Author Topic: Troy Family + Murphy & Kavanagh  (Read 4430 times)

Offline wombat47

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Troy Family + Murphy & Kavanagh
« on: Wednesday 16 May 12 04:37 BST (UK) »
James TROY, born c.1819, son of Peter & Julia Troy, and wife, Bridget, also born c.1819, daughter of Watt (Watt? Could that have been Matt?) & Jan Wylie, arrived in Australia as Bounty Immigrants on the Earl Grey in 1840.

Both gave their Native Place as Derrylossary.

In 1855 James' brother, Thomas, born c.1818, arrived on the Golden Era, with children Bridget (13), Julia (9) and Michael (9).  No Mrs Troy so presume deceased.

I believe another brother, Michael, may have also come to Australia, but have not been able to confirm this.  There may also have been a sister.

In 1858 Daniel Kavanagh, wife Margaret, and their 8 children came to Australia.  Margaret, born c.1809, daughter of Michael Murphy & Julia Unknown (as shown on her death registration), married Daniel c.1834 at Glendalough and subsequently moved to Coolbeg, where Griffiths Valuation shows that Daniel rented a house and forge.

Once in Australia, they made their way to the Maitland area and rented a farm on the  Anambah Estate, where James Troy lived, having rented a farm on the estate some years previously.

James Troy was killed in a dray accident in 1879 near Anambah.  A newspaper report refers to James Cavanagh (son of Daniel) "nephew of the deceased" coming to his aid.

I am of the belief that James Troy was the brother of Margaret - but the different fathers' names is a bit of a puzzle.

Could Julia have been married to Michael before she was married to Peter,  or
Could Michael have been known as Peter?
Could Margaret have been married previously, or did someone make a mistake on her death registration - could her mother's name have been Murphy?

The name Peter was not given to any of the sons of James Troy, Thomas Troy or Margaret Kavanagh, whereas all had sons named Michael (and the suspected brother, Michael, only had daughters).

Any assistance or ideas on this little puzzle would be greatly appreciated, as would any information on the families mentioned. 

Many thanks
Barbara