Author Topic: Evan evans  (Read 2619 times)

Offline emlyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Evan evans
« on: Thursday 17 May 12 12:37 BST (UK) »
I am trying to ascertain the date of death of Evan evans,I have him on the 1881 census aged 70 reg district Newcastle Emlyn and have tracked him back to 1841 census,estimated birth year is always 1811 and 1810,the Evan evans I have on the1891 census is 87 and estimated birth year is 1804,and living in dolbryn and not danrhelyg as on previous census,however the other household member on the 1891 census fits in terms of age and name.i have looked on free bmd and am not sure which Evan evans is likely to be mine.
Any advice appreciated
Thnk you.
Watts pembs
Evans carms
Thomas penboyr carms, llandyfriog cards
Phillips verwig cards
Williams St Dogmaels cards
Ladd cards

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Evan evans
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 May 12 15:53 BST (UK) »
if you look at the actual census image, the address in 1891 is Danyrhelyg, Dolbryn is the name of the hamlet. It shows as that on the 1871 as well. Also, on the image, Evan's age in 1891 looks more like 81, although there is an enumerator's mark over the number.

There look to be 3 possible death regs for Evans aged 82 in 1892, so perhaps trying the registrars rather than the GRO would be the way to go

http://www.carmarthenshire.gov.uk/english/living/registrars/pages/familyhistory.aspx

I think he's one of the ones whose death is registered in the june qtr 1892 as I have access to some burials and his was 26/5/1892.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline emlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 May 12 16:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your helpful reply,I will contact the registrar at Carmarthen re death certificate,i am wondering where I should look for record of his birth abt 1810,am i correct  in thinking registrars office don't go back that far.Im guessing he was probably non conformist but i can't be certain. My ultimate aim is to trace the evans surname back as far as I can.
Watts pembs
Evans carms
Phillips verwig cards
Ladd cards

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 May 12 17:45 BST (UK) »
normally, first thing to do would be to get his marriage cert which would give you his father's name & occupation, but he looks to have married before the start of civil registration. Do you have a birth cert for one of the children to confirm his wife's maiden name so that you can find the marriage? Names of witnesses on the marriage may be relatives. Having said that, I can see a likely marriage 6/3/1833 to Elizabeth Davies in Penboyr. You can get a copy of the parish entry from the record office in Carmarthen
http://www.carmarthenshire.gov.uk/english/education/archives/Pages/Home.aspx

If Evan was non-conformist you may not find a baptism so going further back would be difficult if you can't find his father's name. Before the start of civil registration in 1837, there is no registration, just parish records. For marriages to be legal, they had to be in a parish church, only exceptions being for Quakers & Jews. Baptisms are another matter as survival of non-conformist baptisms is patchy and some denominations don't practise infant baptism.
I've had a quick look at the NLW wills and haven't spotted anything that looks like the correct  family.

http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon?skin=profeb&lng=en

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline emlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 May 12 18:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply,I had got details of his marriage in1833 from free reg unfortunately parents and witnesses not recorded,but I will contact  Carmarthen Re parish record,as far as baptism goes he was most likely to have been of the baptist faith as his direct descendants were.
You have been very helpful
Much appreciated.
Watts pembs
Evans carms
Phillips verwig cards
Ladd cards

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 May 12 19:41 BST (UK) »
well, that's not going to help. Baptists don't baptise infants, but practise Believer's Baptism, and names of fathers don't usually show up on these records as the person being baptised is about 15. Looks like the church was Y Graig, no mention of helpful records on the Genuki page, the subscription records are probably too late to be of use to you.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/Cenarth/index.html#ChurchRecords

A couple of the early ministers have the surname Evans

http://www.newcastleemlyn.com/page22.html

Parish marriages don't have name of fathers, that appears from civil registration. There should be 2 witnesses though and if they are family, might help your research. One may be a brother who marries after civil registration if you're lucky.

Offline emlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 May 12 09:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for your help,something of particular interest to me emerged from the website in your last reply.if its permitted to send you a personal message I could share it.
Watts pembs
Evans carms
Phillips verwig cards
Ladd cards

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 May 12 09:37 BST (UK) »
you've made enough posts to send a pm, so click on the green scroll below the user name and send away!

;)