of foreign/Huguenot/French origin?

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 June 12 00:58 BST (UK) »
Could not find any Tortoise in Northumberland and found one in Attleborough, Norfolk. BT.com. Tortoise is the dominant spelling onFree BMD

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 04:11 BST (UK) »

I was looking at all of the baptisms at the Parish Church of Burnopfield, County Durham today with the hope of filling in some gaps in my lines. I found nothing new, only two marriages and one baptism which I already had.

However I found three of your Tortoise children.

Tortoise Baptisms
St. James, Burnopfield, County Durham

Jemima and Joseph Thomas Tortoise both baptized on the same day, 7 July 1875, parents Daniel and Matilda Tortoise

Mary Matilda Tortoise baptized 29 June 1881, parents Daniel and Mary Matilda Tortoise

1891 Census Benwell, Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Jemima (19) born Tantobie, County Durham [she normally should have been baptized at St. Margaret, Tanfield, County Durham but delayed baptism put her in Burnopfield]
Joseph (17) born Hopson [actually Hobson] which is part of the parish of St. James, Burnopfield, County Durham
Mary (12) born/baptized same places as Joseph.

Offline Globalmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 09:21 BST (UK) »
Many thanks barryd, That's most interesting, they are indeed my grandmother Thomasina's siblings.  Kind regards, Lynn

I was looking at all of the baptisms at the Parish Church of Burnopfield, County Durham today with the hope of filling in some gaps in my lines. I found nothing new, only two marriages and one baptism which I already had.

However I found three of your Tortoise children.

Tortoise Baptisms
St. James, Burnopfield, County Durham

Jemima and Joseph Thomas Tortoise both baptized on the same day, 7 July 1875, parents Daniel and Matilda Tortoise

Mary Matilda Tortoise baptized 29 June 1881, parents Daniel and Mary Matilda Tortoise

1891 Census Benwell, Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Jemima (19) born Tantobie, County Durham [she normally should have been baptized at St. Margaret, Tanfield, County Durham but delayed baptism put her in Burnopfield]
Joseph (17) born Hopson [actually Hobson] which is part of the parish of St. James, Burnopfield, County Durham
Mary (12) born/baptized same places as Joseph.

Offline cp1956

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 July 15 12:13 BST (UK) »
Tortice and Tortoise surname in Aylsham Norfolk England.  I came across this blog on the surname some one asked if any of this family are still in the Aylsham district so I thought I would send a quick reply although I see this is an old blog. Yes there are still decendants in Norfolk I thought I would let you know that during the 1800's agriculture took a big decline in some parts with using labourers as such many needed to find work and opportunities came with the Industrial revolution in the north counties. My family are from Aylsham  and one of my ancestors married into this family Sarah Chamberlain married Henry Tortoise his decendants and some ancestors spelt the surname differently so this is why you must check both spellings. In my family the following surnames also travelled up to the northern counties Tyne n Wear area they were Hagon, Doughty, Tortice, Chamberlain sometimes spelt Chamberlin Hagon sometimes spelt Hagen so as you can see it is sometimes difficult to find our ancestors. Many of my family distant relations still live in around Aylsham as well as north thank you for putting up this information as some of what is here will be of help to me .. Carol Peck Tasmania Australia