Author Topic: Curran  (Read 1316 times)

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Curran
« on: Thursday 17 May 12 00:41 BST (UK) »
In 1891 Census, John Joseph Curran is a licensed victualler.  Place of census was 19 London Road.  A son was named Frederick but he appears to be missing in the census.  He was b 1883 if age is correct on his marriage certificate to a Maggie Clazey in 1914.  Frederick's occupation in County Durham was Publican marriage certificate.  Maggie died a year later in childbirth....these two were in Hertfordshire at that time.  Did his father remain in Nottinghamshire....and for how long? 
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Curran
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 May 12 06:16 BST (UK) »
Was the Frederick you are looking for born in Sunderland?

If so, then this looks a better bet for him and his father in 1891?
Reference RG12, Piece 4139, Folio 28, Page 50
3 Meaburn street (Beer House), Bishop Wearmouth

Curran, John  Head  M  37  Innkeeper  b Sunderland
Curran, Elizabeth  Wife  F  33  b Sunderland
Curran, Frederick  Son  M  9  b Sunderland

The marriage is on FreeBMD:
December qtr 1913
Sunderland district    vol 10a, page 1281

Curran, Frederick
Clazey, Maggie
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 May 12 06:29 BST (UK) »
The family in 1901:
Reference RG13, 4712, 118, 51
Burton Arms, 3 & 4 Meaburn Street, Sunderland

Curran, John  Head  M  46  Beer Retailer  b Sunderland
Curran, Elizabeth  Wife  F  43  b Sunderland
Curran, Frederick  Son  M  19  Articled Clerk  b Sunderland
Curran, Eliza  Neice  F  20  b Sunderland

Frederick is a Law Clerk on the later census.
Are you sure the marriage certificate said that Frederick was a Publican, or was that his father's occupation?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 May 12 09:18 BST (UK) »
I went back and checked the certificate.  Frederick is a barman....is that the same as a law clerk?  His father, John, is listed as a Waslicensed victualler.  Shame on me, I had made an "assumption"!  Was thinking of occupation in more modern terms and American at that!  Thank you very much!
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline pencot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 October 12 18:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you KGarrad.  You have solved a mystery for me.  :) The Burton Arms!  My Great Grandfather Christopher Brantingham was listed as manager of an Alehouse at 3 Meaburn Street in the 1911 Census.  I have tried finding this place on Google maps etc, but I dont think it is there anymore - although I may be wrong.  I have been trying to find out what the Alehouse was called. Christopher Brantingham and his wife Agnes, and also the eldest son George worked there and it was also their home.  I have a photos taken in the back garden. 

In the 1904 Trade Directory, Robert Marshall is listed at 3 & 4 Meaburn Street.
Thanks again.
Brantingham, Iley, Younger, Puttick, Cottingham, Potts,Wheatland, Hopper, Spours, Jolly, Fox

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 October 12 23:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the help.  Maggie died during childbirth a year after the marriage.  I did send for and received her death certificate.

sharon